2014 FANTASY FOOTBALL THREAD

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't make the playoffs in my league if I take Calvin Johnson instead of Manning. Now, I almost lost the last two weeks because Manning has been sucking and was hurt, but that's beside the point. I guess I'm coming from late first round where there are no RBs left and the elite WRs have been taken.

Well Calvin obviously had his problems this year. WRs getting injured that badly is more rare than an RB getting injured or replaced, which I think we agree on.

I think there are probably a handful of WRs that would have served you better than Peyton if you took them in the late first.

Dez
Brown
Alshon Jeffrey
DT
Jordy
Cobb
Julio

All those guys were going pick 5/6 or later and I'd rather have them than Manning personally. And out of the top WRs the only ones I can think of that had injury issues were Green and Calvin off the top of my head.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I'm the back to back champion in my only league.

Was 3-6 last year before finishing 8-6 and won it.

Was 2-5 last year before finishing 8-6 and won it.

I think it's safe to say I know how to work the waiver wire.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well Calvin obviously had his problems this year. WRs getting injured that badly is more rare than an RB getting injured or replaced, which I think we agree on.

I think there are probably a handful of WRs that would have served you better than Peyton if you took them in the late first.

Dez
Brown
Alshon Jeffrey
DT
Jordy
Cobb
Julio

All those guys were going pick 5/6 or later and I'd rather have them than Manning personally. And out of the top WRs the only ones I can think of that had injury issues were Green and Calvin off the top of my head.

Up until three weeks ago? No. None of those guys were scoring more than Manning on a weekly basis. I probably gain 2-3 points having them over Mike Evans and I lose 5-6 streaming a QB or picking up some other QB. Now, it would pay to have someone other than Manning now but there was a point where Manning and Bennett were the only guys I was starting who I actually drafted so I absolutely needed him. My RB draft was complete ****.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm only up 13 points and he has Demarius Thomas left to play. Hopes are looking slim.

I wish I would have played Romo over Ryan.

Just gotta hope Denver runs the ball a lot tonight

Well, he just went over 13 points, and then back under thanks to that facemask call.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Went into the night down in both my league championship games but CJ Anderson carried me to victory in both! Double championships!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Up until three weeks ago? No. None of those guys were scoring more than Manning on a weekly basis. I probably gain 2-3 points having them over Mike Evans and I lose 5-6 streaming a QB or picking up some other QB. Now, it would pay to have someone other than Manning now but there was a point where Manning and Bennett were the only guys I was starting who I actually drafted so I absolutely needed him. My RB draft was complete ****.

They don't have to score more than Manning, just more than his replacement.

Like I said, QBs are reliable and easy to find all through the year. You know they will get touches and score points.

Finding an elite WR who is going to score on avg 15-20 a week is much tougher than finding a QB to score 15 in any week.

Sanchez scored 20 this week, Tannehill had 29, Kaep had 27, Carr had 16, Orton 21.

You can find all but Sanchez on the waiver wire in a couple of my leagues.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
in my championship i lost by 36. Luck and AJ green got me a combined 2 points and change. If I start Cam Newton and Reuben Randle and I win by 15.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I just won my first ever Fantasy Football Championship. I had a scary moment when Jeremy Hill busted off an 84 yard TD run and Manning ended up throwing a pick to bring my previously huge lead down to about 8 points, but Manning became Manning again in the 2nd half and all was good. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice this season.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
They don't have to score more than Manning, just more than his replacement.

Like I said, QBs are reliable and easy to find all through the year. You know they will get touches and score points.

Finding an elite WR who is going to score on avg 15-20 a week is much tougher than finding a QB to score 15 in any week.

Sanchez scored 20 this week, Tannehill had 29, Kaep had 27, Carr had 16, Orton 21.

You can find all but Sanchez on the waiver wire in a couple of my leagues.

Minus injuries I didn't have trouble doing that. Hell, even with injuries and having Green and Sanu handcuffed, I didn't have trouble doing that.

