8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Due to Trump running nearly an hour late he cancelled all local interviews so he can get back on schedule for his campaign event in Yuma.

roughly 45 minute scripted round table with no democrats (Abby was excluded even though it is her district but Ashley her competitor in November was there). Heading back to the plane now.

I did go out to show my son the plane.

What a piece of ****. Abby seems like the one politician actually drawing attention to this. Suppose at least this way you don't get paper towels tossed at you.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Just got internet back - located in Marion! We were fortunate to get power back on Thursday. Still have a lot of friends without power in this area.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Still no power at my place in NE side. Some house on the street got it today. The company working my street was at my place at 730pm and said they would be back first thing in the AM and should be good to go at some point tomorrow. The guy I spoke with is from LA, Cal. We has in NY last week and Daytona last week and arrived in CR Monday night with his company. Staying in Dubuque, but probably moving to the Prairie HS gym to get more sleep and not be in the road so early for 6-7am start. He hasn't seen his wife and kids in LA since July 4. Wow.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
So the NWS says that the 1993 floods caused $15 billion in damages, and was the cause of 50 deaths. Assuming the $15 billion is 1993 dollars, in today's dollars that would be $26.8 billion.

yeah I looked at it from a standpoint of our states historical disasters (which was from the post I quoted). The floods of 93 affected all of the states bordering the Mississippi and Missouri rivers... not just Iowa. That 15 billion number was for all of the states affected: Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota

• Informative
Reactions: SaraV

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
"Happy" anniversary?
Purposely drove by a house in our old neighborhood that had pretty much been untouched since the storm. A large tree fell on it going through the roof and main floor. Word was they were fighting with insurance over the possibility of it being fixed. The tree was removed and tarps went on it but nothing else happened. Somewhat recently they put a new roof on and mowed the yard but nothing else it seems.

Other than that recovery is fairly well done in most places. In the next day or so the contractor hired to clean up Legion Park in Marion is finishing removing damaged trees, a lot of replanting has happened in most places. The new views and scenery is becoming more normal by the day.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Didn't even know this thread existed. I'm on the far SE side of Cedar Rapids, so I didn't get internet back for over a month. Electrical took about a week.

New roof, new siding, new HVAC and cleaned 9 trees from the property including a 100+ year old red oak tree. Haven't finished the deck replacement, that was a fight with insurance. Two neighbors have court dates this year with State Farm. Both of them had SF adjusters on site and the claims adjuster still rejected the claims and wanted to reimburse a fraction of what was damaged.

All the new growth is making things look better than last summer, but the lack of shade around the city is still depressing to see. I still get anxious when strong winds come through

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Our siding was finally replaced over last Thanksgiving 2021. Part of it was our fault due to color availability. We definitely appreciated the contractor finishing Thanksgiving morning.

Reactions: wxman1

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I started reading this thread without realizing it was from 2020, like oh boy, is this another Derecho? Looked at radar then realized it was the anniversary...Thanks CF