'22 QB Rocco Becht Commits

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
After listening to the interview I am very impressed with how well spoken and confident Rocco is. Obviously he's a great player as he's shown but the way he answered questions was what stuck out to me. I can't imagine giving solid answers to questions like that when I was in high school. I remember doing interviews after I pitched in high school and I'm sure my answers were "I just pitched good today and my team helped lots" or something dumb like that

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It's fun to read the excitement about a new QB recruit. It really is. But the immediate future of ISU's QB is already at ISU. Bocco, is that his name? He seems to be a nice little guy athlete, but he will be waiting his turn after those already on campus. Seriously, slap that boner.
Seriously, dude? His name is at the top of the page and probably visible on the tab if you're on a computer. It's not hard to get the kid's name right.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
After listening to the interview I am very impressed with how well spoken and confident Rocco is. Obviously he's a great player as he's shown but the way he answered questions was what stuck out to me. I can't imagine giving solid answers to questions like that when I was in high school. I remember doing interviews after I pitched in high school and I'm sure my answers were "I just pitched good today and my team helped lots" or something dumb like that

Yes, very well spoken and mature for his age.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

In addition, for pretty much all of David's career, the offensive line had not advanced to the level Breece has enjoyed. David would have averaged another 1-2 yards per carry if for no other reason than where first contact occurred.

Breece makes the line look better in ways David could not in college. Glad he has improved his patience and vision at the next level, but he wasn't able to set up blocks while at ISU the way Breece does. It is very rare at this level. As others have stated, Breece doesn't have the ability to barrow through tacklers the way David could. Different, but great backs.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I can tell you are enthused about Rocco and his potential. I completely agree with your take on his Junior Tape highlight reel, the first clip! I had also commented on that exact play (above) and how it reminded me of Rodgers or Mahomes. I'd forgot about Russell Wilson! Yes and him too. And Rocco himself said how he is trying to emulate Wilson and Mahomes. Pretty big aspirations! I hope he can get there or even close.

He seems like a great and well spoken dude, a leader, especially for only being a Senior to be in High School. When he gets here, there will be great QB competition as the two 'lefties' in waiting are no slouches either!
We don’t know that our next great quarterback is on campus.
Agree with both statements here. Although Rocco seems very talented, he will have to be extremely special to come in as a Freshman and start right away. I don't think I heard anyone say exactly that but it might have been implied, a little anyway?

I like Rocco, I really do. But we maybe should pump the brakes a bit. Hunter and Aiden will have a little say in who starts in 2022. That and both of them will have had two full years in the program/system, ahead of Rocca.

It will be fun to follow the QB competition, that is for sure. I think we have two really good, young QB's in Ames right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: clonedude

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Breece makes the line look better in ways David could not in college. Glad he has improved his patience and vision at the next level, but he wasn't able to set up blocks while at ISU the way Breece does. It is very rare at this level. As others have stated, Breece doesn't have the ability to barrow through tacklers the way David could. Different, but great backs.

I mean does Breece make the OL look better? Or is the OL just better?

Reactions: sp8815

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Seriously, dude? His name is at the top of the page and probably visible on the tab if you're on a computer. It's not hard to get the kid's name right.
Has Bocco committed yet?
He was great in that movie, a little before my time but historically significant,
"Bedtime For Bocco".
Throughout director Fred de Cordova's career as producer of "The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson", Carson and guests would make frequent jokes and references to "Bedtime for Bonzo" as well as tie-ins in regards to Ronald Reagan becoming President of the United States.
Bedtime for Bonzo - Wikipedia

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Higher rated recruits are, IMO, mostly irrelevant to this team. We are a top ten team with almost all 3 star recruits. This staff has certain talents and traits they look for, doesn't matter what some recruiting analyst thinks. Our success is opening doors to higher rated recruits, but we only want them if they fit our 5-star culture.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Higher rated recruits are, IMO, mostly irrelevant to this team. We are a top ten team with almost all 3 star recruits. This staff has certain talents and traits they look for, doesn't matter what some recruiting analyst thinks. Our success is opening doors to higher rated recruits, but we only want them if they fit our 5-star culture.
Agree for the most part. Campbell is going to basically guarantee us higher caliber recruits in the next couple of classes. There's no reason to think we don't pull in a couple of four star guys in each class moving forward. That being the case, getting some higher rated guys would only help with our athleticism and talent. The staff knows what to look for to fit our culture in these higher rated guys, and Campbell maximizes the talent out of his players. If four star, top 300 recruits commit, it means the staff knows they're going to work in our system, which is only going to help us. Brock Purdy was a late bloomer, but he was offered by Alabama, and really should have been a 4 star recruit. Iowa State happens to steal some diamonds in the rough that fly under the radar. Give us some more talent to go along with one of the best coach and support coaching staff in college, and Iowa State could turn into the equivalent of Virginia in basketball (I think that's a pretty good comparison. Virginia gets so many talented guys, but Bennett doesn't get the best recruits, so he molds them into guys that will fit the system.

Some schools like Texas, Michigan, and Penn State are having chemistry issues. Those schools get all of the talent in the world, but they continue to underperform with their talent. Texas fired their last coach, Harbaugh could be gone if Michigan doesn't compete for the conference, and Penn State just came off a horrendous year. It's either coaching, the players not working well in a system, or a combination of both. Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney know how to win with all of the talent in the world, so it seems like a coaching issue (for the most part, even though some it is likely players)

Reactions: t-noah

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Not sure how old you are, so it might not have been out then, but all you need to know about giving interviews can be learned from Crash Davis in one viewing of Bull Durham. ;)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is why it doesn’t really matter how many stars our players had or where our class ranks….. our scouting is top notch.

Nobody wanted Rocco, but we saw the potential, and of course now he’s blowing up.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Rocco Saw a nice bump in his 247 rating today!

247Sports Florida Analyst Andrew Ivins told CyloneAlert: “I’ll add that Becht will be someone that we continue to track and someone that can rise even further with a strong senior season. The biggest thing for the son of the former NFL tight end Anthony Becht will be cutting down on mistakes after tossing an interception one in every 27 pass attempts as a junior.”

I for one did not realize how many turnovers he had as a junior. It's pretty obvious how stellar his summer has been. I can't wait to see the results of his hard work this summer pay off into results for his senior campaign! More ratings action to come.

I'll end with this.. If he were 6'2" or taller. He'd be a 4 star already

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Rocco Saw a nice bump in his 247 rating today!

247Sports Florida Analyst Andrew Ivins told CyloneAlert: “I’ll add that Becht will be someone that we continue to track and someone that can rise even further with a strong senior season. The biggest thing for the son of the former NFL tight end Anthony Becht will be cutting down on mistakes after tossing an interception one in every 27 pass attempts as a junior.”

I for one did not realize how many turnovers he had as a junior. It's pretty obvious how stellar his summer has been. I can't wait to see the results of his hard work this summer pay off into results for his senior campaign! More ratings action to come.

I'll end with this.. If he were 6'2" or taller. He'd be a 4 star already

Good to see he finally got a well-deserved bump. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't jump further. At least they mentioned that he has a decent chance of rising even further based on how he performs this fall.

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron