2017 FCS Playoffs

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
I don't know how many people here are actually interested in this but I think it's the most under appreciated event in college football. Of course I'm a little biased since I went to a FCS school. A few familiar names from past and future Iowa State non conference games.

Top 8 Seeds (All have first round Bye)
#1 - James Madison 11-0 (CAA)
#2 - North Dakota State 10-1 (MVFC)
#3 - Jacksonville State 10-1 (OVC)
#4 - Central Arkansas 10-1 (Southland)
#5 - South Dakota State 9-2 (MVFC)
#6 - Sam Houston State 10-1 (Southland)
#7 - Wofford 9-2 (SoCon)
#8 - Southern Utah 9-2 (Big Sky)

First Round - November 25, 2017 - All games on ESPN 3
(Hosts listed first)

Stony Brook 9-2 (CAA) v Lehigh 5-6 (Patriot) - Winner plays #1 JMU
Weber State 9-2 (Big Sky) v Western Illinois 8-3 (MVFC) - Winner plays #8 SUU

Northern Iowa 7-4 (MVFC) v Monmouth 9-2 (Big South) - Winner plays #5 SDSU
New Hampshire 7-4 (CAA) v Central Connecicut St 8-3 (NEC) - Winner plays #4 CAU

Kennesaw State 10-1 (Big South) v Samford 8-3 (SoCon) - WInner plays #3 JSU
Nicholls State 8-3 (Southland) v South Dakota 7-4 (MVFC) - Winner plays #6 SHSU

Elon 8-3 (CAA) v Furman 7-4 (SoCon) - Winner plays #7 Wofford
Northern Arizona 7-4 (Big Sky) v San Diego 9-2 (Pioneer) - Winner plays #2 NDSU

Reactions: cyclones500

sdcyfan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD
Go Jacks! A lot of Jacks fans here in SD are planning to come to Ames next fall for the opener. Cyclones should handle SDSU, but Christian returns as their QB so could be interesting. We are making the trip from Rapid City.

• Winner
Reactions: ItsCyence

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Go Jacks! A lot of Jacks fans here in SD are planning to come to Ames next fall for the opener. Cyclones should handle SDSU, but Christian returns as their QB so could be interesting. We are making the trip from Rapid City.
Going to try and make it for sure! I'm out in Western Nebraska but a trip to Ames would make my Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
For those unfamiliar with the set up. All conference winners get an automatic bid. That's why Lehigh made it in since they went 5-1 in the Patriot League. Home games in the first round are decided by a bid of the schools competing that weekend. That's why UNI is hosting 9-2 Monmouth. After the first round, the seeded teams are guaranteed a home game against the winner of the first round winner regardless of record.

• Creative
Reactions: kbud

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
It seems like a screw job that if UNI wins they have to go back to Brookings after they whipped SDSU there earlier this season.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
NO! Go Jackrabbits all the way to the rematch with NDSU in Frisco! I'm going to be very conflicted for the season opener next fall.
My parents met at SDSU in Brookings, but of course they raised a Cyclone. Next year's season opener is going to be fun in our family.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So a couple reasons this won't happen in FBS.

First, if you notice the records of those teams. They add up to 11. So step one is to go back to an 11 game schedule. That'll mess up a lot of TV deals. And with the state of cable TV, a renegotiation with fewer games isn't going to end up with equal money.

Second, there's only 24 teams. Even if you hate the ridiculous number of bowls we have, you're leaving a lot of schools out of post season play. How many teams (including ISU) would go decades without even sniffing post season play? Even with the year we've had this year, we're not a top 24 team. Just feels like you're going to see the same 24 teams year after year.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

First, if you notice the records of those teams. They add up to 11. So step one is to go back to an 11 game schedule. That'll mess up a lot of TV deals. And with the state of cable TV, a renegotiation with fewer games isn't going to end up with equal money.

Second, there's only 24 teams. Even if you hate the ridiculous number of bowls we have, you're leaving a lot of schools out of post season play. How many teams (including ISU) would go decades without even sniffing post season play? Even with the year we've had this year, we're not a top 24 team. Just feels like you're going to see the same 24 teams year after year.

Still shows an 8 team playoff should be possible though. If a team doesn't earn a bye the championship FCS teams end up playing 16 games, the same number a 8 team playoff champion would play in FBS.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Could still have a NIT of sorts. The 12th game was added by traditionalists as an excuse against creating a logical end to the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron