MLB: 2014 Chicago Cubs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Last years attendance was down 657,518 patrons from where it was 5 years prior. That makes a pretty sizabale diffrence in organizational revenues.

You mean people are more likely to attend games when the home team is winning the division, than they are when the home team is in the midst of one of the franchise's worst seasons EVER (which is really saying something in this case)? Color me shocked.

But even so, lack of attendance doesn't mean the team is losing fans. I don't go to Iowa football games very often now that I'm graduated, but I'm still a fan. Some people just don't think it's worth the financial/time investment to physically go to a Cubs game right now, but that doesn't mean they aren't still following the team from home. And those 657,518 patrons will be right back in the seats as soon as the team is good again, which IS going to happen in the near future.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Alcantara should be coming up sometime this month, which is exciting. He doesn't get the pub that guys like Baez, Bryant and Almora have gotten but he's a damn good prospect.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
I realize that there's a difference between Iowa and Chicago, but Baez's fielding percentage is .006 lower than Castro's.

I would take a middle infield with a fielding % of .965 and can hit over .320 with 40+ HR, 100+ RBI's, which is what we would get combining Castro and Baez, over a middle infield that has a fielding % of .980, hitting .220 with ~20 HR and 50 RBI.

What I'm trying to say is I'm willing to risk 10-15 errors a season for .100 points more in a batting average and more power at the plate.
I agree that it's ok to trade excellent offense for some more suspect D, but I seriously doubt Baez will ever be anywhere near a .320 hitter based upon his minor league career up to this point. Although, he and Castro could easily combine for more than 40 HRs in a lot of years, IMO.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The Cubs should actually have a much better record this year based upon runs scored and runs allowed. The Cubs are -11 in run differential and are 10 games under .500. Pittsburg has a run differential of -8 and they are 3 games over .500.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Cubs have been pretty good the last month or so. They are screwing up their draft position! :)

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
What a sweep last night! Loved it. Great to see DB get 4 hits last night. If he could turn it up like he did 2 - 3 years ago that adds alot to this line up.

Just need to stay 10 or less games under .500 going into all star break

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
What a sweep last night! Loved it. Great to see DB get 4 hits last night. If he could turn it up like he did 2 - 3 years ago that adds alot to this line up.

Just need to stay 10 or less games under .500 going into all star break

Ha ha, for what purpose?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Maybe I'm basking in the glow of sweeping a mediocre team in a historic ballpark, but I'm wondering just how far away the club is from contending. They've been respectable this last month with a pack of .200 hitters. There's talent in the pipeline that's getting ready to pop.

Is it really time to trade 2/5ths of the starting rotation including the staff Ace?

The best way to watch Cubs baseball is with MLB.tv. Watch with the radio feed. Pat and Ron have really started to build chemistry and Pat is dead on with his calls. No phantom action or blown calls at all. The TV guys...ehhhh

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Don't they have the best record in the NL over the last month and a half or some stat like that? Or they did a few weeks ago at least.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Alcantara should be coming up sometime this month, which is exciting. He doesn't get the pub that guys like Baez, Bryant and Almora have gotten but he's a damn good prospect.
Really? Where'd you hear that?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The best way to watch Cubs baseball is with MLB.tv. Watch with the radio feed. Pat and Ron have really started to build chemistry and Pat is dead on with his calls. No phantom action or blown calls at all. The TV guys...ehhhh

What's MLB.TV cost? With my Mediacom package I'm able to watch most of the games right now, but think when Rickets renegotiates the TV rights that will get tougher.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Maybe I'm basking in the glow of sweeping a mediocre team in a historic ballpark, but I'm wondering just how far away the club is from contending. They've been respectable this last month with a pack of .200 hitters. There's talent in the pipeline that's getting ready to pop.

Is it really time to trade 2/5ths of the starting rotation including the staff Ace?

This is exactly it....

The Cubs have pitching right now... but don't have bats.... but the bats are heating up... a bit....

Why not hold server a bit here and get this thing turning over? Is there really that much benefit in waiting 3 more years to try and contend? Who knows what can happen with injuries and the ????s around the possible future pitching staff. Pitching is hard to come by and we have it right now. Look what can happen to great young arms. See Jose' Fernandez situation in Miami

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
What's MLB.TV cost? With my Mediacom package I'm able to watch most of the games right now, but think when Rickets renegotiates the TV rights that will get tougher.

Iowa is a tricky market from what I understand. Many teams claim Iowa as their market and blackout rules kick in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard.

I'm supposed to have the Dodgers games blacked out, but for some reason I'm still getting them on my Roku. Not a fan of the team but Vin is the greatest baseball announcer to have lived.

I think it's a little over $100 with auto renew. Basically the only way I can watch the Cubs (and strangely the Dodgers). Every game in HD and available on my phone too