2022-2023 MBB computer projections thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't think KState is a threat to win the conference. They're behind Texas, Kansas, ISU, Baylor and TCU on Kenpom. I think it's a 4 horse race between ISU, TCU, KU and Texas. MAYBE Baylor can sneak in there since they're a lot better with a healthy Cryer.

I also don't really trust Texas since they lost Beard, but they've held the line so far.
For KSU, most of the tough games remaining are at home so that will help them. They do seem like the team to me that could all of the sudden start losing some games. I mean last night they needed two guys in Massoud and Carter to just go off to stay in the game and they don't normally play like that. In the KU game the other day, they had another guy just go off for the game of his life. Nowell and Johnson will continue to play well but I think seeing teams a second time around could end up being a problem for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For KSU, most of the tough games remaining are at home so that will help them. They do seem like the team to me that could all of the sudden start losing some games. I mean last night they needed two guys in Massoud and Carter to just go off to stay in the game and they don't normally play like that. In the KU game the other day, they had another guy just go off for the game of his life. Nowell and Johnson will continue to play well but I think seeing teams a second time around could end up being a problem for them.
They looked really bad at TCU, and honestly, if they don't shoot an uncharacteristic 9/16 from 3 last night, that one wouldn't have been nearly as close as it was.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They looked really bad at TCU, and honestly, if they don't shoot an uncharacteristic 9/16 from 3 last night, that one wouldn't have been nearly as close as it was.

This just reminds me banked-in threes spotted Oklahoma State six points.

Six points that easily swing that game if they got the bricks they deserved.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
9/16 in itself is enough, but your point is more true if you consider the timing of most of those makes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This just reminds me banked-in threes spotted Oklahoma State six points.

Six points that easily swing that game if they got the bricks they deserved.
There is not another play in sports that pisses me off more than a banked three. You put up a terrible shot that had no chance of going in, and get rewarded with 3 points. You can't miss a little bit and bank in a 3, it has to be a terrible miss that would have been an air ball had the backboard not gotten in the way.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and exCYtable

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There is not another play in sports that pisses me off more than a banked three. You put up a terrible shot that had no chance of going in, and get rewarded with 3 points. You can't miss a little bit and bank in a 3, it has to be a terrible miss that would have been an air ball had the backboard not gotten in the way.
Didn't we lose in OT at KU after a banked three tied it? I seem to remember that, but my mind does not want to give me full access to that memory. Just awful.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Big 12 should definitely get at least 7.

If you watch any Big 10 games all they talk about is the "murderers row" the conference schedule is. They fail to mention they only have 2 ranked teams and the Big 10 is down alot this year, but they still think they shoukd get 10-11 teams.
That depends. It’s possible that OSU, WVU, OU and TTU all end up 6-12 or worse. I would guess if that played out only WVU would have a chance to get in.

Ad great as the conference is could end very bimodal with only 6 teams in, but all high seeds.

The big difference in strength of the conference isnt necessarily number of potential tournament teams. It’s that the top 6 are all in great position to have high seeds.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I wouldn't object to a "banked threes don't count" rule.

Make it a turnover/out of bounds or a jump ball or something.

Inside the arc, sure, the backboard is an important part of the offensive arsenal.

But nobody aims to bank in a three. If luck rewards you one, it shouldn't count.

You didn't "drill it." You missed terribly and got bailed out by some 1% RNG luck.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Updated odds from this morning. Has us as the favorites, with Texas just behind. But top 6 are starting to break away a bit from the other 4 teams. Would definitely be happy with 12-6 though in conference!

View attachment 108753

We are 2-1 with a road loss to the bottom 4 teams. It will be critical to take care of business going forward. To me, that's split the road games in Morgantown and Lubbock and win every home game. That puts you at 6-2 vs the bottom.