Are we being to harsh

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
People are way, way, way too harsh about last season.

This season is completely fair game.

I do think you can see what the formula for success next season would have to be - Jackson and Grill hitting shots and playing defense, Young scoring down low, and Blackwell/Johnson playing good D on the perimeter, Bolton shoring up some deficiencies and just being a scorer. Again Prohm and this crew will have every opportunity to prove those of us doubting them wrong.

BTW TCU sucks. If Kenpom is to believed they are worse than us, and they are injured, so I'm not going to be getting giddy over it. Fun game, glad I was there, glad the kids got to have some success.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's okay to just admit that Prohm is in over his head here. He has an incomplete roster, doesn't know how to teach basic defense fundamentals, is too stubborn with roster changes, and his teams play soft. He simply under performs as a coach at Iowa State.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Thinking about what we lost after last year? I think I might have just expected to much this season. We lost THT, Wigginton, Shayok. That’s is a ton of scoring and talent.

I think I am changing my thought process and want to see what we are
Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has had some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.

You're rethinking your tune after a win at home over a ****** TCU team?

No wonder Rhoads was allowed to suck here for too long.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
Solo, Bolton, and Jackson returning next year certainly gives a little hope for next year- thats not a bad trio to have return together. Grill has shown some toughness the last couple games as well

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Prohm deserves some criticism and I have some of my own towards him. He does not deserve as much as he's getting though.

My biggest things are that he seems to wait too long to fix something then it's too late. He needs to reshuffle some coaches this summer. Let him focus on recruiting and let his coaches focus on game plans/xs and os ect.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Prohm can develop players. TH, Burton, Babb, Naz, Matty Ice, Nader, Monte all saw significant growth under Prohm. He can also recruit, probably too well at this point for our programs perennial potentials. It's obvious he needs to get better in the games though.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Certainly this win was needed for many people’s sanity but besides the last 1.45 that second half was god awful. Besides recruiting (not downplaying this), what are Prohms strengths?

Of course, fanatics are a bit crazy by definition.

He's got lots of strengths and you are being obtuse to ignore them. He's recruited more one and dones than any coach in isu history. He's really good character and fit. I do think he needs an experienced x and os help.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
A win over a depleted TCU team, at home, changed your thought process?
A game in which Nixon was ALLOWED to play extended minutes which damn near was a game losing decision?

I understand we lost a lot, but the coaching decisions remain really realy bad. With a less talented roster the coaching decisions stand out even more.

I don't disagree that given what we lost and then having TH hurt likely ending up around 0.500 isn't that far off from reasonable expectations.

It's the coaching decisions that drive me nuts though. There are multiple examples we can talk through, but playing Nixon that much when he continued to make awful decisions over and over is just inexcusable. He was 1 for 10 with 4 turnovers and kept taking bad shots throughout the stretch in the second half when TCU made their run. As a coach that has to be corrected. People will have bad shooting nights. I'm ok with that. Nixon's bad shooting night came from awful shot selection. That can't be allowed and has continued to be allowed all season.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Prohm can develop players. TH, Burton, Babb, Naz, Matty Ice, Nader, Monte all saw significant growth under Prohm. He can also recruit, probably too well at this point for our programs perennial potentials. It's obvious he needs to get better in the games though.

The issue is 6 of the 7 of those weren't his players. Of the players he recruited, who has he made significantly better? Haliburton, yes. Wiggington (no), THT (no), Conditt (maybe?), Griffin (no), Nixon (hell no), Lard (maybe?), Lewis (no), Jackson (not yet), Grill (not yet).

So where is all of this player development coming from?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I understand we lost a lot, but the coaching decisions remain really realy bad. With a less talented roster the coaching decisions stand out even more.

I don't disagree that given what we lost and then having TH hurt likely ending up around 0.500 isn't that far off from reasonable expectations.

It's the coaching decisions that drive me nuts though. There are multiple examples we can talk through, but playing Nixon that much when he continued to make awful decisions over and over is just inexcusable. He was 1 for 10 with 4 turnovers and kept taking bad shots throughout the stretch in the second half when TCU made their run. As a coach that has to be corrected. People will have bad shooting nights. I'm ok with that. Nixon's bad shooting night came from awful shot selection. That can't be allowed and has continued to be allowed all season.

I agree that he makes a lot of mistakes but don't all coaches? I mean Matt Campbell has made some seriously strange decisions as our football coach (QB Sneak for example). I think this year Prohm has had trouble finding the right guys at the right moments. Not sure what the strategy with Nixon is. Maybe just thinks he is the better option than guys sitting on the bench. I disagree with giving Nixon time right now with his horrible decision making.

I also think that with next years recruiting class we will be getting more stable with the program. We will have more of a team than we have had in the past. We have had to many guys who have just wanted to get to the NBA. That is never good unless they are top 5 players. I just think starting over right now will make it even worse. I want to see Steve with a complete team. Next years team has a pretty solid core coming back with Solo coming on and showing some offense. Grill and Jackson seem to be starting to figure it out a little. If we add a transfer, we could do pretty good next year and set it up really nice for the year after.

BTW I have been a big "Fire Prohm" guy most of the season. Just sitting back last night and thinking it over might have changed the way I am thinking about it.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
The issue is 6 of the 7 of those weren't his players. Of the players he recruited, who has he made significantly better? Haliburton, yes. Wiggington (no), THT (no), Conditt (maybe?), Griffin (no), Nixon (hell no), Lard (maybe?), Lewis (no), Jackson (not yet), Grill (not yet).

So you aren't giving him credit for developing certain players just because he didnt recruit them initially? Even though they definitely improved under him?

d67af61d0685d773074d742bcf0d86b4d964a10cb76e4b0ad7c678aba5c2385f.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Thinking about what we lost after last year? I think I might have just expected to much this season. We lost THT, Wigginton, Shayok. That’s is a ton of scoring and talent.

I think I am changing my thought process and want to see what we are
Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has had some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.

Nope, not being too harsh at all. It's Steve's job to put a competitive product on the floor. I get we lost some pieces, but:

A) Alot of that was expected. Shayok was a senior. Wigginton made it clear he was gone. THT we knew was gone after pretty much November of last year. He had plenty of time to plan for this, and

B) Every coach deals with attrition. It's just not an excuse.

We lost to Florida A&M which was the biggest upset per ESPN BPI in something like 18 years. We got run out of the gym by Iowa. We have 7 loses in conference by double digits, with 5 of those being by 20+ points.

Hell, even in a win last night he couldn't do much to instill confidence in the fan base. That was a bad, bad TCU team, and we still did our best to blow a sizable lead. We had 8 second half fieldgoals.

I can understand some teams will be better than others, and there are years we wont make the tournament. But it's not being overly "harsh" when you put into perspective that this team has been historically bad.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Who cares if he recruited them? I don't. I think Steve recruits fine when he has the room to.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I agree that he makes a lot of mistakes but don't all coaches? I mean Matt Campbell has made some seriously strange decisions as our football coach (QB Sneak for example). I think this year Prohm has had trouble finding the right guys at the right moments. Not sure what the strategy with Nixon is. Maybe just thinks he is the better option than guys sitting on the bench. I disagree with giving Nixon time right now with his horrible decision making.

I also think that with next years recruiting class we will be getting more stable with the program. We will have more of a team than we have had in the past. We have had to many guys who have just wanted to get to the NBA. That is never good unless they are top 5 players. I just think starting over right now will make it even worse. I want to see Steve with a complete team. Next years team has a pretty solid core coming back with Solo coming on and showing some offense. Grill and Jackson seem to be starting to figure it out a little. If we add a transfer, we could do pretty good next year and set it up really nice for the year after.

BTW I have been a big "Fire Prohm" guy most of the season. Just sitting back last night and thinking it over might have changed the way I am thinking about it.
He gets next year so it's moot anyway. We will all find out.