Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
What a great time to be a cyclone. Texas is busy fighting over if they should fire their coach. We're fighting whether or not our current QB is the best we've ever had. Given authors on this site are also comparing our current RB to the best we've ever had. I'd say we have one heck of a team!

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Do you really want me to go back through all the game threads on this site where everyone is screaming about how Purdy can't hit the broad side of a barn.... and how he's just not himself this year, etc, etc, etc. There's TONS of them.

But yeah.... funny how everyone forgets all that now that we're headed for the Big 12 championship game.

I've said I love Brock Purdy and I'm so glad we have him as our QB..... I just don't believe at this moment that he's the best ISU player ever. Sorry if that offends people..... geez.

It would be like me saying that all of you people that think Purdy is the best ever must hate Seneca Wallace and didn't think he was any good. I don't believe you think that at all.... I'm sure you loved Seneca too.

He has a 66% career completion rate. Very accurate. Probably his best attribute as a QB.

Reactions: CyTwins

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Objectively, yes, this is the best era.

Earle Bruce was 26-27 at this point in his Iowa State career with no bowl games, and 5-14 vs Top 25 teams.

Matt Campbell is 33-27 with three bowl games, and 8-12 vs Top 25 teams.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this because what is happening now is so fun...but...Earle Bruce coached in an era when Nebraska and Oklahoma were NEVER down, ever. One year Oklahoma, Nebraska and Colorado were 1, 2, 3 in the nation at one point. 8-3 3 years in a row and only got 2 bowl game invites because you didn't get invites for being mediocre (or worse).

I will say CW thinking the "modern era" of ISU football started with Mac is so cute.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Seneca had more interceptions than touchdown passes at Iowa State.

He only completed 55% of his passes as a senior and had 18 INTs to 15 TDs

This isn't recentism. Brock is like way better than Seneca was and it's really not even close

never understand these arguments, why trash one of our all time great guys and great players? Seneca was an amazing player and played in the NFL for years. It’s just opinion who is better, unquestionably though Seneca did not have the same tools around him

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this because what is happening now is so fun...but...Earle Bruce coached in an era when Nebraska and Oklahoma were NEVER down, ever. One year Oklahoma, Nebraska and Colorado were 1, 2, 3 in the nation at one point. 8-3 3 years in a row and only got 2 bowl game invites because you didn't get invites for being mediocre (or worse).

I will say CW thinking the "modern era" of ISU football started with Mac is so cute.
You thinking 60 years ago is modern is cute.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Seneca didn't have David Montgomery, Hakeem Butler..... or Breece Hall. Seneca was forced to win games all by himself for the most part, so he had to force things in the passing game a lot more.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020

I wouldn't count the teams in the '70s as "modern era", IMO that starts when the BCS was formed.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
You thinking 60 years ago is modern is cute.

Thinking a modern era started with the start of you following the team is silly and that's what he's doing. It's weak.

The modern era of baseball is considered to have started in 1900 by baseball historians.

Reactions: Aclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Thinking a modern era started with the start of you following the team is silly and that's what he's doing. It's weak.

The modern era of baseball is considered to have started in 1900 by baseball historians.

Which is silly since the sport was segregated.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's not even close when comparing arms.

Agreed. It's Purdy by a mile

Mike Leach when asked about how he has had such great success recruiting the QB position and he responded "find a QB that's accurate and we'll figure out the rest"

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Both Purdy and Davis are "statistical machines" for their position. Purdy was breaking career passing records as a sophomore. When you account for the "winning category", Purdy is the clear winner here. It's clear that Davis was special but he won 5 total games in his career. Davis didn't change the direction of the program or lead us to a major bowl game. It's hard for me to say he is the GOAT.

Purdy's resume in 2 1/2 years is far more impressive than what Davis achieved individually.

Statistical machines lol. Sounds like a GDI engineer who never tossed a football around in his life.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I think a lot of you might be prisoners of the moment. You are comparing apples to oranges with Purdy and Wallace. Different QBs. I was at Arrowhead for the 2002 game vs. Florida State and also in Kinnick for the 2002 win vs. arguably the best Iowa team ever. In both instances Wallace freakin put the team on his back. He ran like a receiver and could roll left at full speed and throw across his body on a DIME. The way he bent his torso and threw across his body was Mahomes esque. Brock Purdy is the perfect QB for Campbells system. Its an interesting argument. I think if Wallace played in this system with a top tier defense and a couple elite playmakers his efficiency/turnover numbers would have been far more impressive. Wallace made plays athletically Brock is not capable of. Purdy might have a bit more moxy however and the "it" factor. Absolutely love both of them! Purdy is a stud!

Last edited:

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Purdy does not have a strong arm. Wallace threw bee bees across his body running full speed. It's not even close when comparing arms.

Purdy is accurate and runs the offense very well. He's probably not going to hammer the deep outs to the sidelines like some but that's not often needed in college football. As for Brady, Manning and Brees, the two remaining active players are over the age of 40 but threw the deep outs very well with accuracy, especially in their prime. Manning had a good of an arm as any during his physical prime as well. Brady and Manning were both 6-4 215# QBs. Arm strength wasn't an issue

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think a lot of you might be prisoners of the moment. You are comparing apples to oranges with Purdy and Wallace. Different QBs. I was at Arrowhead for the 2002 game vs. Florida State and also in Kinnick for the 2002 win vs. arguably the best Iowa team ever. In both instances Wallace freakin put the team on his back. He ran like a receiver and could roll left at full speed and throw across his body on a DIME. The way he bent his torso and threw across his body was Mahomes esque. Brock Purdy is the perfect QB for Campbells system. Its an interesting argument. I think if Wallace played in this system with a top tier defense and a couple elite playmakers his efficiency/turnover numbers would have been far more impressive.
Wallace had a higher ceiling but a much lower floor. He was downright bad the last half of his senior year unfortunately

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Wallace had a higher ceiling but a much lower floor. He was downright bad the last half of his senior year unfortunately

Wallace's ceiling was a 10 year NFL career. I agree Purdy has had a better college career but has also played with MUCH more talent. Both great im their own respects.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and CyTwins

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Why is the discussion relegated to QB and RB?

for example how do you compare Keith Sims to Purdy and Seneca?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron