***2021 Olympics thread***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
There is no way in the world I could swim 1500 meters, the life guard would be dragging me out of the pool. Just being honest folks.

Dh joked they were going to show the lotr trilogy extended version while they swam. I said I'd drown just trying to tread water that long

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
In an interview yesterday biles was asked if anyone in the world could best her. She said no.

Anyways, my interest is lost mostly because I see results before the event is televised. That kills it for me.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I do wonder if Simone Biles mental health issue was partially due to the coaching and USA gymnastics. Not only did the Larry Nassar thing cause trauma previously but also did the coaches provide a good environment to help keep stress levels low? Do they have a counselor or sports psychologist on staff? Nobody really knows the situation but this might have been prevented with regular mental checks.

It is a good reminder to all of us to focus on mental health every day and don't wait to get help. Waiting and or ignoring mental health can lead to other issues such as breakdowns and mental health sick days.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I do wonder if Simone Biles mental health issue was partially due to the coaching and USA gymnastics. Not only did the Larry Nassar thing cause trauma previously but also did the coaches provide a good environment to help keep stress levels low? Do they have a counselor or sports psychologist on staff? Nobody really knows the situation but this might have been prevented with regular mental checks.

It is a good reminder to all of us to focus on mental health every day and don't wait to get help. Waiting and or ignoring mental health can lead to other issues such as breakdowns and mental health sick days.

I wonder the same thing. Maybe a bit more broad scale though. Now, gymnastics may be a bit more touchy because of the disgusting things that have happened within that organization over who knows how many years, but I was watching the interview with the girl who won gold in surfing. She said things have been really hard and made specific mention about not having family in close proximity. Her voice cracked when she said it. Later, Phelps was talking about how “we” need people who will allow us to be vulnerable. Not try to “fix us”. It made me wonder if he was hinting about family too.

Just another thing to pile on to ungodly expectations for someone like Biles.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What the hell. Why is mental health in quotes?

I think much of the criticism is having too narrowed of a view of what "mental health" means, and also there not being a more nuanced explanation of what Biles is going through. It's almost as though people will only accept it if she's balled up in the corner of her room having a full on panic attack or something. Gymnastics is a very dangerous sport where if you aren't completely there and committed mentally, you shouldn't do it. You'll get hurt. And if you listen to the commentators that have watched Biles for years and understand gymnastics, something concerning happened mentally on that last vault she did.

I think she honest to goodness felt her team was better of having someone else perform given the mental block she was going through, and there's no fault in that. It's not as though her pulling out DQ'd her team. There were other elite, world-class gymnasts that could take her spot.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I wonder the same thing. Maybe a bit more broad scale though. Now, gymnastics may be a bit more touchy because of the disgusting things that have happened within that organization over who knows how many years, but I was watching the interview with the girl who won gold in surfing. She said things have been really hard and made specific mention about not having family in close proximity. Her voice cracked when she said it. Later, Phelps was talking about how “we” need people who will allow us to be vulnerable. Not try to “fix us”. It made me wonder if he was hinting about family too.

Just another thing to pile on to ungodly expectations for someone like Biles.
That is a great point. Not having family or other emotional support system there seems to be effecting a lot of these athletes. All of these Olympic athletes are facing tremendous pressure, not just the GOATs like Biles. These athletes are likely feeling a lot of isolation as well with not having all of the support system available.

Reactions: cowgirl836

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That is a great point. Not having family or other emotional support system there seems to be effecting a lot of these athletes. All of these Olympic athletes are facing tremendous pressure, not just the GOATs like Biles. These athletes are likely feeling a lot of isolation as well with not having all of the support system available.
And for the most part not being able to even take in the city to blow off some steam.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
And for the most part not being able to even take in the city to blow off some steam.
I would guess that their interaction with teammates, coaches and other athletes might be limited a bit as well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So let's say in the Ryder Cup this year Dustin Johnson develops the yips and can't make a putt inside 5 feet. He plays his practice rounds and realizes he just doesn't have it, and instead of testing it when the matches matter he tells the Captain to just play someone else in his spot. I'm going to venture to guess he gets lauded for being selfless, and not criticized in the manner Biles has.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

This theory would make sense if this were her first Olympics. You can't even blame it on family not being there, she was clearly not right at the US trials either. My unprofessional opinion is the pressure of people expecting her to be a gymnastic god got to her (or more damaging, her expecting that of herself).

It seems pretty obvious to be stress related and seeing a professional couldn't hurt (assuming she hasn't been, that may be bad assumption) but that doesn't always stop the yips.

Also, there is no environment you could make to keep the stress levels low. Have you ever tried to do a back flip on a bar the width of a cell phone with millions of people watching? I haven't, but I can imagine it is very, very stressful. Most athletes are weeded out for not being able to handle the stress long before they reach the Olympic level. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often, and maybe it does but it just doesn't get covered because it doesn't usually happen to the greatest gymnast in the world.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So let's say in the Ryder Cup this year Dustin Johnson develops the yips and can't make a putt inside 5 feet. He plays his practice rounds and realizes he just doesn't have it, and instead of testing it when the matches matter he tells the Captain to just play someone else in his spot. I'm going to venture to guess he gets lauded for being selfless, and not criticized in the manner Biles has.

No. He would be criticized also, even if it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

In short, people suck. They criticize people and situations they themselves have no idea about while sitting in front of their TV eating pints of Haagen Dazs and Cheetos.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Love SImone Biles. She was on the Mount Rushmore of athletes in my opinion . However, I can't imagine any other major athletes quiting mid event. I can't imagine Tom Brady making the super bowl and quitting mid way through the first quarter because of Emotional problems. I am not blaming Biles and she did what was best for her. However, I think she loses some of her greatness because of it.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Love SImone Biles. She was on the Mount Rushmore of athletes in my opinion . However, I can't imagine any other major athletes quiting mid event. I can't imagine Tom Brady making the super bowl and quitting mid way through the first quarter because of Emotional problems. I am not blaming Biles and she did what was best for her. However, I think she loses some of her greatness because of it.

Apples, oranges

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Funny, I think she's greater. And I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I can see why people think the shine may have faded, I just 100% disagree.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron