8/10 weather

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
We’ve been told we may not get power back in Granger for several days. I’m also not getting any cell service whatsoever. ****

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I’m 33 years old and have never seen straight line wind damage this severe and wide spread before. So many trees and power lines/poles down all over central Iowa and East to the Mississippi. One heck of a derecho. 2020 has just sucked so much thus far.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Absolutely amazing out there right now. We, unbelievably, did not lose power today for one second. Apparently, that is not normal around my parts. Friend of mine asked if I could check the gas station up the road for ice. There isn’t any anywhere else apparently. So...I go up there. It was like the end of days. This gas station rarely has more than 2-3 patrons on there at any one time. There are cars out to the highway in line for gas (presumably for generators). I made it inside, and there was a line of about 10 in front of me. Each one had at least one bag of ice. I was able to get one large and one small for my friend. I could have gotten more, but would have felt like a complete *******, so opted for the moderate approach.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
For those who haven’t heard of this type of storm before, it hit the BWCA back in 1999. I had some friends out on the water during that time. They have wild stories of trying to figure out where to shelter.
It was one of the few times the USFS allowed chainsaws to get people out. To this day, the central to east BWCA looks very different from the west. The trees are noticeably shorter.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Just got power back after 8 plus hours.

It didn't storm here, wind blew for about 5 minutes, kicker being the power went about 10 minutes before the wind,

Conspiracy!!

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
my aunt and uncle lost every tree on there property today 112mph winds in Midway just north of Cedar Rapids apparently. luckily for them no damage to the house from it.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
my aunt and uncle lost every tree on there property today 112mph winds in Midway just north of Cedar Rapids apparently. luckily for them no damage to the house from it.

That is crazy, and something I need to have explained. As I mentioned, we were very lucky today. Nothing more than a couple small limbs here and there. What I don’t understand is some of the pictures I’ve see and stories from friends (as well as what this post describes, which I believe 100%). How can a 300 year old oak snap a foot above the base and the house 20 feet from it not lose a shingle? Doesn’t make sense physically.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
That is crazy, and something I need to have explained. As I mentioned, we were very lucky today. Nothing more than a couple small limbs here and there. What I don’t understand is some of the pictures I’ve see and stories from friends (as well as what this post describes, which I believe 100%). How can a 300 year old oak snap a foot above the base and the house 20 feet from it not lose a shingle? Doesn’t make sense physically.
probably 60ft tall pines on the west side of the house even, haven't seen any photos or anything yet from them.
Some of those pictures and weather data look horrendous. I hope everyone is ok.

In lighter news, my sister sold a large kids playset yesterday on Facebook/Craigslist/whatever. Had to have weighed a couple thousand pounds. They hauled it home and reassembled. DM metro area.

Buyer sent pics to my sister today with it laying on its' side and splintered and jokingly asked what my sister's return policy was.
same aunt and uncle lost their almost new travel trailer to a twister a few years ago a few days before Christmas asked Kettelsons RV who they are good friends with that family if it was covered under warranty. :jimlad:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My sister in Cedar Rapids is supposed to close on their new house and sell theirs on Friday. They finally got home today and had enough tree on their roof that it cracked the foundation. They had limbs sticking through the kids bedroom ceilings with water dripping down. Not good at all.

Left work early to spend the day cleaning up for the neighbors as our neighborhood in Ankeny is a **** show. Had a chainsaw so I cut down a neighbors 30 footer, tarped their roof for them and helped another neighbor get a 40-50 foot tree of their roof. Luckily our house was good other than some flashing coming off. All while switching the generator from neighbor to neighbor trying to keep the fridges cold.

What a ******* day.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Every block in Newton looks like a bomb went off. Most still without power tonight.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s literally like we were hit with a hurricane.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Midway is about 3 miles west of my office. 112 mph winds makes sense

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Hearing 2-3 days for power in Bondurant and 3-4 for Roland. Ours came back on like an hour ago right as we were leaving our house for my parents. A neighbor that knows someone at mid American said all their extra trucks are on the east coast because of the hurricane.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m 33 years old and have never seen straight line wind damage this severe and wide spread before. So many trees and power lines/poles down all over central Iowa and East to the Mississippi. One heck of a derecho. 2020 has just sucked so much thus far.

These type of winds came through the Marshalltown area 7 or 8 years ago. Right at the same 100 mph mark that just came though. I’m sure there’s a lot of repeat damage with this storm as they had 99 at the airport and 106 in legrand.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Midway is about 3 miles west of my office. 112 mph winds makes sense
we were down there a few weeks ago when the last good storm came through the area with 65-70mph winds was blowing us all over 380 on the way back to their house to pick my trailer back up after running some errands in CR. the fields in and around Alburnett were all most flat with quite a few decent sized limbs down all over, can only imagine now around there..

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Every block in Newton looks like a bomb went off. Most still without power tonight.
I live on 5Th ave West. My tree fell on all three of my cars (all totaled) and destroyed my roof. Electric hookup ripped off my house, and I won’t have power for two weeks. I also am the general manager of the peanut pub. Which is now condemned after today. So it’s been a pretty solid Monday.
C1C0E869-DC11-48EB-BCD1-4BA09CC7CA1E.jpeg

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
My parents are in CR and lost chimney off the house and a huge oak out front is now a stump. Pretty unreal.
Is it a white or black brick chimney? Asking to determine if you care.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I live on 5Th ave West. My tree fell on all three of my cars (all totaled) and destroyed my roof. Electric hookup ripped off my house, and I won’t have power for two weeks. I also am the general manager of the peanut pub. Which is now condemned after today. So it’s been a pretty solid Monday.
View attachment 74201
That sucks. My family stands ready to help you an your family. I will need you to wear an Isu tee. Jk

Lmk your immediate needs and we will step in. We will also put together folks to help at bigger level.