'22 QB Rocco Becht Commits

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I’m curious as to just what the college football definition of a “blue blood” might be. Because if it’s a perennial top ten team with a great coach, then we seem to be on our way to being one.

In which case, I’m okay with five star kids wanting to go to a blue blood.
The list of teams who've cracked the Top 10 once and then fallen back to mediocrity is LOOOOOOONG!

We should probably pump the brakes a bit before declaring us a 'Blue Blood'.

All signs point to great things for us with Campbell at the helm, but we've still got a lot of 'prove it' to do.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If you watched Dekkers limited action and couldn't get excited for that lefty cannon of an arm and huge frame, I don't know what to tell you. I just hope we have enough sub 4.5 guys to try and outrun his deep throws. Plus, from all accounts he is a fantastic young man. If he had wanted to, you would be surprised at how many schools he could have transferred in as the starter. I am sure many schools inquired.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The list of teams who've cracked the Top 10 once and then fallen back to mediocrity is LOOOOOOONG!

We should probably pump the brakes a bit before declaring us a 'Blue Blood'.

All signs point to great things for us with Campbell at the helm, but we've still got a lot of 'prove it' to do.
That would be why I said “seem to be on our way” rather than “declaring us a blue blood”. :rolleyes:

The constants in our favor being Matt Campbell…and our fan support. Neither is a minor asset.

Most importantly, it was simply a joke about five stars wanting to go to “blue bloods”. Might want to pump the brakes on overreacting. Iowa State football and Matt Campbell still have a LOOOOOOT of spade work to do before anyone considers us a blue blood. Even a couple of Playoff Titles might not fix that one.

Er. Though I’m totally willing to find out.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I feel like my love for David keeps me from truly appreciating Breece. He is more of a silent leader than David but he's not too reserved. Love it.

I hear yah, but really as far as true talents, the only thing Breece isn't superior to David in is his yards after contact. David was one of the best there ever has been at that.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I hear yah, but really as far as true talents, the only thing Breece isn't superior to David with is his yards after contact. David was one of the best there ever has been at that.
Yeah I don't know about that David has maybe the greatest balance off of cuts I've ever seen. Some of those cuts are Barry Sanders like. I also expect David to possibly lead the league in rushing this year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That balance is a lot of why he is so tough to bring down, so they kind of play hand in hand
It helps but that's just attitude. Nothing against Breece but nobody wanted that extra yard more than David. And David was 5th overall in total yards last year if I remember correctly in the nfl. Let's pump the brakes until Breece is outperforming him at the next level.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It helps but that's just attitude. Nothing against Breece but nobody wanted that extra yard more than David. And David was 5th overall in total yards last year if I remember correctly in the nfl. Let's pump the brakes until Breece is outperforming him at the next level.

I don't think that is fair to compare Breece to David now, especially with how different the leagues are and how much David has evolved since being at ISU. I much prefer to compare the college to college career and I'm a monstrous Bears fan, so I watch every game David plays in now. David's success he has had lately is a lot due to his much improved vision, his better patience, and how much he has also improved his speed. All the credit in the world goes to David for that improvement. He somewhat struggled on all those fronts to varying levels during his college career and even during his first year in the league.

Reactions: flycy and t-noah

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't think that is fair to compare Breece to David now, especially with how different the leagues are and how much David has evolved since being at ISU. I much prefer to compare the college to college career and I'm a monstrous Bears fan, so I watch every game David plays in now. David's success he has had lately is a lot due to his much improved vision, his better patience, and how much he has also improved his speed. All the credit in the world goes to David for that improvement. He somewhat struggled on all those fronts to varying levels during his college career and even during his first year in the league.
His blocking has never been very good for his entire college and NFL career. What David has done with inferior lineman is quite frankly shocking. Do you remember how many times he was hit in the backfield while it isu? There's no doubt Breece is a great running back but I'm not ready to say he's better than David.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

In addition, for pretty much all of David's career, the offensive line had not advanced to the level Breece has enjoyed. David would have averaged another 1-2 yards per carry if for no other reason than where first contact occurred.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hear yah, but really as far as true talents, the only thing Breece isn't superior to David in is his yards after contact. David was one of the best there ever has been at that.
I seem to recall PFF posting a graphic recently about Breece leading the nation in YAC last year. He isn’t too shabby in his own right.

Back on topic, now I’m starting to wonder if Rocco might be a January enrollee, to get in on the post-Brock competition that much sooner.

Any word?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Seriously, how is he just a 3 star recruit? Watch the footwork, agility, read progression, and then delivery. He already looks like a college ready QB as a junior. Is it height? Because that Drew Brees guy seemed to do okay and he is even shorter.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seriously, how is he just a 3 star recruit? Watch the footwork, agility, read progression, and then delivery. He already looks like a college ready QB as a junior. Is it height? Because that Drew Brees guy seemed to do okay and he is even shorter.
The last time all these scouts saw him (pre COVID), he was 5’11” 170. A solid 6’0” or 6’1” 190 makes quite a difference.

Reactions: aauummm

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
His blocking has never been very good for his entire college and NFL career. What David has done with inferior lineman is quite frankly shocking. Do you remember how many times he was hit in the backfield while it isu? There's no doubt Breece is a great running back but I'm not ready to say he's better than David.

They are two different style rbs who excel in different areas. Breece is a smooth 1-2 cut runner and then he shifts his gear. He doesn't dance because he doesn't have to and then has a higher gear to get his yards. Not to mention he currently has a better OL than David ever had. DM had to find his own way oftentimes creating his own hole or space which required bulling over guys. He lacks top end speed. I think Breece has more potential for a higher yard output in the NFL just because of his running style and hes faster. I know someone brought up that David was 5th in rushing last year, great feat, but that was also because there were a fair amount of injuries to RBs. That group has also changed usage over the years. There's more time shares and less Derrick Henrys. Hopefully bears (I don't care for the teams sake) improve their OL even more so he can supplant his name in the NFL as a regular talked about back.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Both backs have unique skills that will, and do, make them successful. The thing that they both have is that they are self motivated and do the work. Campbell is always looking for that in his players. Montgomery is just one of the hardest working players anyone has seen. I think he will continue to quietly improve and accomplish more than anyone expects.

Just thankful to have more than one option on our team. The depth is what helps us contend.