Another Malaysia airlines crash?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Just watching NBC - the reports are coming from Interior Ministry of Ukraine. So it could just be a smear campaign against Russia. No real word on WHO may have fired said missile. Looking at the flight track they show on screen - it appears to have been a ways away from the Russia border.

There is a video of smoke rising in the distance.

Who knows.

The Russians allegedly shot down a Ukrainian fighter over Ukrainian air space, I don't think they really care too much about sovereign air space.

The guys the Ukrainians are fighting don't have lots of air power that I can see.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Conspiracy Theorists - Let's here them.

Russia shot down MH370 and sent it into the sea when they wanted it on land. Had to try it again to get a war started?

Here's a good start:

I'm reading the Reddit thread now and they're assuming the same thing that Americans were probably on board as well as other NATO citizens. I think the world has stayed back because until now, it's just affected Ukraine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2ayjwz/malaysian_plane_crashes_over_the_ukraine/

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm not saying it was intentional, but if you are say, China, and 50 of your people were shot down due to Russia's little game of Risk, you aren't going to be amused.

Commercial aircraft have been shot down before. Nothing has ever come of it.

Now it may force the Russians to completely back away and let the Ukrainians take
back what is rightfully theirs. With regards to that the Russians may have screwed the pooch.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not normally much of a sensationalist when it comes to the news, but this feels like it could be kickstarter to something big.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Commercial aircraft have been shot down before. Nothing has ever come of it.

Ok, but if a world power shoots down a commercial aircraft while said aircraft was in another country's airspace...

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Donestsk, Ukraine. Very eastern...

Love this report: If it were shot down, it had to be a "military style" device.

As opposed to roman candles?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Just watching NBC - the reports are coming from Interior Ministry of Ukraine. So it could just be a smear campaign against Russia. No real word on WHO may have fired said missile. Looking at the flight track they show on screen - it appears to have been a ways away from the Russia border.

There is a video of smoke rising in the distance.

Who knows.

Isn't it only like 20 miles from the border? That's a pretty trivial distance if somebody shot a missile at it.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
for serious? Do they know the primary nationality of those on board? Cause that seems like a great way to start a war.

They're saying since it was Amsterdam to kuala Lampur - and that Kuala Lampur is a major transit point for SE Asia, it's likely a widespread number of nationalities.

295 - all expected lost.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok, but if a world power shoots down a commercial aircraft while said aircraft was in another countries airspace...

Nothing will come of this, other world powers are not going to declare war on Russia over the loss of 265 lives as tragic as that is. And given how close to the border it was, who's to say where it originally was.

If it was over Kiev that is one thing, but within 50 miles of a border where there is a conflict going on that is another.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Isn't it only like 20 miles from the border? That's a pretty trivial distance if somebody shot a missile at it.

That was the flight tracker. It was just inside the western border by poland and Belarus.

now they say Donetsk which is extremely eastern and very near the russian border.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It is just speculation that it was shot down. If it was I think this just allows Russia to enter into Ukraine for "humanitarian purposes". I would be and wouldn't be surprised if it was shot down.

You do realize it's the Russian's and separatists doing the shooting right. Mostly helicopters and transports have been shot down. Sunday a AN-26 (cargo plane) was shot down in Ukrainian airspace reportedly by a Russian SA-11 battery from within Russia. It was flying at around 20000 feet above the range of the manpads the separatists have. It's a dangerous area and although it's possible the Ukrainian defenses mistakenly shot this down, it is far more likely the Russians or their proxies did this if it was shot down.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Ok, but if a world power shoots down a commercial aircraft while said aircraft was in another country's airspace...

The Russians shot down a Korean flight that was carrying a US Congressman during the Cold War when the two world powers had tens of thousands of nukes pointed at each other.

People need to CTFO, this isn't World War 3.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
If I had to guess, separatists would seem most likely (if it was indeed shot down). That does raise the stakes a bit in the area, but doesn't mean war with the West.

If they have the capability to shoot aircraft at 33000 feet the Russians just gave it to them.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Nothing will come of this, other world powers are not going to declare war on Russia over the loss of 265 lives as tragic as that is. And given how close to the border it was, who's to say where it originally was.

If it was over Kiev that is one thing, but within 50 miles of a border where there is a conflict going on that is another.

I'm not saying World War III, but I imagine at a minimum we will have boots on the grounds before too long to "keep the peace."

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
If they have the capability to shoot aircraft at 33000 feet the Russians just gave it to them.

Given that Ukraine used to be part of the Soviet Union, both sides have these weapon systems.

You're likely right. But it's hard to say where the system really came from. But it looks like it was approaching the Russian border, so it may well have been the Russians themselves and not even separtists (speculation)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron