6-3 Weather Thread-Long track tornadoes?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
If the weather is freaking you out, why would you drive south right into the teeth of it?

I'm not typically freaked out by weather (I've never been scared by severe weather). I'm only worried because the dogs are outside with no one home to get them into the basement if necessary. And I specifically said it's probably too dangerous for me to get down there.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
BpOvO_KIMAEih0s.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYSYAHDKtvM

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Ahhhhh I thought he meant the dogs were with him at his parents house. Read it wrong.

Yeah, I'm in Des Moines, and my parents' house is in Corydon (about 70 miles south). They're in Cancun all week.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Looks like some decent rain over the northwest quadrant of the state. That's what the metro will deal with. Doubt the main storms get any closer to DSM than Winterset or Indianola.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, I'm in Des Moines, and my parents' house is in Corydon (about 70 miles south). They're in Cancun all week.

Corydon is right in the firing line for the path the series of storms is taking. Do they have anywhere in the backyard to seek shelter? Do you have neighbors you can call?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Corydon is right in the firing line for the path the series of storms is taking. Do they have anywhere in the backyard to seek shelter? Do you have neighbors you can call?

They're able to get under the back porch, which is where they usually go during a storm. They also have a couple dog houses. So they should be okay as long as there isn't a touchdown. I just can't help but worry. Honestly, I think my biggest worry is if the storm were to somehow knock down the fence and they get loose.

As for neighbors, I've not been able to get ahold of anyone yet.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's not even that bad here in SE Iowa yet. Although my neighbor is out bailing hay still at this very minute. We've had several lighting strikes around and even a brief power flicker but he's still going. :eek:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's not even that bad here in SE Iowa yet. Although my neighbor is out bailing hay still at this very minute. We've had several lighting strikes around and even a brief power flicker but he's still going. :eek:

ha, we've done that a time or seventy. Electrocution sucks, but wet hay is pretty bad too.

Last edited:

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
They're able to get under the back porch, which is where they usually go during a storm. They also have a couple dog houses. So they should be okay as long as there isn't a touchdown. I just can't help but worry. Honestly, I think my biggest worry is if the storm were to somehow knock down the fence and they get loose.

As for neighbors, I've not been able to get ahold of anyone yet.

I would be terrified. We purposely keep our dogs in the basement while we're gone during tornado season.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I would be terrified. We purposely keep our dogs in the basement while we're gone during tornado season.

To be honest, my parents may have done that, as well. The house is almost never totally empty for 10 days straight like this, so we don't really have an SOP. But since they're out of the country, I have no good way to get ahold of them to know one way or the other.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
To be honest, my parents may have done that, as well. The house is almost never totally empty for 10 days straight like this, so we don't really have an SOP. But since they're out of the country, I have no good way to get ahold of them to know one way or the other.

No email?