Are we being to harsh

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think that Nixon is horrible, he's just being asked to do too much at this level. If somehow, we had LW and THT on this team, Nixon would be a backup guard and defender. I think that he would do just fine in that role. Or even if Lewis would have upped his game, we would have a lineup of TH, Bolton, Lewis, THT, Solo...that's a bubble team at worst.

I agree with everything that's here. However, I still believe that if a guy's ceiling is backup guard and defender he's not worth burning two years of scholarship for one year of production.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I agree with everything that's here. However, I still believe that if a guy's ceiling is backup guard and defender he's not worth burning two years of scholarship for one year of production.

Depends on the year you're planning on having. There are times when we really could have used a player like Nixon and that would have been worth 2 years of scholarship. It's not like we were full this year anyway. As bad as he's been at times, this season would have been worse without him.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Wow. Just. Wow.

i mean I get that you guys are what you are. But what a terrible thing to say about the players on this team.

you should feel bad, but you’re not capable.

Why should I feel bad or give a rip what you think? My opinion of you is very low.

I'm not talking about the character of these guys. They just aren't very good (Big 12 level) players. They're grown men by the way. If they actually read this, they should be able to take it. But, I doubt they give a rip what I think. They shouldn't. If they're combing Cyclonefanatic and worrying about what we are saying, then that's another issue altogether.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Depends on the year you're planning on having. There are times when we really could have used a player like Nixon and that would have been worth 2 years of scholarship. It's not like we were full this year anyway. As bad as he's been at times, this season would have been worse without him.

There is never a good time to burn a 2 for 1 on an individual who will not start for your team. You can get that exact player through grad transfer route without tying up a scholly for 2 years or through the JUCO route and get two years of production.

And Prentiss has been horrendous from an offensive efficiency standpoint. It shouldn’t not have been unforeseen given his CSU career but the fact he is taking 11 shots per game for us is unthinkable when you consider he shoots 34% from the field and 24% from 3 pt range. And the shot selection that is being displayed to Jackson and Grill by Prentiss is just insane.

I disagree vehemently that it could be worse without him. As bad as Caleb might be on offense he is at least aware of his offensive limitations something that Nixon is immune to.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Why should I feel bad or give a rip what you think? My opinion of you is very low.

I'm not talking about the character of these guys. They just aren't very good (Big 12 level) players. They're grown men by the way. If they actually read this, they should be able to take it. But, I doubt they give a rip what I think. They shouldn't. If they're combing Cyclonefanatic and worrying about what we are saying, then that's another issue altogether.

Thanks for proving my point that you’re what you are.

i Still have not gotten your resume with your basketball talent evaluating skills on it so I can forward it to pop.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
While I think there is definitely some truth to the idea Prentiss is playing a role Steve never expected him to play, I just don't think there's any reason to take a guy to sit one, play one unless you expect them to be a fairly high level contributor. It's just a bad strategy to use that for anything but someone who can contribute at a Shayok-like level.

Playing devils advocate here only. Im extremely disappointed in Nixon. But did you expect Shayok to perform as well as he did? I don’t think the future can be predicted for a guy like Shayok and Nixon at the time you recruit them. Granted we had a first hand look at Marial in the tourney but my point remains.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Defense has definitely been an issue and I don't think Prohm's a good defensive coach, but defense isn't all about coaching. Our defensive inabilities haven't been all schematic issues. Guys are getting back doored left and right or losing a shooter because they're not paying attention to man and ball, guys are messing up ball screen defense because they're forgetting whether they're icing it, double teaming it, or hedging it. I've listened to Steve's post game press conferences where he literally goes over what they're suppose to do on defense and then the first possession of the game, we'll mess it up. That's not on Steve.

Yes it is. He either cannot effectively communicate these concepts in practice, he can't motivate them to do it, or he recruited guys that won't do it. Again, this is college basketball. The head coach gets most of the praise and all of the cash. He chooses every aspect of the roster, the scheme, how the practices are run, etc. It's all under his control.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes it is. He either cannot effectively communicate these concepts in practice, he can't motivate them to do it, or he recruited guys that won't do it. Again, this is college basketball. The head coach gets most of the praise and all of the cash. He chooses every aspect of the roster, the scheme, how the practices are run, etc. It's all under his control.

Not sure if this is a practice thing as it sounds like practices are well run but I think it's been brought up for games.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The head coach gets most of the praise and all of the cash. He chooses every aspect of the roster, the scheme, how the practices are run, etc. It's all under his control.

So those weren't Fred's players the first two years? You cannot say when it's bad.......it's all on him, but when it's good.......it's because of XYZ.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I worded this all wrong, because it's on Steve at the end of the day for recruiting guys that cannot figure out how to play this defense this year, or it's his fault for not being able to figure out something to at least make the defense capable. If it's truly on the players, then that's on Steve. In my opinion our roster make up is not made for defense whatsoever, especially with Tyrese being hurt. I realize we weren't even good with him, but he was our longest guard, could switch out on longer, athletic players on the opposing teams, played the passing lanes extremely well, and could contest shots at the rim. We literally don't have any other player like that because Lewis and Griffin can't see minutes. We're at a tremendous disadvantage at about 2 positions.

Nixon defensively has regressed a ton on the defensive side. I think a lot of that has had to do with the "offensive load" he thinks he now has to carry on the other end. He rarely closes out as the game goes on and for the last month or so has fallen into the habit of simply fouling guys when he gets beat, which happens a lot. Mike is so slow and can't cover anyone off the dribble and can't close out to shooters. I couldn't even give you a legit number of how many times he's gotten beat which has thrown the rest of the defense off.

Here's the bright spot for the defense.. Jackson and Grill. They have not been perfect, but I can see that they're actively engaged with what Prohm is preaching. They both work their butts off on that end of the floor and Grill is rewarded with playing time because of that. Next year with the guys we have coming in and Johnson being able to play, we fill the void of not being able to guard that 3-4 man. I hope Prohm imprints into their minds that if they play defense, they will see playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: pdxclone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No, much harder to make the NIT now. Texas made it last year with 16 wins, but they were #38 in Net Rankings and #25 on KenPom.

yeah with all the guaranteed spots for mid major conference champions that lose in their conference tournament, it’s not your fathers nit anymore.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So those weren't Fred's players the first two years? You cannot say when it's bad.......it's all on him, but when it's good.......it's because of XYZ.

I loved his first two years and last year. I take nothing away from him for those years. Please stop putting words in people's mouths. He owns the good and the bad.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Please stop putting words in people's mouths.

If by "people's" you mean you......alright. Maybe then instead of saying "you" cannot....I should of said "one" cannot? Regardless, didn't pull that thought out of thin air. Seen too many "Fred's recruits"...."underachieved" BS describing his 23 and 24 win seasons too last me a lifetime.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’ve really been avoiding the forums because it hasn’t been productive for me. While watching the game tonight they showed Prohm’s record and it is to a point I didn’t realize it was at. Prohm’s winning percentage is down to .576 (95-70). Looking and trusting Wikipedia this is lower than every coach but McDermott since Orr.

He still has a ways to go to get to McDermotts winning record but it’s at a level I didn’t think he was close to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve really been avoiding the forums because it hasn’t been productive for me. While watching the game tonight they showed Prohm’s record and it is to a point I didn’t realize it was at. Prohm’s winning percentage is down to .576 (95-70). Looking and trusting Wikipedia this is lower than every coach but McDermott since Orr.

He still has a ways to go to get to McDermotts winning record but it’s at a level I didn’t think he was close to.

Noticed that too. Kind of alarming, really.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If by "people's" you mean you......alright. Maybe then instead of saying "you" cannot....I should of said "one" cannot? Regardless, didn't pull that thought out of thin air. Seen too many "Fred's recruits"...."underachieved" BS describing his 23 and 24 win seasons too last me a lifetime.

You pulled it out of thin air quoting my post, which had nothing to do with it. I could quote your post and talk about harvest style cottage cheese too, but it would be completely unrelated.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
He didn't choose the roster his first two years. It was given to him. Since he lost those players, it's been downhill. That's a fact.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for proving my point that you’re what you are.

i Still have not gotten your resume with your basketball talent evaluating skills on it so I can forward it to pop.

You don't need to know a single thing about playing the piano and you would be able to tell I am quite awful at it.