It's a matter of strategy but when I look at what to draft past the first couple rounds, I want the guy who is going to gain me the most marginal points, as I put it, which means the guy who will score more than the guy I will get at my next pick at the same position. If I think Rodgers is going to get me 24 per and Tannehill, for instance, will get me 17 per, thats 7 points. If I think Green will get me 15 per and Evans will get me 10 per, that's only 5. I treat TE and QB basically the same. If I can get an elite one, fine. If I can't, I wait until late in the draft, grab someone with some upside, and see what happens. The main difference is that there aren't guys that come to the surface at QB like a Julius Thomas. Yeah, Sanchez was okay, but not great. Bennett at TE was the same.

I was offered Murray for Manning. In hind sight I should have taken it but at the time I had Forsett who was a top 10 guy and Hill who was performing like a top 5 guy. Would Murray have gained me points? Maybe a couple. I didn't see what was coming with Manning, obviously and due to his early season success I couldn't make that trade make sense. I took Manning at 9 though and was able to get Green at 11. The alternative was probably Green then Jones as DT was off the board. If I have Jones, I probably don't have Beckham and I'm worse off in the end. I'm looking at another 9/12 draft next year and my hope is for something like Beckham and Jones with the hopes that Jennings and Forsett again fall deep.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Dez
Brown
Alshon Jeffrey
DT
Jordy
Cobb
Julio

This was probably my worst year for injuries. 3/4 of my team was injured at 1 point. Julio, Green, Shorts, Lynch, Mckinnon, Cooks, JThomas, Hillman...Rivers even played injured...

Think its safe to say this was a good thread to have, even though both sides of advice was always given lol...

Last edited:

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Our championship is this week, always week 17. Traded Jamal Charles for Julio Jones when Charles got hurt and made another trade for Marshawn Lynch after that. Been rolling with Eli, LeVeon Bell, Lynch, Julio, and Jeffrey since about week 8. One more week boys!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Minus injuries I didn't have trouble doing that. Hell, even with injuries and having Green and Sanu handcuffed, I didn't have trouble doing that.

It's a matter of strategy but when I look at what to draft past the first couple rounds, I want the guy who is going to gain me the most marginal points, as I put it, which means the guy who will score more than the guy I will get at my next pick at the same position. If I think Rodgers is going to get me 24 per and Tannehill, for instance, will get me 17 per, thats 7 points. If I think Green will get me 15 per and Evans will get me 10 per, that's only 5. I treat TE and QB basically the same. If I can get an elite one, fine. If I can't, I wait until late in the draft, grab someone with some upside, and see what happens. The main difference is that there aren't guys that come to the surface at QB like a Julius Thomas. Yeah, Sanchez was okay, but not great. Bennett at TE was the same.

I was offered Murray for Manning. In hind sight I should have taken it but at the time I had Forsett who was a top 10 guy and Hill who was performing like a top 5 guy. Would Murray have gained me points? Maybe a couple. I didn't see what was coming with Manning, obviously and due to his early season success I couldn't make that trade make sense. I took Manning at 9 though and was able to get Green at 11. The alternative was probably Green then Jones as DT was off the board. If I have Jones, I probably don't have Beckham and I'm worse off in the end. I'm looking at another 9/12 draft next year and my hope is for something like Beckham and Jones with the hopes that Jennings and Forsett again fall deep.

Of course there are multiple ways to skin a cat.

I always like looking at these:

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football...kham-jr-most-common-players-finalists-rosters

Some are skewed for the last few weeks of the season a bit, but it gives you a good idea.

I wish there was a more comprehensive list for these things.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Our championship is this week, always week 17. Traded Jamal Charles for Julio Jones when Charles got hurt and made another trade for Marshawn Lynch after that. Been rolling with Eli, LeVeon Bell, Lynch, Julio, and Jeffrey since about week 8. One more week boys!

I like your style. Seventeen weeks in the regular season so why only play sixteen weeks of fantasy football? The way I see it, having to deal with teams potentially resting starters is just one more thing to account for along with injuries, suspensions, demotions, and all the other stuff that occurs from week to week in the NFL.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
#2, #4, and #2 seeds in my leagues, win the biggest buy in one and Kelvin Benjamin cost me the title in another with Gronk, Hilton, and Gordon all scoring 0 points week 17. Bummer there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Four time champion in my league. Special thanks to the suckers who gave up on Beckham Jr and Seattle's defense right before they tore the league apart. Couldn't have done it without you guys.