Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Looked at both front and back doors and both have deadbolts. Probably going to lock the deadbolts going forward. Plus side also for doing this is you need to lock a deadbolt from outside so making sure you have your keys is even more important.

Also hiding a spare key outside the house as well.

But now that this has happened to me the OCD in me will have me checking 4 or 5 times that I have them on me before leaving the house.
I only use the deadbolts. The only time I have ever been locked out my house in the 19 years here was when the in-laws locked the other lock and pulled it shut behind them.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Enjoying your stay in our wonderful metropolis? I would offer to meet up but this week has been a **** show. LittleWx has been sick and let's just say he is very dramatic when it comes to not feeling well.

Last night was the end hopefully finish today.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's me and the garage door. I'll turn around and drive by just to double check that it's down. I've even taken a picture of it when taking off for a few days lol
This was me. Early this winter my garage door was misbehaving. I thought maybe it was a sensor problem but I couldn't get it to work by tinkering with the sensor like I usually do. The garage door peeps came out and told me that the opener was toast. It was original to the house (mid '90s) afterall. So the new one they installed has an app so I can open or close from anywhere and it informs me anytime the garage door opens or closes and the current status of said door. It came with two remotes so we just put the app on daughter's phone (she parks on the driveway) for the rare occasions she might need it. We also got a new (replacement) keypad for entry as well.

So now if I'm not sure if I closed it I can tap the app and see if the door is closed or open.

It also has the Amazon thing where Amazon drivers can one time open your door and deliver inside your garage rather than leaving on the stoop. I haven't activated that yet. I'm not sure I trust the drivers to not leave the door open or do something else stupid. I'm also not sure what security controls it has so that an Amazon guy can't come after work and clean out your garage. Although my garage does need a good cleaning...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This was me. Early this winter my garage door was misbehaving. I thought maybe it was a sensor problem but I couldn't get it to work by tinkering with the sensor like I usually do. The garage door peeps came out and told me that the opener was toast. It was original to the house (mid '90s) afterall. So the new one they installed has an app so I can open or close from anywhere and it informs me anytime the garage door opens or closes and the current status of said door. It came with two remotes so we just put the app on daughter's phone (she parks on the driveway) for the rare occasions she might need it. We also got a new (replacement) keypad for entry as well.

So now if I'm not sure if I closed it I can tap the app and see if the door is closed or open.

It also has the Amazon thing where Amazon drivers can one time open your door and deliver inside your garage rather than leaving on the stoop. I haven't activated that yet. I'm not sure I trust the drivers to not leave the door open or do something else stupid. I'm also not sure what security controls it has so that an Amazon guy can't come after work and clean out your garage. Although my garage does need a good cleaning...
I need to get a new remote as the button on one is bad after so much use. I still have the second remote that I use now. The phone app would be great.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Pulled a wood tick off me this morning when I woke up. Couldn't have been on me for more than a few hours because I was up a few hours earlier and it wasn't on me then. So that little bastard crawled from who knows where in my place, into my bedroom, up my bed post, and under my covers. It has a date with my blowtorch.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Pulled a wood tick off me this morning when I woke up. Couldn't have been on me for more than a few hours because I was up a few hours earlier and it wasn't on me then. So that little bastard crawled from who knows where in my place, into my bedroom, up my bed post, and under my covers. It has a date with my blowtorch.

Obligatory

ripley.jpg

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

My favorite part about the smart garage door device is the ability to set it to automatically close at a certain time.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My favorite part about the smart garage door device is the ability to set it to automatically close at a certain time.
Wow, didn't know I could do that. Just checked the app and I can. I should probably set that up because 'Mrs. Kravitz' across the street has called us a time or two to let us know that the door is still open late in the evening.

gladys-kravitz.gif

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Yuck glad it wasn't to firmly embedded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron