Aubrey Joens Transferring

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sometimes you really do like a lot of stuff about where you are, but you can get even more by leaving. The grass isn’t always greener and a lot of athletes will learn this lesson the hard way based on how the portal has operated so far, but it seems like in her case the writing was on the wall as to her role and she decided she wanted to play a lot more, even if it meant she had to leave.

I get what you are saying...but sometimes the grass is greener. Who knows unless she takes a chance? She seems to be a great kid and certainly we would have liked her to stay...her choice! Good for her! And it is a bit ironic that her sister deciding to stay is one of the reasons Aubrey would have a difficult time getting on the court. At least the fact that her sister decided to stay helps people realize this wasn't really about a disgruntled player/family.

Reactions: BenEClone

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They won’t touch her dad with a 10 foot pole.

That might be...but there is more to that story. The feeling might be mutual. Besides...Iowa has an alpha dog that has played a lot with Aubree over the years and Aubree might be OK not having that experience again.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Hopefully its to go somewhere where she knows she can start and play more. I mean, we don't know about Fritz yet and Diew has really come on. And just maybe, even tho they are close sisters, she doesn't want to be 'the other' Joens sister on the court. Just throwing anything and everything out there...but I would rather she would stay. Good luck to her.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I will always appreciate and in awe of those who have been part of the “iowaStateWay” on their life journey. I’m honored to have witnessed part of it.

Reactions: bawbie and NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The entire situation is one that those of us outside of family and team can only guess about. IMO we have to hope her statements are accurate and she is leaving (a) in good standing and feelings towards ISU and (b) in search of a team that she can have a higher level of contribution. I honestly felt she could have created a bigger role as a part of the Sisters, but it would have been difficult to break through a ten minute per game level. Some have mentioned not wanting to see her at Iowa. While Iowa has a 1-2 punch and then a big drop off it’s possible Aubrey could contribute there. BUT everyone knows what happened to the last ISU player who fell into that gapping pit. Wishing her the best and I hope she finds a team she can be a major part of.

Reactions: NWICY

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Hate to see her leave as she is a player who always gave it her all on the court. Hope she finds a team that needs her skills. IMO it is wanting more playing time and we have a number of players who all want time and only 200 minutes a game to be shared. Everyone wants every player to be a great player but when they all are there is not enough minutes to keep them all happy. I will not be surprised to see more leave in future years with the caliber of players we are getting. That is the curse of good recruiting some players leave.

Reactions: NWICY

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I heard Wil Smith will be playing the Joens Dad in his next movie because he running out of opportunities to find reputable work after his Oscar's fiasco.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Go Gophers! No info I just want her here in Minneapolis.

I was thinking Sooners because of the Jennie B. connection. Also a good fit for her style and Sooners current style.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Win - win! Nobody wishes ill on Aubrey but she wants to play and there’s a serious logjam at the off guard slot. MEM started as a youngster before stress fractures set her back. Same with Fritz. Nobody was more improved than Ny Diew. What do we have in the incoming Dawkins?

Aubrey joins her HS point guard at Marquette (my prediction) and ISU opens a scholarship for Kennedy Brown.

Attrition isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially when there are high caliber players in the portal - I wouldn’t mind if one more sought a change in scenery - we could afford to lose a post or two. JMHO - the conference title is there for the taking - time to be bold!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This isn’t really a surprise. Lots of factors that likely have contributed to this decision. Her performance offensively dropped dramatically at the last part of the season. That led to fewer minutes. Then you have post season meetings and expectations. Also remember entering the portal doesn’t mean leaving, but we shouldn’t be surprised to see her scholarship get used quickly.

From the outside it seems from the end of the year rotation and 2023 recruiting Bill is looking to get bigger at the 3 and 4. So Aubrey has to look and the 1 and 2 and see major roadblocks in her own class.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
She was one of my favorite players (soft spot for shooters), but this makes sense. She lost some mojo late in the season, and I don't think her defense was ever up to BF's expectations for rotation players. She was often lost on that end, but it wasn't for a lack of effort. I got the sense from watching her that she has been a scorer and not much else for most of her life. I loved her willingness to mix it up inside for rebounds. She'll help someone, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her have a nice year for a good team.