2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
IB’s play down the stretch did not help his draft stock. Best case scenario for us is that he knows he’s bound for Europe and decided to give it another run next year.

• Agree
Reactions: MattCampbell

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I hope I'm not crucified for this but he's got to either get quite a bit better on offense into next year or play a smaller role. He was excellent in the tournament, especially against Wisconsin, but you can't have a starting guard be a negative as often as he was this year.

Love his effort on defense but unless there are massive strides made on offense over most of the roster, you realistically do need more from that spot, especially from a starter.

Well this team going forward will still be in the mold of Tony Bennett's UVA and Richard Bennett's Badger teams. (the stupid sensors on this board do not allow me to call Coach Bennett by his abbreviated name)

If a guy is a really good defender, he will always have a home.

Gabe is probably one of your most valuable commodities based on where the focus is and how this team will look to win.

I

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Well this team going forward will still be in the mold of Tony Bennett's UVA and Richcard Bennett's Badger teams.
If a guy is a really good defender, he will always have a home.

Gabe is probably one of your most valuable commodities based on where the focus is.
I would venture a guess that the focus becomes far more balanced as things move forward.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I would venture a guess that the focus becomes far more balanced as things move forward.
I know TJ’s comments say one thing however he’s a big coach speak guy it seems. But I wonder how much of our style of play this year is TJ tailoring it to the personnel vs it just being how he wants to play. Will be interesting to see going forward.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
TJ had to build an identity this year given the pieces he had and it was about effort and defense. It carried us all the way to the sweet 16. But it clearly has its limitations.

I get the comparisons to UVA on the surface but they also had guys that could score when they needed to. They were not as limited offensively as we were

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
And so many misses were really, really off. Even in the tournament as he was playing better overall. Really baffling to me. It's like a baseball player with the yips or something.
I'm thankful we got a good offensive game from him in the 2nd round. It was not likely.

Hopefully he comes back, but assuming he does not massively improve, his usage needs to go back to his underclassmen days, if not lower. 4th or 5th option on the court type.

He's not a selfish player by any means, his 22% usage is right around where the 3rd highest volume guy tends to be. But his efficiency just atrocious for someone that high in usage. I mean, I've never seen worse on a good team. His defense pretty much in line with the rest of the roster.

We can have 5 guards in a rotation, 4 if all are getting starter level minutes.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I know TJ’s comments say one thing however he’s a big coach speak guy it seems. But I wonder how much of our style of play this year is TJ tailoring it to the personnel vs it just being how he wants to play. Will be interesting to see going forward.
Agree. His South Dakota State teams just tried to outscore opponents. Otz knew the only chance for this year’s team to have success was with defense and toughneas.

Reactions: WastedTalent

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
100%

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If we could get Gabe to just hit the wide open stand still 3s we would improve exponentially. It is just a killer when he doesn't even hit rim on them.

I think that was the problem though. He wasn't a stand still shooter apparently. Once he stopped trying that and worked to get to the basket he was very effective.

I think the key to the offense next year is to stop trying to be a 3 point shooting team. We need guys work to get to the lane. If Gabe returns, he could be a piece of that strategy.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Agree. His South Dakota State teams just tried to outscore opponents. Otz knew the only chance for this year’s team to have success was with defense and toughneas.
If that's the case, now that he's seen how many games their defense not only won or kept them in it, I hope he doesn't go back to just trying to outscore people.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think that was the problem though. He wasn't a stand still shooter apparently. Once he stopped trying that and worked to get to the basket he was very effective.

I think the key to the offense next year is to stop trying to be a 3 point shooting team. We need guys work to get to the lane. If Gabe returns, he could be a piece of that strategy.

In the era of pace-and-space and no-middle defenses, getting into the lane is 100% correlated with being able to hit 3s.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In the era of pace-and-space and no-middle defenses, getting into the lane is 100% correlated with being able to hit 3s.

But there's a big difference in kickout 3's stemming from a drive and passing the ball around the perimeter and chucking one up with the ball never getting inside the 3 point line. Our offense resembled the latter too often this season.

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
Agree. When he's played to his strengths on offense, it's helped a lot. Posting up smaller guards, mid range, and attacking off the dribble are when he's at his best. Just shouldn't be taking more than one or two threes a game unless he's like, crazy on fire.
Maybe just me, but Gabe must have some injury. He has a hard time even standing up the last month. Driving looks difficult

Reactions: isutrevman

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I think we may see someone like Tristan or Jaden transfer. maybe even Tre Jackson just because the probably want to play? who knows.

I hope we get IB, Gabe and Jazz back. I really think it would be in there best interest.

We have to go find a big guy IMO. Not sure we can rely on Robert Jones being our only post player. Thats a lot to ask.

I am not sure how you fix the shooting issue other than just getting better, one of the freshman or finding a transfer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron