Backyard Wood Panel Privacy Fence

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

Who gets the good side of the fence?

• Flip a coin with the neighbor to see gets it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CyArob

Designator Of Dumb
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My neighbor just put up a fence this weekend without saying anything and it definitely doesn't meet city code. Hope he enjoys replacing half of it.

On the bright side at least he knew the good side faces out.

BoxsterCy

SuperFanatic
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My neighbor just put up a fence this weekend without saying anything and it definitely doesn't meet city code. Hope he enjoys replacing half of it.

So crazy western fort tall?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I assume you and the neighbor don’t get along? You telling him about his mistake are calling the city on him?

I got both fences of mine up. 20 post holes 42” deep. Took 2 afternoons to dig the holes. Manually dug them due to tree roots. One day to get the panels up and one morning to get the double gate installed. No more open compost pile to see and the barking dogs are a lot quieter. Even had another neighbor put one up late yesterday afternoon due to the same neighbors dogs barking.

Reactions: keepngoal

CyArob

Designator Of Dumb
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I assume you and the neighbor don’t get along? You telling him about his mistake are calling the city on him?

I got both fences of mine up. 20 post holes 42” deep. Took 2 afternoons to dig the holes. Manually dug them due to tree roots. One day to get the panels up and one morning to get the double gate installed. No more open compost pile to see and the barking dogs are a lot quieter. Even had another neighbor put one up late yesterday afternoon due to the same neighbors dogs barking.
It's weird because it's a brand new neighbor and I tried to tell him his issues when he had just the corner posts in. He put the fence basically a foot away from the main gas line...

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did you guys get a survey before you did them? Or did you leave space to make sure you were covered.
I had a guy come with a metal detector and found the pins in the front yard. I also had the a copy of property map in our possesion and also looked it up on Beacon. I used the measurements off the maps to determine the layout lines. I then strung both property lines and put my corner post where the two lines crossed. You never know when Pythagorean theorem might come in handy. I used that it and low and below everything was square. My biggest issue was the corner post as it was about 2' from a utility pole and I had be careful of the marked underground power lines and buried cable lines. Once I started digging I came upon a 6" tree root from the neighbors tree they had taken down about 5 years prior. Thankfully it had decayed enough to get through it without a lot of issue. I even moved one neighbors chain link fence post close a gap. He was thrilled that I did it as he had wanted to but never got around to it. So it was a win/win for both of us.

If you do three things when you are going to put up a fence these would be the three things:

1. Talk with your neighbors about it first. It makes things so much easier.
2. Always call before you dig. I got all my electrical, cable, and gas marked out in a couple of days!!
3. Get a post level. This took the guess work out of making sure the post were level in all directions.

Reactions: NWICY

Gorm

Jul 6, 2010
Amana, IA
I have a related question: Should I put siding on the inside or outside of my garage?
I would not put siding up on the inside of the garage. I would insulate and then put up either drywall or pegboard.

My dad did just insulate / finish a third stall garage by lining it with these "slatboards" all along the walls:

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...l/lamslatwallwhite/p-1444428251813-c-8168.htm

They really do well for holding all his heavy garden tools & other lawn equipment.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN