2022 NFL Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
With this Kolar news, is it me or could the 2022 NFL Draft be one of historic proportion for Iowa State?

We could have:

Brock Purdy
Breece Hall (have to think he’d declare if he has another season like this year)
Charlie Kolar
Mike Rose
Will McDonald (Maybe stays longer, but with another 10 sack season he might find it an opportunity)

All get drafted in the same draft. This doesn’t even include other guys who could work their way into building better stock next year like X, Chase Allen, Eisworth, maybe even an offensive lineman.

Now, this is all going with the assumption everyone plays up to their potential next year. But it would be a historic payoff for Iowa State to get that many players out there in one year. I can’t remember many years where we’ve had more than two players drafted, maybe we had three on one or two occasions back in the early 2000’s? That’s about it.

Reactions: azhuth09

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
With this Kolar news, is it me or could the 2022 NFL Draft be one of historic proportion for Iowa State?

We could have:

Brock Purdy
Breece Hall (have to think he’d declare if he has another season like this year)
Charlie Kolar
Mike Rose
Will McDonald (Maybe stays longer, but with another 10 sack season he might find it an opportunity)

All get drafted in the same draft. This doesn’t even include other guys who could work their way into building better stock next year like X, Chase Allen, Eisworth, maybe even an offensive lineman.

Now, this is all going with the assumption everyone plays up to their potential next year. But it would be a historic payoff for Iowa State to get that many players out there in one year. I can’t remember many years where we’ve had more than two players drafted, maybe we had three on one or two occasions back in the early 2000’s? That’s about it.
I’m thinking you could add an OL or two to that list, maybe a WR (or two, by the ). Then Anthony Johnson—and probably Isheem Young.

About this time next year, there’ll be people moaning about how how little talent we have coming back in ‘22. They’ll be wrong, but they’ll still be complaining.

• Agree
Reactions: tyler24

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I’m thinking you could add an OL or two to that list, maybe a WR (or two, by the ). Then Anthony Johnson—and probably Isheem Young.

About this time next year, there’ll be people moaning about how how little talent we have coming back in ‘22. They’ll be wrong, but they’ll still be complaining.
I’m good with next year being an all out year, even if it means having a transition year I’m 2022 while the new guys learn to gel.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I’m good with next year being an all out year, even if it means having a transition year I’m 2022 while the new guys learn to gel.
I’ll gladly take a playoff birth with a couple of down years afterwards than sustained 8 win seasons. The good part is Campbell and his staff over coach and these guys have far more potential than we think that I think we can be decent in 2022 and not fall to the bottom of the conference.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Next years draft class will be historically deep. The ISU players will fall a bit because of it. I could see the NFL awarding additional draft picks and doing 10 rounds or more.

Reactions: ISUcyclones11

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ll gladly take a playoff birth with a couple of down years afterwards than sustained 8 win seasons. The good part is Campbell and his staff over coach and these guys have far more potential than we think that I think we can be decent in 2022 and not fall to the bottom of the conference.
I didn’t say ‘22 would be a down year. I said that people would be complaining about the graduation losses before it happened. The two aren’t necessarily the same thing.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

I mean, talent wise I think we can still be good. Obviously more unknowns at this point, but Matt Campbell did keep bringing in better and better recruiting classes. It might be a step back, but I have a hard time believing a Matt Campbell led team won’t be one of the better Big12 teams at this point.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I mean technically, none of the guys you listed will actually have used up all of their eligibility. With the extra year given, it's really hard to say what the draft is going to look like the next few years. It will be really interesting to see what underclassmen do with that extra year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

We could have:

Brock Purdy
Charlie Kolar
Mike Rose

I don't know if McDonald gets drafted. Has a shot but still has some things to prove. I think right now though they have a shot to have the best draft ever for ISU and anywhere from 6-8 guys drafted. It is always hard to guess who gets drafted in the later rounds.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
McDonald is 20lb of muscle away from being a first rounder. Prototype height, length, athleticism combo for a 3-4 edge. Just needs the strength to improve. Hopefully a full year with the new S&C staff can make some strides there.

Reactions: algonacy and ZRF

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I will always over-value our guys when it comes to draft time, so I'm playing it more conservatively. I think Hall and Rose would be the most likely to get drafted. Kolar not going this year makes me wonder about the feedback he got. He seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm guessing his blocking may have come into question. We'll see if he takes on some of the blocking responsibilities vacated by Soehner.

I'd love to see more guys get drafted, but measurables play such a large part in the draft once you get past the first two rounds. Purdy's arm strength will hold him back. McDonald needs to prove he's an every-down player, but the potential is clearly there. X and Eisworth will probably continue to be overlooked despite being solid in every aspect. From an outside perspective, their amount of 'wow' plays are probably too low.

Hopefully, an O-lineman gets his due. I'd friggin love that. That group has accomplished so much as a unit, but I'm not sure that one will stand out enough.

I'm optimistic that a second year of exposure opens up some doors for these guys.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I don't know if McDonald gets drafted. Has a shot but still has some things to prove. I think right now though they have a shot to have the best draft ever for ISU and anywhere from 6-8 guys drafted. It is always hard to guess who gets drafted in the later rounds.
If he has another double digit sack season, it’ll be hard for him not to get drafted.

Has things to work on for sure.

Reactions: Halincandenza

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I will always over-value our guys when it comes to draft time, so I'm playing it more conservatively. I think Hall and Rose would be the most likely to get drafted. Kolar not going this year makes me wonder about the feedback he got. He seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm guessing his blocking may have come into question. We'll see if he takes on some of the blocking responsibilities vacated by Soehner.

I'd love to see more guys get drafted, but measurables play such a large part in the draft once you get past the first two rounds. Purdy's arm strength will hold him back. McDonald needs to prove he's an every-down player, but the potential is clearly there. X and Eisworth will probably continue to be overlooked despite being solid in every aspect. From an outside perspective, their amount of 'wow' plays are probably too low.

Hopefully, an O-lineman gets his due. I'd friggin love that. That group has accomplished so much as a unit, but I'm not sure that one will stand out enough.

I'm optimistic that a second year of exposure opens up some doors for these guys.
In regards to Kolar, Matt Miller listed him as TE5 in the draft. I have a hard time thinking he didn’t have a decent stock.

I think Kolar’s in a position where he’s pretty firmly in the mid rounds for his draft projection. Barring a very big drop off next year, his stock should not move much.

He does have a chance to become a higher round guy if he builds off what he did the end of this year. I see this more as him betting on himself than anything else. Probably also wants to be sure he finishes schooling.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
McDonald is 20lb of muscle away from being a first rounder. Prototype height, length, athleticism combo for a 3-4 edge. Just needs the strength to improve. Hopefully a full year with the new S&C staff can make some strides there.

McDonald has the highest ceiling, by far, of all of our players. Breece is great but the RB position has been devalued (rightfully so) in the modern NFL. It used to be common place to have top 5 rb picks but not anymore. ELITE edge rushers on the other hand are drafted at a premium. If McD adds that muscle and can show he can at least hold his own in more "every down" type situations he'll be a first rounder. Possibly a top 10 pick at that.

With that said, Breece is the best bet to go high (just needs to replicated) followed by McDonald, Hutch and Kolar/Rose/Purdy depending on how things go. I also think Hutchinson can be a 2nd round (maybe late first) depending on the year he has. I doubt we see anyone else although Eisworth and Allen may turn into late round picks if they/the team play well. If will take a lot of improvement for our offensive linemen to get drafted. Regardless ISU will smash their all time record for draft picks.

• Haha
Reactions: demoncore1031

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If he has another double digit sack season, it’ll be hard for him not to get drafted.

Has things to work on for sure.

He WILL get drafted, it will be a matter of where. If he puts on the muscle (and displays the same effort he has since he's been here) he will likely be a first round pick. His pass rush metrics were insane as an undersized end. If he's closer to 250, with that frame and motor, he'll have 13-15 sacks next year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
McDonald has the highest ceiling, by far, of all of our players. Breece is great but the RB position has been devalued (rightfully so) in the modern NFL. It used to be common place to have top 5 rb picks but not anymore. ELITE edge rushers on the other hand are drafted at a premium. If McD adds that muscle and can show he can at least hold his own in more "every down" type situations he'll be a first rounder. Possibly a top 10 pick at that.

With that said, Breece is the best bet to go high (just needs to replicated) followed by McDonald, Hutch and Kolar/Rose/Purdy depending on how things go. I also think Hutchinson can be a 2nd round (maybe late first) depending on the year he has. I doubt we see anyone else although Eisworth and Allen may turn into late round picks if they/the team play well. If will take a lot of improvement for our offensive linemen to get drafted. Regardless ISU will smash their all time record for draft picks.

I appreciate the optimism, but Hutchinson will not be drafted in the 2nd or 1st round. That's crazy talk. I don't think he has the measurables to get drafted at all.

Slow down guys. Lets just get someone drafted period before we project first round picks.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
I appreciate the optimism, but Hutchinson will not be drafted in the 2nd or 1st round. That's crazy talk. I don't think he has the measurables to get drafted at all.

Slow down guys. Lets just get someone drafted period before we project first round picks.
I think he‘s a day 3 guy, maybe 5th or 6th round.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone