***2021 Olympics thread***

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Keep in mind that although the Opening Ceremonies are on Friday the 23rd, there are some events that begin this week. Both men’s and women’s soccer and softball all will play games before Friday. In soccer, the US Women open with their first group stage match against Sweden (the team that knocked them out of the 2016 Olympics) early Wednesday morning at 3:30 am.

Covid lurking around every corner.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Kinda frustrating most of the primetime coverage is dedicated to gymnastics (9-nights) and swimming. Hoping my fav field events like high-jump and pole vault and boxing get more coverage and not relegated to an obscure streaming channel like 2016.

I've always been disappointed about the programming choices as well. I am interested in the variety of other sports that are being played. With that being said, does anyone know where I would be able to watch the other sports for free?

Reactions: Go2Guy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I've always been disappointed about the programming choices as well. I am interested in the variety of other sports that are being played. With that being said, does anyone know where I would be able to watch the other sports for free?

I'm still sorting all the options out, but first thing I did was download the Olympic app, which may have some events live and also on-line stream from PeacockFree (NBC streaming); supposedly able to get some of the Field Events live (despite the 18 hr time diff).

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The US Women kick off their soccer campaign tonight on USA at 3:30 am if anybody wants to record the middle of the night match. Or if you’re feeling really crazy pull an all nighter!

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
On the eve of the Olympic opening, please check out this all-timer, it's well worth your time regardless of if you have watched it before.

Reactions: drlove

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Just a reminder, here are the four Cyclones who are participating in the Tokyo Olympics. Please stay safe and best of luck to all of them!

NameSportsRepresenting CountryStatus as an ISU Student
Bridget Carleton​
Women's Basketball​
Canada​
former​
Hillary Bor*​
Track & Field​
USA​
former​
Candelaria Herrera​
Women's Volleyball​
Argentina​
current​
Ariana Orrego*​
Women's Artistic Gymnastics​
Peru​
current​

*also participated in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Based on this article, EIU only has one.

Last edited:

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Anyone else watching the opening ceremony live? It has been pretty cool so far. The drone globe and the pictogram recreation show were both really impressive!

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Anyone else watching the opening ceremony live? It has been pretty cool so far. The drone globe and the pictogram recreation show were both really impressive!
Yes those two segments are pretty creative. I have watched the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony and here are my takes.

1. I really need this Olympics to get away from the Big12 missile crisis, which has been depressing in the past two days.

2. Yes it has some shining moments but it just feels strange without the energy drawn from the spectators in the stadium.

3. I gave the host country Japan some credits for

1) honoring and fulfilling their obligation to holding the Olympics in the middle of the pandemic while facing huge financial losses without putting spectators in stands.

2) the decision of choosing Naomi Osaka, who is pretty much raised in the US and doesn't speak fluent Japanese, as the person to light the Olympic cauldron, in that they should have plenty of famous born and raised Japanese candidates to choose from.

4. I wish NBC could leave politics out of the Olympics. What the world needs now is more solidarity and togetherness in this tough time. Sport is a great platform to achieve this goal.

5. I hope all the athletes stay safe because the last thing they want is their Olympic dreams to get shattered by the positive Covid test results.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Yes those two segments are pretty creative. I have watched the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony and here are my takes.

1. I really need this Olympics to get away from the Big12 missile crisis, which has been depressing in the past two days.

2. Yes it has some shining moments but it just feels strange without the energy drawn from the spectators in the stadium.

3. I gave the host country Japan some credits for

1) honoring and fulfilling their obligation to holding the Olympics in the middle of the pandemic while facing huge financial losses without putting spectators in stands.

2) the decision of choosing Naomi Osaka, who is pretty much raised in the US and doesn't speak fluent Japanese, as the person to light the Olympic cauldron, in that they should have plenty of famous born and raised Japanese candidates to choose from.

4. I wish NBC could leave politics out of the Olympics. What the world needs now is more solidarity and togetherness in this tough time. Sport is a great platform to achieve this goal.

5. I hope all the athletes stay safe because the last thing they want is their Olympic dreams to get shattered by the positive Covid test results.
Yes. Can’t we just have something to watch and cheer for without hearing about damn politics for once.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It was kind of a bummer that Team USA didn't collect any medal on the first day. It will definitely change today as some swimming final events are here.

I'll also be watching USA vs Argentina in women's volleyball tonight. TeamUSA will win easily and I hope our own Cyclone Candee can see some playtime and enjoy her Olympic experience.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron