Akinshilo Commits

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Is this a depth piece? Kinda worried if he is needed to start on 6/12
First - I know nothing.
My opinion - I think this is a great addition. I really doubt he plays this year. Getting a guy after only one year in a JUCO is great. You could redshirt and still have a 3 year player. He apparently got little interest in high school. I think this is a developmental player with very high potential. He might play, but barring unforeseen situations, I think he will benefit greatly from a year in the program to develop and prepare. I expect him to become a multi year starter.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is one of those guys that can tell just how good or bad the tackle position at ISU is. If he comes in and starts, the Clones are in big trouble. If he plays some against KU or one of the other bad teams then he was a good addition. If he never sniffs the field this year, than the OL is in decent shape and he adds some depth.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Is this a depth piece? Kinda worried if he is needed to start on 6/12
I think our five starters are pretty set. It’s the backup spots that are up in the air—both in terms of “who” and “how well they play” this season.

In a perfect world, Funto plays the four games and still redshirts. Then in ‘23 Darrell Simmons slides inside to center (like Downing did), and he starts at RG.

Actually, in a “perfect world”, with a senior and four juniors starting, all five make some type of all conference—and two or three head off to the NFL.

Hey, it’s conceivable!

From what I’d seen, we’re talking in the KO mold here. Only at guard—where Ben Bruns always said Osemele should be playing.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Funto plays the four games and still redshirts.
Hey, beat me to it. I was going to recommend Funto also.
It autocorrects to Fun To.
Anyway, by my unofficial count I have us at 80 scholarships now.
81 if Glantz is on one, which is unclear, not sure why that can't be public knowledge.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Definitely indicates the coaching staff is somewhat concerned about the depth on the OL.
Or, they ended up with an open scholarship due to an unexpected transfer, looked around for best available player with potential. This time of year, seems like thos are going to be JC since they're not recruited as heavily these days. And it's hard to have too many OL, there's time for him to develop, doubt they'd have taken him if he's not a culture fit.

Doesn't seem like a move out of concern, if there was an OL concern, it surely would be at tackle.

I'll be watching for the phonetic aid in the roster before trying to pronounce his name, but welcome!

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Or, they ended up with an open scholarship due to an unexpected transfer, looked around for best available player with potential. This time of year, seems like thos are going to be JC since they're not recruited as heavily these days. And it's hard to have too many OL, there's time for him to develop, doubt they'd have taken him if he's not a culture fit.

Doesn't seem like a move out of concern, if there was an OL concern, if there was it surely would be at tackle.

I'll be watching for the phonic aid in the roster before trying to pronounce his name, but welcome!

I agree. They had some unexpected attrition and open scholarships. They already added bodies at Safety to cover that loss, so they found the best available player with some upside. Although this kid has a similar build to KO, just from watching his video, he does not move as fluidly. That tells me he's a future OG. Not saying he can't play RT, since he's extremely raw and doesn't have a bunch of technique coaching under his belt, but in all likelihood, he's an interior OL.

Just looking at what the depth chart looks like, Downing is our best OL at C. Simmons has started two years now at RG. Hufford started some at LT, but is a natural LG and Downing moving opened up that spot. I don't think that this signing is scrambling to find a starter by any means. If it were that, they would have found someone who was a sure Tackle. I feel like with 4 to play 3, they can afford to take their time with him. It would not surprise me at all if he were starting in 2023 after Downing leaves and Simmons moves to Center. Now, if "Funto" is good enough to start this year and beat someone out, all the better. I just don't see it happening.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think signing guys in May/June is part of the new transfer portal reality. We saw guys leave after spring practice.

I would be surprised if Akinahilo cracks the 2 deeps this season. But he has 4 years at ISU, so I don't see this move as concerning. Just having 85 scholarship guys practicing this fall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron