8/10 weather

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
tree service companies seem to be sketchy... why $8500 for a tree laying across the street? Their answer probably is: there is so much demand. :rolleyes:

reality is they can charge it knowing insurance will cover their cost.

• Agree
Reactions: irish and Angie

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
tree service companies seem to be sketchy... why $8500 for a tree laying across the street? Their answer probably is: there is so much demand. :rolleyes:

reality is they can charge it knowing insurance will cover their cost.
...and most have taken a huge hit this year and are trying to get it all back.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Still no power. Was told it may be the weekend or next week. The wife decided to go to her parents for the weekend in Cedar Falls since I have races all weekend and will be taking the generator lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Day 4 starts in North Ames with no power. 8000 watt generator is powering our house and neighbors house. Total of 4 fridges and two deep freezers along with phones and fans. Just fired it back up after a 3 hour break. Tree companies are making bank on this! $3000 for a neighbor to get the rest of their ash tree removed and $8500 for across the street to remove a huge ash tree off their crushed car and house. This included a huge crane. Someone told me two block over someone was quoted $20,000 to get a huge tree off their house. We have a couple “widow makers” that are going to cost me around $700 to get removed.

Damn, that's some serious price gouging.

Reactions: cstrunk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So get this.. My wife's work lost power around 1 pm on Monday. Her employer told them that they were going to have to make up those few hours they missed. That was before people walked outside, saw the destruction, and realized the entire city was out of power.

Their building just got power this morning. Employer sent out a message to everyone saying they were required to come back in but they were also required to work their full hours for the week and any missed time would be charged to PTO. That's 2.5 days of work their entire building missed due to the whole city not having power because we got hit by a Midwestern style hurricane. WTF?

She usually has the ability to get work done outside the office remotely, but even that's impossible because we still don't have power.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
So get this.. My wife's work lost power around 1 pm on Monday. Her employer told them that they were going to have to make up those few hours they missed. That was before people walked outside, saw the destruction, and realized the entire city was out of power.

Their building just got power this morning. Employer sent out a message to everyone saying they were required to come back in but they were also required to work their full hours for the week and any missed time would be charged to PTO. That's 2.5 days of work their entire building missed due to the whole city not having power because we got hit by a Midwestern style hurricane. WTF?

She usually has the ability to get work done outside the office remotely, but even that's impossible because we still don't have power.
What town/city?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I'd fight that saying it's on the employer for not having a backup generator so the employees could work.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

That's why companies shifted to PTO, isn't it? It's not just flexibility for employees, but a flexible way for them to manage things and effectively reduce time off.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc and cowgirl836

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's why companies shifted to PTO, isn't it? It's not just flexibility for employees, but a flexible way for them to manage things and effectively reduce time off.
True, but 2.5 days of PTO due to the entire town losing power is a bit egregious imo, especially considering their building was knocked out. They literally didn't have the ability to get ANY work done.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Day 4 starts in North Ames with no power. 8000 watt generator is powering our house and neighbors house. Total of 4 fridges and two deep freezers along with phones and fans. Just fired it back up after a 3 hour break. Tree companies are making bank on this! $3000 for a neighbor to get the rest of their ash tree removed and $8500 for across the street to remove a huge ash tree off their crushed car and house. This included a huge crane. Someone told me two block over someone was quoted $20,000 to get a huge tree off their house. We have a couple “widow makers” that are going to cost me around $700 to get removed.

How much gas do you go through in a day? I have a 8500 or 9500 watt generator and never ran it more than an hour here or there to plug in the combine or tractors for a bit at farms with no power. Have brought it home during winter but never knew how much it would burn in a day.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm so glad I'm self-employed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Kinda similar to snow storms. Most places I know require people to use PTO with them. Since they aren't able to make money, they kinda share the misery in that respect. Not a fun idea, but seems to be a common thing.