At-Larges

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Took a quick look to see if Degen might be able to sneak in to getting seeded. I think the answer is probably no. He was #20 in the last coaches panel. Here's his results against other qualifiers. They haven't released the post-conference tournaments coaches panel yet so these rankings are outdated but probably haven't changed a whole lot.

4-7 L to #2 Brandon Sorenson (Iowa)
5-7 L to #7 Max Thomsen (UNI)
5-11 L to #7 Max Thomsen (UNI)
9-11 (SV-1) L to #14 Boo Lewallan (Oklahoma State)
7-13 L to #14 Boo Lewallan (Oklahoma State)
4-5 L to #18 Micheal Sprague (American)
13-14 L to #22 Khristian Olivas (Fresno State)
20-5 W over #26 Sam Turner (Wyoming)
7-3 W over #26 Sam Turner (Wyoming)
8-5 W #26 over Sam Turner (Wyoming)
11-6 W over #27 Davion Jeffries (Oklahoma)
5-9 L to #27 Davion Jeffries (Oklahoma)
9-5 W over UR Dane Robbins (Air Force)

So 5-8 (Thanks for all the matches Sam Turner) with his best win being his yearlong ownage of #26 Turner and his worst loss being to #27 Jeffries. Given that I don't think there's a need to delve further in to the criteria, I don't see him getting a seed. Which isn't all bad. Sometimes it can be better to get a random draw than get seeded in the 13-16 range. The risk is he draws a really tough first match and gets dropped straight to consolations.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Interesting, no big wins, doesn't place in top 6 at Big 12s, Loses to Holsclag and Dixon, but beats Hokit (who Colbray lost to)

He had earned an allocation for the conference and there were five spots initially available for at-larges with him getting passed over. So they'd already given spots to 3 guys who hadn't earned an allocation. I think at that point the pool just was getting really weak and there probably weren't many guys left that met the at-large criteria so a limited resume was enough.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Kevin Beasley of Michigan is the guy that withdrew from the tourney at 197. I think he just transferred from Old Dominion as a Grad transfer.

Wolverine Kevin Beazley forced to withdraw from NCAAs due to injury. » http://myumi.ch/6xNmE

DXtae8eWkAA-Y1X.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Judoka