MLB: 2014 Chicago Cubs

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Really excited for this hire. I do feel bad for Renteria, and I think he did a good enough job last year, but to have a proven manager like Maddon is beyond exciting.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
That's where I'm at, too. Have to like hiring an elite manager, but that's a rough deal for Renteria.

as long as he's getting paid anyway, maybe he can stick around as bench coach/hitting coach or something.

More likely is he goes somewhere else to do that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Can't disagree with that. He's one of the best. Have to do it.

We're getting pretty serious about winning this thing.

I think this move means they're planning on going hard after one of the three big pitchers. You don't pay for Maddon and then assemble a team that can't win 80 games.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Hope Maddon can blend this young talent while integrating some veteran pieces to the puzzle.

The Dodgers tried to be the Yankees of the NL, but almost had Puig and Kemp throwing hands in the outfield

Dodgers = clowns

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
MLB definitely pumping the brakes on any announcements until after Game 7 tonight.

Maddon to the Cubs is a HUGE deal. Definitely going to bring a winning attitude and an elite manager to a team that is ready to emerge. It is going to help in recruiting free agents to some extent, changes the clubhouse attitude, helps with far superior in-game managing, etc.

Also, this just proves out the fact that everyone inside baseball (other execs, managers, scouts, etc.) know that the Cubs are set to be something special in short order.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
MLB definitely pumping the brakes on any announcements until after Game 7 tonight.

Maddon to the Cubs is a HUGE deal. Definitely going to bring a winning attitude and an elite manager to a team that is ready to emerge. It is going to help in recruiting free agents to some extent, changes the clubhouse attitude, helps with far superior in-game managing, etc.

Also, this just proves out the fact that everyone inside baseball (other execs, managers, scouts, etc.) know that the Cubs are set to be something special in short order.

He's a true veteran with playoff experience. Hopefully will help a young squad turn that corner and be able to merge youth with veteran acquisitions.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Dream free agency would be to land Maddon, Jon Lester, Russell Martin, and 2nd tier starter. Can't wait to see how this all comes together.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I may be the only one, but I will miss Ricky Renteria. I thought he had the right attitude and made a difference with our guys.

It seems like Maddon has the resume where you make it happen though. Just sad for Ricky.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I may be the only one, but I will miss Ricky Renteria. I thought he had the right attitude and made a difference with our guys.

It seems like Maddon has the resume where you make it happen though. Just sad for Ricky.

I thought Renteria did a good job this year, got Castro and Rizzo back on track. There's really only one or two guys who the Cubs would have moved on from him for, but one of those guys just happened to come available. It's a business decision, Renteria gets two years of pay and will probably get another shot to manage somewhere or find a spot somewhere else in the organization if he wants to stay with the Cubs.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Agreed. Obviously Theo knows a hell of a lot more about baseball than I do, so if he thinks it was the right move, I trust him. But in the back of my mind, the two big risks seem to be:

1. Renteria was doing a good job and had the team playing well at times. Does getting rid of him negatively affect the attitude in the clubhouse?

2. Maddon is a proven manager, but in the American League. I'm guessing he'll be able to adjust to the NL, but it seems like it would be a bit of a learning curve. Obviously it helps having managed in several interleague series over the years.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily a bad move that the Cubs made the hire - these are just questions that come to mind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron