***2023 PGA Tour Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
LIV's commitment to unorganically trying to make golf cool is unrelenting. This is a painful watch:

I don't dislike the idea of trying new formats for golf, there are a lot of interesting possibilities, but the actual LIV tournaments are boring to watch. They need to make the actual golf interesting to watch in ways PGA Tour golf may not be, but just slapping teams on it and then having the golf and the broadcasts be the same isn't the play.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Apparently they're losing their apparel deals since they'll have team uniforms. Makes me think that all of their sponsorship deals are getting cut, there can't be enough eyes on them to justify what they were getting paid when they were on the tour.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't dislike the idea of trying new formats for golf, there are a lot of interesting possibilities, but the actual LIV tournaments are boring to watch. They need to make the actual golf interesting to watch in ways PGA Tour golf may not be, but just slapping teams on it and then having the golf and the broadcasts be the same isn't the play.

And this is why I think Tiger and Rory's ventures will be successful. There's plenty of room for innovation in golf. But trying to convince everyone you're the "cool Tour" when you are fronted by some of the most unlikable figures in golf is laughable.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023

Pretty wild stuff. Liv spent $750 million in 2022 which doesn’t include payments to the golfer.

I wondered how they make money with no broadcasting deal and no major sponsors

• Informative
Reactions: Bigman38

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

Pretty wild stuff. Liv spent $750 million in 2022 which doesn’t include payments to the golfer.

I wondered how they make money with no broadcasting deal and no major sponsors
They don't but the Saudi's have money to burn I guess.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I may be in the minority.. But I want LIV to wake up the sleepy PGA Tour.

Outside of the majors and Ryder Cup, the game needs energy and passion. If I ran the show, I would lean into this and have a LIV versus PGA style competition.

The Saudi's want to and have invested BILLIONS into the game. That is exactly what we need, more competition and rivalry.

I get that Saudi Arabia is polarizing though and can see why lots are turned off by them.

Reactions: isutrevman

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Outside of the majors and Ryder Cup, the game needs energy and passion. If I ran the show, I would lean into this and have a LIV versus PGA style competition.

The Saudi's want to and have invested BILLIONS into the game. That is exactly what we need, more competition and rivalry.

I get that Saudi Arabia is polarizing though and can see why lots are turned off by them.

Yeah, **** them, it's a disgrace they're involved with them.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023

Yeah pga needs to do something more to get its events better. The 17th hole at waste management is about it

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I haven't watched a single LIV tournament. But really I don't watch much PGA anymore either. The split really lost me as a viewer and I used to watch at least a day of each week's tournaments.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That launch monitor graphic is pretty amazing (shows you where the ball will land a split second after the ball is struck). Not sure that it is a great thing for TV as it makes the actual ball landing kind of anticlimactic, but that technology is very promising for golf simulation.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38