Ames Lager

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
The Fareway near 63rd and Grand in WDM had a few sixers of Ames Lager and some of the Jack Trice beer last night. It is in the back near the meat counter. Hopefully there is some left.
Thank you, went earlier today and they had one left. First one I have been able to find.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Last Friday when everyone else was sold out, I found some at the Fareway in Huxley. Just a suggestion if anyone is heading to Ames tonight.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In fact, if West O had invested a bunch to meet demand, with a release timed for the start of tailgating season, I think they would be in a world of hurt in 6-9 months. I can’t imagine demand will ever be higher than it is right now.

I think they might get a surprising boost around thanksgiving and Christmas, I know I'm going to try to to find some when I come home for holidays or more likely my family might already have some waiting for me. Nothing like the season kickoff, but that's probably the second biggest time to sell it.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Toppling Goliath kicks out around 50,000 barrels a year and has distro to at least 30 states now. I don’t think they will ever match that because these collective beers will only do well locally.

If somebody is so massive outside of the state...wouldn't owning the NIL game make them even bigger in Iowa and alienate almost zero people in those other 29 states?

I'm struggling to see the angle where an Iowa brewery turning down this is a great move if their goal is just to sell a certain amount in Iowa. I'm also surprised there wasn't one or multiple that jumped at the idea of doing both because that's a great way to not alienate anybody even within Iowa.

If Exile, West O or Toppling Goliath (or anybody) had come out and done both nobody would've been rage filled in either fan base at all.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
If somebody is so massive outside of the state...wouldn't owning the NIL game make them even bigger in Iowa and alienate almost zero people in those other 29 states?

I'm struggling to see the angle where an Iowa brewery turning down this is a great move if their goal is just to sell a certain amount in Iowa. I'm also surprised there wasn't one or multiple that jumped at the idea of doing both because that's a great way to not alienate anybody even within Iowa.

If Exile, West O or Toppling Goliath (or anybody) had come out and done both nobody would've been rage filled in either fan base at all.
I have no idea if TG was asked if they had any interest or not but with the new DM taproom in the works and all their big releases they do it may have been too much to take on right now. No clue if the owner is a fan of either university either.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have no idea if TG was asked if they had any interest or not but with the new DM taproom in the works and all their big releases they do it may have been too much to take on right now. No clue if the owner is a fan of either university either.

What's the downside of them saying, "hey we're going to do both"?

I don't see it. It's obvious these have the most demand among Iowans.

Did We Will and Swarm make an exclusive contract?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

I’m not so sure about that, not everyone who drinks beer likes lagers or cares enough about sports to seek them out.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
In fact, if West O had invested a bunch to meet demand, with a release timed for the start of tailgating season, I think they would be in a world of hurt in 6-9 months. I can’t imagine demand will ever be higher than it is right now.

Aaand I just picked up a 6 pack at Duff Walmart in Ames. The bubble has burst

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think they're more Hawk fans, but not hardcore by any stretch. I could see them doing beers for both Iowa and ISU, and UNI too.

Folks up in that corner in the state aren't as locked into the rivalry as they are in Central Iowa. It's a nice part about living up here. Yeah, there's a lot of Hawk fans, but I almost NEVER get any **** from them.

CaposCy

Feb 8, 2017
Hopefully Brent will give an update on the amount they have raised from West-O. We will need another kicker next year in the portal possibly.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

It's gotta be just the athletic side of things with the NIL deal, right? We've got Peace Tree doing Legend, which supports the Jack Trice Foundation, and Backpocket doing a beer for both Iowa State (officially licensed by the University) and Iowa (sold in Kinnick and supporting "No Foot Too Small")...certainly Peace Tree and Backpocket aren't concerned about alienating fans in Iowa.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

It may be printing money, but it has to be consuming as a business. These definitely aren't side projects.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone and HFCS

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
just bought some at Johncy’s in North Liberty. Lots of other West O there too.