***2021 Olympics thread***

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
From today:

Biles, Team U.S.A.’s star, said she pulled out of the event because she wasn’t in the right place mentally to perform the difficult and often dangerous skills she is known for, after feeling so much pressure to be successful. She had been struggling with the stress of being the greatest gymnast in history, she said, and outside expectations were just too hard to combat.

Before the event on Tuesday, she said she began “fighting all of those demons,” and couldn’t hold them back.
“At the end of the day, I have to do what was right for me,” she said, adding, “It just sucks that it happened at the Olympic Games.”

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I watched Men's VB the other day and thought it was awesome. The power they hit the ball with, holy **** get out of the way!!!!!

And of course I always enjoy women's beach VB

can’t imagine getting hit in the face by one of those spikes on men’s volleyball. Plastic surgery would def be needed

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The replies to that really highlight just how much work we have left to do when it comes to understanding mental health. Jesus.

the mental aspect is what separates the good gymnasts from the elite ones. It's pretty rare for an Olympic champion to just lose her nerve though I imagine it's akin to an athlete having the yips.

It gets a lot more complicated if she competes in and wins the all around.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The replies to that really highlight just how much work we have left to do when it comes to understanding mental health. Jesus.
I think the way people are talking about it is the problem more than anything. I was listening to Chris’s show on the way home here and the one caller was right. If she wasn’t there mentally then competing harms the team. The way that people are talking about it is that she quit. When you say she quit it looks bad but when you say she said the other gymnasts give a better chance I think it would play better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the way people are talking about it is the problem more than anything. I was listening to Chris’s show on the way home here and the one caller was right. If she wasn’t there mentally then competing harms the team. The way that people are talking about it is that she quit. When you say she quit it looks bad but when you say she said the other gymnasts give a better chance I think it would play better.

And it sounds like she played it right by stepping aside.

I'd wonder if after such a weird last 1.5 years if some athletes on such a stage are realizing how overwhelming their former 'normal' was especially at a young age.

Someone will say--'well, what about the other gymnasts? They seem fine (that we know)'.

Answer: I can't name a single one. Simone Biles is the face of it all and deservedly so. Her position is more intensive.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why do we praise athletes for performing under the highest pressure, then praise them equally for walking out due to that pressure?

If this was individual events it'd be different. It doesn't hurt the team. Imagine Giannis walking out on the Bucks in Game 7. He'd be ridiculed for the rest of time.

While our current advancement of mental health is helpful overall and we shouldn't stop that advancement, I think it is giving athletes an "out" when they don't feel like they can perform at their best. Instead of trying and failing, just quit and say mental health and now you're an even bigger hero.

If you're not mentally healthy enough to perform, don't show up and walk out in the last minute. Give your team time to adjust and prepare. Give another girl a shot. Doing this after she screwed up is kinda hard not to think this was her failing which morphed into a mental issue exacerbated by the stress of being the face of the US Olympic team.

I hope Simone can wrestle whatever demons she's facing. She shouldn't be raked over the coals over this but walking out like this is the exact opposite of what elite athletes do.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Why do we praise athletes for performing under the highest pressure, then praise them equally for walking out due to that pressure?

If this was individual events it'd be different. It doesn't hurt the team. Imagine Giannis walking out on the Bucks in Game 7. He'd be ridiculed for the rest of time.

While our current advancement of mental health is helpful overall and we shouldn't stop that advancement, I think it is giving athletes an "out" when they don't feel like they can perform at their best. Instead of trying and failing, just quit and say mental health and now you're an even bigger hero.

If you're not mentally healthy enough to perform, don't show up and walk out in the last minute. Give your team time to adjust and prepare. Give another girl a shot. Doing this after she screwed up is kinda hard not to think this was her failing which morphed into a mental issue exacerbated by the stress of being the face of the US Olympic team.

I hope Simone can wrestle whatever demons she's facing. She shouldn't be raked over the coals over this but walking out like this is the exact opposite of what elite athletes do.
Oof

• Winner

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Aren't you a big Lebron fan?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

That’s not how it works, Man.

bear24

Aug 7, 2018

I am torn on it…part of me hears the point CW was making on the show today. She is obviously capable and done so much representing our country already. The team results are literally carried by her.

The other part thinks what kind of a message are we telling our kids now? When the going gets tough, quit? There was a male Russian gymnast last night out there competing shortly after a serious Achilles injury which seems to carry more risk. Think of all the athletes that would kill to be in her spot.

My opinion will never matter on this but I think she gets a pass in my book currently. However, if she gets better to compete individually after leaving the team high and dry that may change my opinion.

• Dumb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I am torn on it…part of me hears the point CW was making on the show today. She is obviously capable and done so much representing our country already. The team results are literally carried by her.

The other part thinks what kind of a message are we telling our kids now? When the going get tough, quit? There was a male Russian gymnast last night out there competing shortly after a serious Achilles injury which seems to carry more risk. Think of all the athletes that would kill to be in her spot.

My opinion will never matter on this but I think she gets a pass in my book currently. However, if she gets better to compete individually after leaving the team high and dry that may change my opinion.

Based on the history of US Gymnastics I wouldn’t blame any of these people for quitting.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

The other part thinks what kind of a message are we telling our kids now? When the going gets tough, quit? There was a male Russian gymnast last night out there competing shortly after a serious Achilles injury which seems to carry more risk. Think of all the athletes that would kill to be in her spot.

Did CW say that she sent the message.... "when the going gets tough, quit"?

• Dumb
Reactions: jmb and bear24

bear24

Aug 7, 2018
Based on the history of US Gymnastics I wouldn’t blame any of these people for quitting.

Thats an angle I didn’t consider. It makes you wonder how things may have played differently if he family and support would have been able to attend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron