2022/23 Coaching Staff Changes

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I get what you're saying but it seems bad form to celebrate someone's failure, I think he was trying his best, it just wasn't good enough.

If he was sabotaging the offense on purpose, or cheating then, yeah...

So you’re saying Manning’s best was “run up the middle for short gain on 1st try a long pass that isn’t open on 2nd run passing routes short of the sticks on 3rd” is trying his best? Because everyone in the stadium and watching at home can be a defensive coordinator when they know that’s what’s coming every drive.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
So you’re saying Manning’s best was “run up the middle for short gain on 1st try a long pass that isn’t open on 2nd run passing routes short of the sticks on 3rd” is trying his best? Because everyone in the stadium and watching at home can be a defensive coordinator when they know that’s what’s coming every drive.
Not going to argue about all that. The change needed to happen, it happened, I'm glad it did. At the same time, I'm not going to take a victory lap on someone being a failure or inept.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Not going to argue about all that. The change needed to happen, it happened, I'm glad it did. At the same time, I'm not going to take a victory lap on someone being a failure or inept.
It's not victory lapping to say "good, he wasn't good at his job".

That's relief. That's an exhale after holding our breaths that we may just have another year of, not even bland, but strikingly awful offense.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Call Alex Golesh and beg him to come back. What is he making at Tennessee now vs what was Manning making at ISU?

Also heard Scott Frost may be OC at Arizona State. Worth a shot? Idk.

As someone said earlier, I love Scheelhaase, especially for recruiting, but he cannot be promoted to OC.
Golesh is making $1.2 million/yr and I'm sure it would cost a heck of a lot more than that to pull him away from Tennessee after the season they had. We aren't getting Golesh, let's be realistic.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You have to find a coordinator that is willing to use what they have, not force what we don’t. Iowa state, even for our lack of success this year, has pieces to work with to make a respectable offense.

The scary thing is as good as the offense was when we had the right pieces in place, with the right coaching it could have been even better. You know - like not conditioning Purdy to be afraid of running with the ball, which was his greatest strength early in his career. I will never forget that in the Big 12 Championship game on the final drive and with time to play Purdy literally turned down running the ball with literally 30+ yards of open field in front of him to instead throw to a double-covered Kolar downfield. Someone who was known for taking off at the slightest opening and making pump fakes work 15 yards past the LoS early in his career had to be conditioned not to run in that situation.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
You have to find a coordinator that is willing to use what they have, not force what we don’t. Iowa state, even for our lack of success this year, has pieces to work with to make a respectable offense.
if we executed once we got in our opponent's territory, we're probably 8-4 this year. I hope that's something that is improved next season

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
The scary thing is as good as the offense was when we had the right pieces in place, with the right coaching it could have been even better. You know - like not conditioning Purdy to be afraid of running with the ball, which was his greatest strength early in his career. I will never forget that in the Big 12 Championship game on the final drive and with time to play Purdy literally turned down running the ball with literally 30+ yards of open field in front of him to instead throw to a double-covered Kolar downfield. Someone who was known for taking off at the slightest opening and making pump fakes work 15 yards past the LoS early in his career had to be conditioned not to run in that situation.
A reminder of what our QBs looked like without being shackled to "a system".

Kyle Kempt first career start: 236.3 Passer Rating
Kyle Kempt best career start: 236.3 Passer Rating
Brock Purdy first career start: 243.1 Passer Rating
Brock Purdy best career start: 243.1 Passer Rating
Hunter Dekkers first career start: 196.2 Passer Rating
Hunter Dekkers best career start: 196.2 Passer Rating

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

That's... a very interesting stat. LMAO

Reactions: CloneIce

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019

That is partly indicative of opposing defenses having no film.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Manning was fired as OC, are we trying to play with semantics to make a point? He was apparently offered a demotion, and as most people know that’s a courtesy extended to certain employees, with the assumption that they won’t take it (soften the blow). CMC fired Manning.
Whoops I effed that up. I was responding to an earlier post then abandoned it and closed the app and came back later and replied to another post and the app kept the quote and what I had wrote earlier.

I was talking about Scheelhaase in the second paragraph of my reply.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron