Ames Lager

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Bought a six at Hy-Vee gas in Ames at 6 am. What were the odds of finding this? They only had three sixes left and the gal behind the counter bought one for her husband.

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Bought some at Johnston Hy-Vee about 30 minutes ago. Pure luck. Employee said the distributor had just brought some in and there was only one flat left. A handful of giddy Cyclones in that liquor department. Cheers!

Reactions: isutrevman

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Swarm kinda sucks. It's just a too-sweet bland ale to me.

It's not like Ames Lager is some flavor revolution, but it's a much better beer.
I thought Ames Lager was more balanced similar to a Pilsner and not too-sweet like you said. I really prefer hoppy lagers like Fresh Start from Confluence.

• Agree
Reactions: cydsho

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If somebody is so massive outside of the state...wouldn't owning the NIL game make them even bigger in Iowa and alienate almost zero people in those other 29 states?

I'm struggling to see the angle where an Iowa brewery turning down this is a great move if their goal is just to sell a certain amount in Iowa. I'm also surprised there wasn't one or multiple that jumped at the idea of doing both because that's a great way to not alienate anybody even within Iowa.

If Exile, West O or Toppling Goliath (or anybody) had come out and done both nobody would've been rage filled in either fan base at all.
The genius move would have been one of the breweries making an NIL for both fan bases and turning it into a contest to see who will support their team the most.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Just ordered 5 packs of the cold brew. As a cyclone out of state with a terrible coffee addiction I love that I can get this online

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Same beer + different labels = Money machine go brrrrrrrrr!!!!
I say once West O gets a steady supply of Ames Lager in stores they do exactly and make an Iowa Lager. Just put something on the can about proceeds helping support local student-athletes and non-profits, but don't say that both are actually going to We Will. If Iowa fans see something black and yellow with the word Iowa on it they will buy it without a second thought, most people don't even know what collectives are anyway.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I say once West O gets a steady supply of Ames Lager in stores they do exactly and make an Iowa Lager. Just put something on the can about proceeds helping support local student-athletes and non-profits, but don't say that both are actually going to We Will. If Iowa fans see something black and yellow with the word Iowa on it they will buy it without a second thought, most people don't even know what collectives are anyway.
Just have the words Iowa Beer on it like a generic beer in a black can. Those Hawkeyes would drink it up thinking it was hawkeye beer.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
A source tells me the downtown Ames Fareway just a shipment of Ames Lager. Nothing I can find in Western suburbs
I just relieved them of $105.04 worth, thanks for the tip! Still 7 or 8 cases left but two people commented with surprise when they saw me carry it out. I'm sure they were buying too.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think that's right but I would guess it's 4-6 weeks before we see more in stores.

A while back I think someone said commercial lager production takes 6-8 weeks.
On Aug 11 WestO installed 3000 gallons of additional capacity. Assuming those have been brewing for a couple weeks, we're still a couple months from the product being done and in stores.

Production takes 3.5 weeks. I had a tour of West O today.