2019-2020 Computer Projections Thread

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
For such a supposedly horrible conference this year the first net ranking has 30% of the conference in the top 10 and 20% in the top 5.

Yeah, I don't know how many posts I've read recently saying the Big 12 is way-down this season. It does appear unusually top-heavy, but right now there are three that'd be on top-3 seed lines, one ranging somewhere 4 to 6. The bottom half looks mushy, but still has computer numbers that balance eye-testing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, I don't know how many posts I've read recently saying the Big 12 is way-down this season. It does appear unusually top-heavy, but right now there are three that'd be on top-3 seed lines, one ranging somewhere 4 to 6. The bottom half looks mushy, but still has computer numbers that balance eye-testing.
When you are perennially the best league in the nation it is pretty easy to be down and still be a solid league.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I can't believe people are still talking NCAA tournament and 10-8 at this point.

This post hasn't and won't age well.

Tom (jereseib) how did you come to the conclusion that ISU won't make the tourney? Did you use your jump to conclusions mat?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Without looking at the analytics, a lot of college basketball feels kind of 'mushy' all over.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I am an Iowa State fan and I can't tell the difference.
I'm not sure if this was serious or just joking about the poor percentage we have shot from 3.

But just to give you a small sample of what I am talking about. Right now, Gonzaga leads the country in AdjO at 116.0.

Last year they would be 18th with that number. 2018 they would be tied for 23rd. In 2017 they would be 29th.

Last years Iowa State team finished 9th in the country in AdjO with 118.9. That would put them almost 3 full points above 1st this year.

The longer 3s are making it harder to score and since guys aren't hitting them at a higher clip, teams are able to pack the paint more making it harder to get easy 2s. Jared had a tweet a few days ago and the scoring average is down and the worst it has been in a few years.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I'm not sure if this was serious or just joking about the poor percentage we have shot from 3.

But just to give you a small sample of what I am talking about. Right now, Gonzaga leads the country in AdjO at 116.0.

Last year they would be 18th with that number. 2018 they would be tied for 23rd. In 2017 they would be 29th.

Last years Iowa State team finished 9th in the country in AdjO with 118.9. That would put them almost 3 full points above 1st this year.

The longer 3s are making it harder to score and since guys aren't hitting them at a higher clip, teams are able to pack the paint more making it harder to get easy 2s. Jared had a tweet a few days ago and the scoring average is down and the worst it has been in a few years.

I miss the pirate, for this reason.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well, I think that game went about as most of us expected it to go. I will have some comments on the game in a second, but first the effect on our "place" (if you can call it that) on the bubble. It only hurt us a little bit, to be fair --

upload_2020-1-16_10-8-43.png

Texas Tech would be an excellent chance to pick up a resume-building win if we still have any chance, but we all know that is going to be a hard game in Lubbock. The game against Oklahoma State next week is a must-win.

Now, onto last night and its game --

upload_2020-1-16_10-10-12.png

-- I was proud of how we kept it close the first half... the effort and the scheme was there, Haliburton was just missing shots...
-- I think when Tre fouled their three-point shooter to end the half, I had a sinking feeling, and Baylor killed us with that flurry out of the half
-- I do not know if Drew made some sort of schematic adjustment, but it felt more like just effort on Baylor's part to come out and bury us
-- the box score for the two sides is really similar in a lot of ways -- similar EFG and TS, similar turnovers, all that, but there is just one big exception
-- they murdered us on the offensive glass and second-chance points
-- I cannot remember how many easy put-backs they had cleaning up the trash at the rim from their wobbly shooters, but that is what lost us the game
-- otherwise an okay performance by us, but our rebounding is bad while Baylor is one of the elite rebounding teams in the country, and it showed

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Another thing that I noticed --

We are #42 on the "out" list of the bubble right now on Bart Torvik.

upload_2020-1-16_11-16-54.png

There are 32 teams in the NIT. Some of the slots are going to go to auto-bids for regular season champions who got their NCAA tournament bid sniped by somebody in their conference tournament. So that puts us...

Roughly 10th to 15th on the NIT bubble right now, right?

32 slots, minus a couple for teams as I described, then low bubble teams that make it into the NIT at least to salvage something for the season?

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also fun thing I noticed -- seeding lines of teams we've played so far.

Oregon State = last four in, #11 in Dayton PIG
Michigan = #6 seed
Alabama = last four in, #11 in Dayton PIG
Seton Hall = #2 seed
Iowa = #5 seed

We lost to good teams. We just lost a lot of games. :(

And the Big 12 --

#1 Kansas
#1 Baylor
#2 West Virginia
#9 Texas Tech

Ranking on the bubble...

#5 Texas
#15 Oklahoma
#17 TCU
#42 Iowa State
#45 Oklahoma State
#109 Kansas State

The Big 12 is strong at the top but mushy at the bottom. It might only have 4-5 teams this season, depending on how it plays out in the middle.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Another thing that I noticed --

We are #42 on the "out" list of the bubble right now on Bart Torvik.

View attachment 69785

There are 32 teams in the NIT. Some of the slots are going to go to auto-bids for regular season champions who got their NCAA tournament bid sniped by somebody in their conference tournament. So that puts us...

Roughly 10th to 15th on the NIT bubble right now, right?

32 slots, minus a couple for teams as I described, then low bubble teams that make it into the NIT at least to salvage something for the season?
So you're saying right now we're in the NIT? Or if we aren't what number are we looking at to get there?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So you're saying right now we're in the NIT? Or if we aren't what number are we looking at to get there?

I am saying right now we would *NOT* be in the NIT.

I think you need to be roughly <25th on the bubble for that.

32 teams minus at least a few auto-bids

We are 42nd on the bubble right now, so we are probably out of that range.

Somebody correct me if that intuition is wrong, but that seems sensible.

• Informative
Reactions: Statefan10

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Further research --

The last five years, the # of NIT auto-bids has been...

...not the 7ish that I guessed.

So we might need to be more like 20th (or better) on the bubble to make the NIT.

We are presently 42nd.

We got some work to do even for that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I posted this in the "Tournament Path" thread, too. It doesn't fit the computer projections theme, more like Computer Snapshot.

NET rankings (thru 1-16) for ISU, ISU opponents #'s, head-to-head results, remaining schedule. I didn’t do a Quad summary for this update.

69 Iowa State 8-8 (1-3 Big 12)

1 L at Baylor
2 L Kansas
12 W Seton Hall
12 L vs. Seton Hall
28 L vs. Michigan
29 L Iowa
46 W vs. Alabama
55 L at Oregon State
58 W Oklahoma
60 L at TCU
207 W Northern Illinois
272 W Kansas City
260 L Florida A&M
264 W Purdue Fort Wayne
321 W vs. So. Miss
348 W Mississippi Valley State

Yet to face:
1 Baylor
2 at Kansas
8 West Virginia H/A
11 at Auburn
32 Texas Tech H/A
53 Texas H/A
58 at Oklahoma
60 TCU
79 Oklahoma State H/A
103 Kansas State H/A

--> If we had been able to snag one or two more from the single-digit list (at Oregon State/at TCU at least are road wins and Quad-helpful) ... even if forced to eat the FAMU loss, we'd be somewhere near bubble conversation.

"If only..."

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis