2022-2023 MBB computer projections thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Also, re: question posted earlier -- to my knowledge, teams from same league are allowed to be placed in First Four matchup, although I'm guessing committee would try to avoid it if possible. But maybe there is a rule they can't meet if they've played more than once in regular season, unless unavoidable (not sure on that one, without checking).

Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I just want 10 conference wins. That's all I've wanted from the beginning. Get there and I'll be happy. Probably gets us a 5 seed? Maybe a 6?
I would guess 10 wins would get us a 4 or 5. When the committee starts crunching numbers, the strength of the Big 12 will be very apparent. The week in, week out rankings tend to undervalue teams that are playing a far tougher schedule and elevate teams that stack up easier wins. The same thing happens with public perception.

Reactions: isutrevman

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I'm still cool with it.

4 seed is still a win in my eyes. We're probably a 4/5 seed anyway.

Funny how expectations change throughout the year!
Yeah, I think it's important to keep things in perspective. It's okay for people to adjust expectations based on results, but those expectation changes also only come from surpassing initial expectations in the first place. At the beginning of the season, and maybe even at the beginning of Big 12 play, I think most people here would have been more than happy with any NCAA tournament spot.

Reactions: CoachHines3

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I think it's important to keep things in perspective. It's okay for people to adjust expectations based on results, but those expectation changes also only come from surpassing initial expectations in the first place. At the beginning of the season, and maybe even at the beginning of Big 12 play, I think most people here would have been more than happy with any NCAA tournament spot.

There's too much 'but they led the conference in late January!' without recognizing how the final 6 weeks' schedule doesn't care especially in the B12 currently.

That doesn't excuse last night; that was awful but there are other losses out there that would have negated the title deal.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's continually surprising how many on Twitter, especially the sky is falling fans, react to a loss. I've seen several ranting about how this loss and this loss alone unquestionably drops us from a 3 seed to an 8 seed. LOL. I can't.
Yeah, the Debbie Downers always extrapolate one loss into "I don't see another win on our schedule". Must suck to be that negative.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's continually surprising how many on Twitter, especially the sky is falling fans, react to a loss. I've seen several ranting about how this loss and this loss alone unquestionably drops us from a 3 seed to an 8 seed. LOL. I can't.
The over reaction based on one game is always funny. Don't get me wrong, I cant remember the last time I was this taken back by a loss in basketball, but I would not at all be surprised if this team won the next 4 or 5 games.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The over reaction based on one game is always funny. Don't get me wrong, I cant remember the last time I was this taken back by a loss in basketball, but I would not at all be surprised if this team won the next 4 or 5 games.
This team reminds me a lot of Johnny Orr teams...amazing at home. Dogshite on the road. I think we're gonna knock off someone no one expects us to on the road still