***2024 NFL Draft***

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I understand the desire to ALWAYS draft QB's high. But it seems the Bears need to take the approach of building up their roster instead of the NFL status quo approach of chasing the next great QB. That approach works about 50% of the time, but the Bears track record with Fields, Trubisky, etc. is not good.

Feel like the Bears need to trade out of #1 and get 3-4 draft picks. If they aren't sold on Fields, then try to get a package of picks (Rd2 in 2024/Rd3 in 2025) based on his 2024 performance with a new team.

Go out and sign a QB retread for 1-2 years, a guy like Tannehill, Minschew, Wentz, etc. Then build up the roster with draft picks. Because I can just about guarantee if the Bears are right on 100% their 2024 draft picks, their ceiling is a .500 team. So they should get a shot at a solid college QB in 2025. He might not be generational (like Williams is projected), but it seems like young QB's have a better chance of success when they play with a solid roster around them.

I’ve said this a lot but I’d trade fields for a 2nd round (maybe 1st?) pick. I trade the 1st pick to the patriots for the 3rd overall pick and atleast a second round pick (and more?). With the 3rd pick, grab Marvin Harrison jr. with the 9th pick grab the best o linemen. With the multiple second round picks, grab more OL and DL. Sign baker mayfield to a one year deal with an option for a second. That team might compete….

Fields isn’t the answer and (hot take)…. Neither is Williams.

Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’ve said this a lot but I’d trade fields for a 2nd round (maybe 1st?) pick. I trade the 1st pick to the patriots for the 3rd overall pick and atleast a second round pick (and more?). With the 3rd pick, grab Marvin Harrison jr. with the 9th pick grab the best o linemen. With the multiple second round picks, grab more OL and DL. Sign baker mayfield to a one year deal with an option for a second. That team might compete….

Fields isn’t the answer and (hot take)…. Neither is Williams.
I see a lot of mock drafts with Bears going with DE as their second 1st round pick. Agree with your approach of loading up on offense. I am a big believer a bad/mediocre team can win more games if they are above average on one side of the ball. Would love the Bears to go:

Rd1 (Trade Down): Harrison
Rd1: OT
Rd2: (Fields Trade): Best OL
Rd 3: WR

I also wouldn't be adverse to trading down a couple times. Harrison might be generational, but if JJ McCarthy is rising, some team might be willing to jump into the top 5 to draft him.

In the end the Bears overall #1 pick could generate them 5-6 draft picks. I would prefer that to betting on Williams being the next Mahomes.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm a Packers fan.... but if I were the Bears GM... I think the smart play is to just keep Fields and trade away the 1st pick for a bunch of draft picks. I think Caleb Williams is just another Fields. No difference IMO. In fact, Fields might be better IMO. Williams could just be another Bryce Young.

But I think the Bears will draft Williams with the 1st pick, and then get what they can for Fields. And it's hard to argue with that honestly. The fans aren't thrilled with Fields, they want to go in a different direction. And if you pass on Williams and he turns out to be an elite NFL QB... you're done for as GM, and the Bears might not recover from that for a LONG time. The risk of passing on Williams might be too big.

As for the Packers.... we need DB's.... mostly safeties, but a corner would be good too. I think they would love to get Dejean (and play him at safety) in the first round if he falls that far, but probably doubtful. My dream would be Dejean in rd 1, and Tampa in rd 2. We also need a LB IMO because I don't think they will bring back Devondre Campbell. After that, need OL and probably a RB at some point because I don't think they bring back AJ Dillon.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm a Packers fan.... but if I were the Bears GM... I think the smart play is to just keep Fields and trade away the 1st pick for a bunch of draft picks. I think Caleb Williams is just another Fields. No difference IMO. In fact, Fields might be better IMO. Williams could just be another Bryce Young.

But I think the Bears will draft Williams with the 1st pick, and then get what they can for Fields. And it's hard to argue with that honestly. The fans aren't thrilled with Fields, they want to go in a different direction. And if you pass on Williams and he turns out to be an elite NFL QB... you're done for as GM, and the Bears might not recover from that for a LONG time. The risk of passing on Williams might be too big.

As for the Packers.... we need DB's.... mostly safeties, but a corner would be good too. I think they would love to get Dejean (and play him at safety) in the first round if he falls that far, but probably doubtful. My dream would be Dejean in rd 1, and Tampa in rd 2. We also need a LB IMO because I don't think they will bring back Devondre Campbell. After that, need OL and probably a RB at some point because I don't think they bring back AJ Dillon.
Would be such a dumb move. The Bears OL is pure garbage. And they're historically terrible at evaluating QB talent. Why on earth they wouldn't trade down and stock up on picks to address the OL is both baffling and the most Chicago Bears thing ever.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I’d take Wilson. My gut tells me baker would be cheaper but either in my books would be a stopgap. Load up on picks by trading the 1st pick and moving down AND trade fields. Just in those two moves you’re likely atleast getting a top 10 pick if you can find a suitor who wants the first overall pick and two 2nd round picks. If not more. I think if you could get Harrison JR with the top 10 pick you do it and putting him across from DJ Moore. You have two good WRs then. Then you grab o line help. Give them a year, develop a qb you draft in a later round and in two years you prosper
They can draft Williams #1, a tackle at #9, and a good WR in round 2. This draft will be loaded with WR talent... They will probably get a 2nd rounder for Fields also. I don't think I would take an expensive veteran that hasn't been great the last 2 years over a high ceiling rookie that I won't have to pay a lot for 4 years.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
They can draft Williams #1, a tackle at #9, and a good WR in round 2. This draft will be loaded with WR talent... They will probably get a 2nd rounder for Fields also. I don't think I would take an expensive veteran that hasn't been great the last 2 years over a high ceiling rookie that I won't have to pay a lot for 4 years.
I don’t believe Williams is any better than what you would get out of fields… or some medium salaried vet like baker. To me Williams and fields are not the answer. If penix was there at the top of the second (which some are projecting), I feel like that would be a better choice.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The Bears have a ton of cap room, so they can address the line through FA. They drafted a tackle in the first round last year who played pretty well.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Sounds like some of the "Top" guys aren't working out at the Combine and Harrison Jr. might not do ANY testing at all prior to the Draft.

Help Support Us

Become a patron