Cubs Blackouts

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
So, in years past, us Cubs fans (and I am thinking Twins, Royals, White Sox, & Cardinals) have been bent over by MLB who claims that we are in the home market of about 5 different teams here in Iowa. Has anything changed with this or not? I am not looking forward to seeing the Cubs ESPN games blacked out again this year and would love to find a contact we can email about this ridiculous situation.

I know in the past we've blamed DirecTv or whomever but when I call them they pass the blame on to MLB.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
So, in years past, us Cubs fans (and I am thinking Twins, Royals, White Sox, & Cardinals) have been bent over by MLB who claims that we are in the home market of about 5 different teams here in Iowa. Has anything changed with this or not? I am not looking forward to seeing the Cubs ESPN games blacked out again this year and would love to find a contact we can email about this ridiculous situation.

I know in the past we've blamed DirecTv or whomever but when I call them they pass the blame on to MLB.

Nothing has changed and the blame is on MLB and their out dated blackout policy.

What's strange is that last year, whenver the Cubs were on ESPN and Comcast Sportsnet at the same time, the ESPN feed wasn't blacked out for me.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
What I absolutely loved is when the Cubs were at Philly, and at Atlanta and the games were blacked out in Des Moines.

I guess MLB is expecting to me to hop in my private jet and go catch the game. :jimlad:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
What I absolutely loved is when the Cubs were at Philly, and at Atlanta and the games were blacked out in Des Moines.

I guess MLB is expecting to me to hop in my private jet and go catch the game. :jimlad:

are you talking about games that were on ESPN and blacked out? In order to protect the local broadcast, the national feeds (ESPN, Sunday TBS games, etc.) of the "local teams" (Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Cardnails, Twins, and Brewers) are supposed to be blacked out.

If you're in Des Moines with Mediacom, blame Mediacom for not offering Comcast Sportsnet.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Royals are rarely on TV but I've never seen them blacked out in Iowa. They get on Fox Sports once in a while.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The blame for blackouts rests firmly on the rights-holders to the games, which is MLB. Yell and scream at DirecTV all you want, but they are just doing what their contract tells them they have to do.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
my dad just e-mailed me this blackout map.....seriously?

mlb_blackout_map1000x733.gif

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
The blame for blackouts rests firmly on the rights-holders to the games, which is MLB. Yell and scream at DirecTV all you want, but they are just doing what their contract tells them they have to do.

That's what my assumption was but what about garn91's assertion that MLB is assuming we should have Comcast for some reason here in central Iowa?

FYI I don't yell at DirecTv but you'd think with how often they probably get yelled at they would have contacted MLB by now.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
my dad just e-mailed me this blackout map.....seriously?

Wow, that's ridiculous to actually see that on a map. Is this from a legit source? That's why MLB Extra Innings is absolutely worthless here in Iowa, you can't watch anyone!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think the majority of the blame is on the local carriers for not picking up the channels, knowing its the only way for fans to see the game. MLB isn't expecting you to go to the game, they are expecting you to support your 'local' partner station...

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Wow, that's ridiculous to actually see that on a map. Is this from a legit source? That's why MLB Extra Innings is absolutely worthless here in Iowa, you can't watch anyone!

Yes, that blackout map is for real. Unless you're a fan of the Yankees or Red Sox, Extra Innings is useless here in Iowa. If you've got DirecTV, hit the link below and punch in your zip code, it'll show you what pro teams you can receive.

Local Regional Sports Network Information

This is what I receive:

Comcast Sports Chicago (all of the Chicago pro teams)

Through the Sports Pack:

FSN North (all Minnesota & Wisconsin pro teams, except the Bucks)
FSN Midwest (Cardnails, Blues, and Royals)