Are we cautiously optimistic or all in?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
When we hit shots.. This team is Top 25 good. Our weakness is our post play. Teams will figure that out and we will struggle.

But the defensive effort will make most games at least competitive.

I think Jaz and Enaruna are the X factors for this team. If we can get 16/8 from those two combined for every game. We will have a chance at the big dance

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I kept hearing Fran and co talk about Memphis’ defense and yeah it’s stifling but then i would look at the score and would say ok but we have 70 points against this AMAZING defense and we are supposed to be limited offensively.
Memphis did have a good defense, and very athletic. I kept thinking they would come back or get closer. Every time I looked in the 2nd half we were still up 10-12 points or more. Amazing. Every run they tried we had an answer, stayed ahead and expanded the lead.

And yes we have a little bit of an offense as well. Love the effort and defense though. That alone will keep us in a lot of games.

Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm cautiously optimistic but also am pleasantly surprised with this team so far. I was skeptical of the TJ hire when it happened because I thought this job could attract much more proven head coaches but I will gladly eat some crow as I love how this team gets after it on defense. If that is how TJ is going to coach this team I will be a happy fan because great defense will make up for bad offense any night. We have been lacking this kind of energy and effort on the defensive end pretty much since we fired Eustachy. Morgan's teams played no defense, GMac's teams did at times but not consistently, and Fred and Prohm's teams didn't play much defense at all and relied on out-scoring the opponent with a fast paced game and 3 point shooting.

I think as long as we keep after it on defense like we have been we're going to be in a lot of games because I don't think this team is built to consistently score 80+a night but if they can keep the score in the 60's and 70's they will be in a position to win. The Big 12 is going to be tough this year. We still have 2 good tests coming up @ Creighton and against Iowa. I will be very impressed if we come away undefeated in the non-conference going into Big 12 play with a home opener at Hilton against a possible top 10 Baylor team that has a lot of height and size that we probably don't match up well against. Kansas always gets better as the season goes on, Texas is currently top 10, there are 6 games right there we will have to play our best games against to have a chance to win. It's still very early but I have always been behind every ISU team regardless of coach or expectations so I am excited with what I have seen so far but know there is still a lot of season left to play out.

Reactions: t-noah

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's pretty much inevitable that we'll get worn down in the dog days.

Getting King in and eligible in three weeks could really help.

Reactions: NoCreativity

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Really really don't want to put the cart before the horse here but make it through the out of conference unscathed at 12-0 and go .500 or better in conference play they are a shoo-in for the NCAA tournament. Madness! Win @Creighton and beat the Hawks in Hilton I'm all in!
8-10 in conference is also automatic in that scenario, at least on the play-in line.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Memphis was a good match up for us. While they are tall, they don't have a skilled big man in the paint (like Xavier does with Nunge). I don't see how we can hang with Baylor's bigs, but not too many teams in the country will be able to do that.
Not to mention we play better in Allen Fieldhouse than that little volleyball arena they stuff us in down in Waco. It's been a house of horrors.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
When we hit shots.. This team is Top 25 good. Our weakness is our post play. Teams will figure that out and we will struggle.

But the defensive effort will make most games at least competitive.

I think Jaz and Enaruna are the X factors for this team. If we can get 16/8 from those two combined for every game. We will have a chance at the big dance
I think the teams nationally that can expose that weakness are limited in 2021.

Purely speculating but imagine Baylor and Gonzaga are few on that list.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm more worried about Creighton than Iowa. McDermott though he failed at ISU is a better coach than Fran.

Reactions: mkadl

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really don't care. We're watchable in year one of a new coach. That's enough to satisfy me for the season. Anything after that is just an added extra.

After last year, when ISU was not remotely watchable, this has been a crazy good surprise. TJ really found some gems in the transfer market, and the guys that bought in are flourishing on both ends of the court. The expectations for this years team are way higher than a month ago, and that is pretty cool.

At this point my biggest concerns are injuries. With only 10 guys some of them, like Hunter are going to be playing a lot of minutes. Guys are going to get beat up and have to play less or take games off.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY
Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
I am cautiously optimistic. I came into the season not expecting much but I have been pleasantly surprised at how hard this team plays despite not having some of the names/talent as other P5 schools.

Even after win against Memphis, I want to tamper my expectations but I believe that no one can deny that Cyclone basketball is back on the rise.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am cautiously optimistic. I came into the season not expecting much but I have been pleasantly surprised at how hard this team plays despite not having some of the names/talent as other P5 schools.

Even after win against Memphis, I want to tamper my expectations but I believe that no one can deny that Cyclone basketball is back on the rise.
the great thing is it's not just the style of play, or how they are playing, but Cyclone bb is on the rise because of TJs ability to recruit as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron