Backyard Wood Panel Privacy Fence

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who gets the good side of the fence?

• Flip a coin with the neighbor to see gets it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My neighbor just put up a fence this weekend without saying anything and it definitely doesn't meet city code. Hope he enjoys replacing half of it.

On the bright side at least he knew the good side faces out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My neighbor just put up a fence this weekend without saying anything and it definitely doesn't meet city code. Hope he enjoys replacing half of it.

So crazy western fort tall?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I assume you and the neighbor don’t get along? You telling him about his mistake are calling the city on him?

I got both fences of mine up. 20 post holes 42” deep. Took 2 afternoons to dig the holes. Manually dug them due to tree roots. One day to get the panels up and one morning to get the double gate installed. No more open compost pile to see and the barking dogs are a lot quieter. Even had another neighbor put one up late yesterday afternoon due to the same neighbors dogs barking.

Reactions: keepngoal

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did you guys get a survey before you did them? Or did you leave space to make sure you were covered.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I assume you and the neighbor don’t get along? You telling him about his mistake are calling the city on him?

I got both fences of mine up. 20 post holes 42” deep. Took 2 afternoons to dig the holes. Manually dug them due to tree roots. One day to get the panels up and one morning to get the double gate installed. No more open compost pile to see and the barking dogs are a lot quieter. Even had another neighbor put one up late yesterday afternoon due to the same neighbors dogs barking.
It's weird because it's a brand new neighbor and I tried to tell him his issues when he had just the corner posts in. He put the fence basically a foot away from the main gas line...

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did you guys get a survey before you did them? Or did you leave space to make sure you were covered.

I had a guy come with a metal detector and found the pins in the front yard. I also had the a copy of property map in our possesion and also looked it up on Beacon. I used the measurements off the maps to determine the layout lines. I then strung both property lines and put my corner post where the two lines crossed. You never know when Pythagorean theorem might come in handy. I used that it and low and below everything was square. My biggest issue was the corner post as it was about 2' from a utility pole and I had be careful of the marked underground power lines and buried cable lines. Once I started digging I came upon a 6" tree root from the neighbors tree they had taken down about 5 years prior. Thankfully it had decayed enough to get through it without a lot of issue. I even moved one neighbors chain link fence post close a gap. He was thrilled that I did it as he had wanted to but never got around to it. So it was a win/win for both of us.

If you do three things when you are going to put up a fence these would be the three things:

1. Talk with your neighbors about it first. It makes things so much easier.
2. Always call before you dig. I got all my electrical, cable, and gas marked out in a couple of days!!
3. Get a post level. This took the guess work out of making sure the post were level in all directions.

Reactions: NWICY

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a related question: Should I put siding on the inside or outside of my garage?

I would not put siding up on the inside of the garage. I would insulate and then put up either drywall or pegboard.

My dad did just insulate / finish a third stall garage by lining it with these "slatboards" all along the walls:

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...l/lamslatwallwhite/p-1444428251813-c-8168.htm

They really do well for holding all his heavy garden tools & other lawn equipment.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Need to install a chainlink fence with gate for a car because the neighbor is dumping trash and clippings on our property. Anybody recommend a resonable chainlink fence company in Des Moines?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Need to install a chainlink fence with gate for a car because the neighbor is dumping trash and clippings on our property. Anybody recommend a resonable chainlink fence company in Des Moines?

I would have it out with the neighbor, if that doesn't work, I would call the cops on them. Don't put up with that, they will just throw stuff over your fence if they are that big of Aholes.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
I would have it out with the neighbor, if that doesn't work, I would call the cops on them. Don't put up with that, they will just throw stuff over your fence if they are that big of Aholes.
I would but don't really want to get shot. I'm going to put up a camera too so I can catch him in the act.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
the privacy fences were obliterated during the derecho, just an fyi
chain link held up perfect, cept where trees fell
im going with lilac hedges

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I had quotes done for black chain link from a number of places for a house we were going to buy but didn’t. American, Des Moines Fence, Young, etc were all within about 100 bucks of each other. Your issue right now is going to be getting someone out. There are A LOT of fences needing fixed.

Reactions: AdRock4Cy