Aiken

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
This is going to sound really negative, but why the hell would any transfer come here right now? You only have a precious year or two of college basketball left - what about Iowa State's program right now would make you feel like it's the place to spend that last year or two?

The program is in a damaged state right now.
Why would that sound negative? In the last 3 years we’ve finished last, went 9-9 with a roster that potentially has 4 NBA guys and finished 9th last year. I think it’s just brutal honesty. Iowa State is not an attractive program right now.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
I trust CW and his reporting. Wasn’t 100, but a feel. I think we as fans just want to see progress and hope for the future and when we miss consistently in trying to improve our roster we see the ship sinking. If next year goes poorly, even thou SP is a nice guy and someone that people respect, I don’t see how the fans will continue to support him. His program has not been stable since his 2nd year

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Still holding out hope that CW's next crystal ball post will be titled "Carton Commits to Cyclones" and not just 'carton'.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
AngryGoldenIsabellinewheatear-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Scott34

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Getting a 1-2 year grad transfer player to come to ISU vs getting a coach to come to ISU are two completely different things. Not even remotely similar.
All about perspective. To me, it's the same thing. You are coming here to put work in. Is it different in longevity? Absolutely, but the goal is the same thing. Problem is, most want to do what is easy. Coming to a program and helping change a culture isn't easy.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
1 of the 4 players from the 2019 recruiting class is still on the roster
1 of the 4 players from the 2018 recruiting class is still on the roster

The long-play mode isn't working.

Nothing is working it seems, so we're back to coaching our guys up, being patient and then taking our turn at the top of the conference (hopefully).

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I mean, how gutted could we possibly get?
Right. Oh no the program is gutted for the new coach. Rather have a new coach rebuild a gutted program than the person who gutted it. End result might be the same, but we have already seen what prohm can do.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Right. Oh no the program is gutted for the new coach. Rather have a new coach rebuild a gutted program than the person who gutted it. End result might be the same, but we have already seen what prohm can do.

I guess I just don't buy the premises we keep him around for fear of losing three guys who haven't actually played a minute in an Iowa State uniform.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
We've committed to another year of horrific basketball with no hope when we retained Prohm.

It will be a lame duck year, he'll hopefully be relieved of his duties, and we'll move on.
Better hope football is good to go or prohm will be here awhile

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
After tomorrow we won't care about Aiken. Once a recruit goes elsewhere ISU fans don't pay attention to them at all. Name a transfer we really wanted last year and without looking tell me if they did well or not.
Oh I agree. Most of the time, they're very overrated because it's a short term recruiting period.

Only one I remember from last spring, just because I really wanted him to come here, was Admon Gilder. And he had a decent year for a really good Gonzaga team. 11 pts 3 rebs and 45 total 3s. He would have been Iowa St's leading scorer, had he came.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't know why fans continue to think we can land a stud grad transfer that will have a huge impact. There are like 2-3 of those available each year, if that. How many have we actually gotten that had the type of impact fans are hoping for? I'm talking about the level of player that would give us a chance to make the NCAA tournament, since that is what fans want. I could argue that DeAndre Kane it the only one. Never mind fact that there are like 60 schools all trying to get the top 4-5 transfers. Most grad transfers are role players. It is extremely rare for them to be more than that. I struggle to even come up with a list of grad transfers that turned into big impact players anywhere. Makai Mason? I remember really hoping we'd get Chris Clarke last year who ended up at Texas Tech. He averaged a whopping 5.6ppg and 6.6rpg. He was rated as the 3rd best grad transfer last year.

I think schools are now waaaay overvaluing grad transfers. They used to undervalue them, and transfers in general, but I believe its gone too far the other way now. It feels like our fan base has developed this notion that there are a dozen mythological grad transfers just sitting out there that can take us to the next level. They don't exist.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We have a good recent track record of getting people to the NBA.
2019 - THT and Shayok drafted
2017 - Morris
2016 - Niang and Nader

Couple that with the fact that we have 8 players currently in the NBA, and it's fairly attractive.

Compare that to the Seton Hall who has 0 players currently in the NBA.

If you want to get to the NBA, ISU is probably a better place than SH.

No. In fact it’s entirely possible Steve started the corona virus.

you know he was in on 9/11

Jesus this fanbase.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
1 of the 4 players from the 2019 recruiting class is still on the roster
1 of the 4 players from the 2018 recruiting class is still on the roster

The long-play mode isn't working.

And obviously logic and context aren’t working for you either.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is going to sound really negative, but why the hell would any transfer come here right now? You only have a precious year or two of college basketball left - what about Iowa State's program right now would make you feel like it's the place to spend that last year or two?

The program is in a damaged state right now.

The Cyclone basketball program is down right now. But the nice thing about college basketball is a couple players can make a big difference.

IMO our fanbase is in a damaged state right now! Seems to me we have become the whiny fan base that we typically criticized Hawk & Husker fans of being. A little success hasn't been pretty.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The Cyclone basketball program is down right now. But the nice thing about college basketball is a couple players can make a big difference.

IMO our fanbase is in a damaged state right now! Seems to me we have become the whiny fan base that we typically criticized Hawk & Husker fans of being. A little success hasn't been pretty.

it’s really bad.