Are we cautiously optimistic or all in?

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I’ve been cautiously optimistic coming into this year and so far every game this year but with how hard this team plays and how much havoc they cause defensively I think tj has got Iowa state basketball back
Balls deep.

Placed a $10 bet on ISU to win the Big 12. It will make me $1500. Should have bet $1000 . Odds are still +10,000....

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere in the middle. Don’t want to get my expectations too high considering the circumstances coming into the season but they play with high effort and intensity, move the ball well, and are simply fun to watch. Incredibly well coached. TJ has put everything he preached into practice in a matter of a month. Hopefully they can keep this train rolling. I could see around .500 in Big 12 play, competing for a bubble spot.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Memphis was a good match up for us. While they are tall, they don't have a skilled big man in the paint (like Xavier does with Nunge). I don't see how we can hang with Baylor's bigs, but not too many teams in the country will be able to do that.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Still cautious, which is not what I expected to be right now. Will probably be that way until we get a little deep into conference play. My expectations no longer exist though, it's just a matter of seeing what this team can become. Could see it falling off a cliff in conference, could see us finishing as high as 4th. No clue.

Now, lets beat the **** out of Creighton and Iowa and do a little revenge tour.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All I know is we absolutely beat down two top 25 teams, ONE who was supposedly up there as the most talented team in the nation. Not saying I’m drinking the kool aid yet, but I’m sipping it :)

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones12321

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I think some of Tim or Larry's teams were coached this well. But it's been a while.
I do not EVER remember any team with the help D and recovery that thus team does. Thus far they are proving to be high effort AND smart. We've had better 1on1 defenders and dominant players. But this team is being coached to be consistent for a longer period per game than ANY team I've seen here since Johnny started roaming Hilton's floor.

Last edited:

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
All I know is we absolutely beat down two top 25 teams, ONE who was supposedly up there as the most talented team in the nation. Not saying I’m drinking the kool aid yet, but I’m sipping it :)
Let's be honest, we did not beat a team tonight. We beat a collection of 1on1 all atars that likely don't know each other's names (or care to).

However, they were fairly talented and we slowly crushed the life out of them. It still makes me smile.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Let's be honest, we did not beat a team tonight. We beat a collection of 1on1 all atars that likely don't know each other's names (or care to).

However, they were fairly talented and we slowly crushed the life out of them. It still makes me smile.
Those guys don't know each other?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Understand what you’re saying, but we still beat a talented collection of individuals. And as you said, we crushed the life out of them. That’s a big statement.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Here’s what I would say after watching both games live in Brooklyn…

They are far from the most talented team we’ve had, but it’s probably been Floyd/Larry years since we’ve had a team play this hard.

Memphis has at least 2 future lottery picks on their team and you could tell from the first possession no one on our team gave a $hit. Our defensive intensity is off the charts and more impressive in person than I expected. there was absolutely zero intimidation. If anything, we were totally in their head and they had no idea what hit them.

Gabe forced Bates to over dribble, take pull up fade always from deep, and had him totally gassed within minutes. Brockington was not playing well tonight after a career game Wednesday, but is as tough a player as we’ve had in a long time. Kunc is getting blocks and rebounds over a top 5 pick despite the fact he’s probably giving up 50 pounds. Tyrese got a little flustered tonight with the press, but literally no one on the team hung their head or fussed about it. He does some things you expect from a true freshman, but is fearless and has elite athleticism.

You can tell no one needs or wants to be the hero. Seems like very little ego on this team. Only thing that makes me sad is to think what could have been if guys like Foster, Hinson, Coleman Lands, and Bolton didn’t completely give up if the program. But maybe that’s what makes this team what it is.

If Gabe shoots like he has been up to this point it’s a tight game tonight, but I still think we would have won because of defense, rebounding, ball movement, and effort. Which is what’s been missing for years. Truth be told we could have won by 30 tonight.

Gabe stole the show with his stat line, but was most impressed by Kunc to be honest given the talent he was matched up against.

I’m not sure if I’m “all in” in terms of them having a really high ceiling, but if they continue to play like this there isn’t a game they’ll be completely out of.

It’s been a different guy each of the last few nights. Kunc goes off, Brickington goes off, now Gabe. TJ is getting more ROI from the talent level than any coach/team of ours I’ve seen in a long time.

I just hope we don’t get ranked and it goes to their head. They’ve got plenty of confidence right now and don’t want them to lose the chip on their shoulder.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
It's November. Nobody is beyond the bubble in November (yes I realize Gonzaga is not missing the NCAA Tournament) because unforeseen things can happen or teams can peak too early, etc. Remember Iowa from a few years back where they got up to #5 (something like that)? They found themselves in February and early March fighting to stay on the good side of the bubble.

We keep playing like this and don't have anything pop up unexpectedly then we will be fine down the home stretch.
Those guys don't know each other?
I bet they don't really care about any of the other players. Every one of them needed to win the game going 1on5. Even their D depended on being lanky and OCCASIONALLY cooperating with one other person to put on an ineffective, if not foul drawing trap.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Big 12 grind is real.
and that is why I hope we get King. We will have injuries plus not sure how dependable Jones is. I love his effort, he tries really hard, but my goodness he is struggling hitting 2 ft shots.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
as hard as this team plays, the cumulative effect of that could wear them down in a month or two. We may need more depth, hopefully King commits and buys in.

Reactions: t-noah

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I’m all in. That doesn’t mean that I think we are looking at an undefeated season, it means that I plan on watching this team all year long. I love the effort by this team. I also like that everyone is contributing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron