Are we being to harsh

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
You are looking at it a little different that what coaches would look at this. Prohm is looking at having Lard, Solo, Haliburton, Horton-Tucker, and Jacobson in the starting lineup. Nixon can come off the bench and add some defensive minutes and fill a few rolls. However, that did not happen. Lard, THT,and Haliburton are all gone. So Nixon has to try and be the man like he had to try and be at CSU. It has not worked with him in that roll.

You don’t take a 2 for one guy unless you believe he is going to provide starter minutes. It made zero sense at the time and it’s played out horribly.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You don’t take a 2 for one guy unless you believe he is going to provide starter minutes. It made zero sense at the time and it’s played out horribly.

I actually think Prohm went after a 2 for one just from a scholly balance stand point. When CSP landed Nixon he was most certainly expecting several other key pieces to be here.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

You do if you have a great returning cast and you can't get a better freshman to come in and provide.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

In-game coaching aside, it's the singular thing that makes me believe that Prohm is incompetent. There's no justification for giving Nixon a scholarship. He was a low-efficiency guy at Colorado State and he's probably the worst player in Iowa State history factoring in usage. Hindsight is 20-20 of course, but the signs were there already looking at Kenpom/whatever you want to use that he had no business playing for a high major. Or really anywhere other than a Y rec league or some Asiatic C-league.

Combined with Prohm's penchant for striking out on high level transfers and settling on poop sandwiches in their place...apologists can shout to the heavens he's trying and he's been a victim of high-level recruiting all they want, but Nixon and the majority of his transfer fill-ins have been straight dogsh*t. You don't settle for dogsh*t if you miss on quality. Just don't fill the open spot! Hope that something materializes down the road. There's nothing wrong with an open scholarship or two, especially if the alternative is filling it with dogsh*t.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Without any Tyrese Halliburton injury the guys almost certainly beat Florida A&M. We win one of those games above and we’re sitting at 14-15 with 2 winnable games coming up this week and a winnable game in the big 12 tourney. It’s Plausible they could have made the NIT, not probable.

We would have been on the cusp of the NIT is like saying we were a play or two away from winning the National title in 2014.

I don’t think people fully grasp the non-competitive nature of things right now. Five times in the last 20 years have we had double digit losses by 10 points or more.
2002-03 (10 losses by DD) LE 16-14
2007-08 (13 losses by DD) GM 14-18
2008-09 (11 losses by DD) GM 15-17
2017-18 (11 losses by DD) SP 13-18
2019-20 (10 losses by DD) SP 12-17

In none of the years above have we ever had more than 3 losses by more than 20 points. This year there are five of those losses to date. Our average margin of defeat this year 13.4 ppg versus 12.9 in 2017-18. Kansas State is currently 9-20 overall but there average margin of defeat is 9.1 per game. Of their 20 losses only 8 are by DD and only one (at KU) was decided by 20 points or more.

We are not close....we need immediate grad transfer help at the PG position, immediate production by at least two of those freshmen and we need at least two of the current players to transfer out this spring so we can bring in more immediate help.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think Prohm went after a 2 for one just from a scholly balance stand point. When CSP landed Nixon he was most certainly expecting several other key pieces to be here.
Why not go after a JUCO then? At least you get the potential of two years of production.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You do if you have a great returning cast and you can't get a better freshman to come in and provide.

While I think there is definitely some truth to the idea Prentiss is playing a role Steve never expected him to play, I just don't think there's any reason to take a guy to sit one, play one unless you expect them to be a fairly high level contributor. It's just a bad strategy to use that for anything but someone who can contribute at a Shayok-like level.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We would have been on the cusp of the NIT is like saying we were a play or two away from winning the National title in 2014.

I don’t think people fully grasp the non-competitive nature of things right now. Five times in the last 20 years have we had double digit losses by 10 points or more.

In none of the years above have we ever had more than 3 losses by more than 20 points. This year there are five of those losses to date. Our average margin of defeat this year 13.4 ppg versus 12.9 in 2017-18. Kansas State is currently 9-20 overall but there average margin of defeat is 9.1 per game. Of their 20 losses only 8 are by DD and only one (at KU) was decided by 20 points or more.

We are not close....we need immediate grad transfer help at the PG position, immediate production by at least two of those freshmen and we need at least two of the current players to transfer out this spring so we can bring in more immediate help.
So wait, are you saying Kansas State is a better team because they lose more games by less points? What point are you trying to make there? Lol

Also, who else would you like to see transfer from this team besides Lewis and Griffin? Those are the only two guys that might transfer but according to you, we need like 3-4 to transfer from this year's team in order to be good next year.. So.. Bolton? Conditt? Solomon? One of the two freshman? Lol

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
While I think there is definitely some truth to the idea Prentiss is playing a role Steve never expected him to play, I just don't think there's any reason to take a guy to sit one, play one unless you expect them to be a fairly high level contributor. It's just a bad strategy to use that for anything but someone who can contribute at a Shayok-like level.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say Shayok is the threshold for a sit-one, play-one guy. Guys like Allen, Luscious, Clyburn were probably worth the 2 for 1.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So wait, are you saying Kansas State is a better team because they lose more games by less points? What point are you trying to make there? Lol

Also, who else would you like to see transfer from this team besides Lewis and Griffin? Those are the only two guys that might transfer but according to you, we need like 3-4 to transfer from this year's team in order to be good next year.. So.. Bolton? Conditt? Solomon? One of the two freshman? Lol

I think Kansas State is much more competitive this year then we have been and certainly after TH’s injury. Teams typically go from losing big to losing small to winning small to winning big especially when they are built with freshmen. I think KSU is much closer to step two than us. KSU is 0-6 in the Big 12 in games decided by 6 points or less. KSU has a higher rated class coming in next year then us. And as I indicated above we will need two transfers from the current roster (not sure where you got 3-4) in order to open up room for two transfers (preferably one high level grad transfer).

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Which part of we need two transfers from the current roster confuses you enough to think I said we need 3-4 transfers. Hell you even highlighted it for yourself.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Which part of we need two transfers from the current roster confuses you enough to think I said we need 3-4 transfers. Hell you even highlighted it for yourself.
You said "we need at least two of the current players to transfer out this spring so we can bring in more immediate help." So you're saying we need two or more of the guys coming back next year to transfer elsewhere. Griffin and Lewis are the only guys I see that might transfer, but you mentioned at least two, so maybe more than that. Who would the other or others that would transfer?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think Kansas State is much more competitive this year then we have been and certainly after TH’s injury. Teams typically go from losing big to losing small to winning small to winning big especially when they are built with freshmen. I think KSU is much closer to step two than us. KSU is 0-6 in the Big 12 in games decided by 6 points or less. KSU has a higher rated class coming in next year then us. And as I indicated above we will need two transfers from the current roster (not sure where you got 3-4) in order to open up room for two transfers (preferably one high level grad transfer).
I understand your logic here, but Kansas State's season has been all over the place. I know they just lost at home to KU by 4, but before that they lost by 19 to Baylor and then 11 to Texas. And sure KU is 0-6 in the Big 12 games decided by 6 points or less, but they're also 2-14 overall.. They haven't won a game in over a month (1/29), the win before that came two weeks prior (1/19), and their win before that was 12/29.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
You said "we need at least two of the current players to transfer out this spring so we can bring in more immediate help." So you're saying we need two or more of the guys coming back next year to transfer elsewhere. Griffin and Lewis are the only guys I see that might transfer, but you mentioned at least two, so maybe more than that. Who would the other or others that would transfer?

I will PM you. It’s not good form to talk about specific individuals when it comes to the idea of transferring.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I will PM you. It’s not good form to talk about specific individuals when it comes to the idea of transferring.
I understand. And I wasn't meaning to say I want either of them to transfer, rather if you look up and down the roster, I could see why they would want to. If it came out negatively, I apologize.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Other than Young, anybody on this team could transfer and a competent staff would be able to replace them with a better player. Not that they all would though. Some probably should.

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL

I agree that we're pretty far away.... and also we're talking about getting into the NIT, this program has set the standard for getting into NCAA tournaments. This year is certainly disappointing. There are different reasons and different people to blame for the lack of success but it's disappointing.

I think the thing this team is struggling the most with is elite defenses, and this conference has certainly transformed into one with a lot of elite defenses. Until we have an offense that is elite and can dissect these defenses or we got a LOT better on the defensive side, the disappointment will continue.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I don't think that Nixon is horrible, he's just being asked to do too much at this level. If somehow, we had LW and THT on this team, Nixon would be a backup guard and defender. I think that he would do just fine in that role. Or even if Lewis would have upped his game, we would have a lineup of TH, Bolton, Lewis, THT, Solo...that's a bubble team at worst.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Other than Young, anybody on this team could transfer and a competent staff would be able to replace them with a better player. Not that they all would though. Some probably should.

Wow. Just. Wow.

i mean I get that you guys are what you are. But what a terrible thing to say about the players on this team.

you should feel bad, but you’re not capable.