WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess I am glad to see the arm chair coaches criticize a coach like Staley just as much as they do Bill. But y'all forget there is a big difference between what the coach tells the players and what they do. Boston was totally out of her game as soon as she got the 2 quick fouls and never recovered. I've never seen SC play this badly, but a lot of credit goes to Clark. She is amazing - and all game long, she pushed off on the drive - sometimes holding the defenders arm and sometimes hooking them - and didn't get called once. Many people have said - and I agree with them - that WBB is not held back by the coaches or by the players, but rather by the level of officiating which has not progressed anywhere near that of the coaches and players.

Back to Staley. Here are a few facts about her coaching success. Gamecocks had a 50% win record in the decade prior to Staley's arrival. During Staley's tenure, their win percentage is 79%. In her first year in SC, the team went 10-18. By her fourth year, they went 25-10, then 25-8 and then 29-5. Starting in her 4th year at SC, the team went to the Sweet 16 for the first time and somewhere around her 9th year, she won the whole thing. When you have a record like hers, feel free to criticize her; until then .....

Staley's approach to last night was really bad.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
i can’t have Howks winning a championship. It just can’t happen and I’m not cheering for that lunatic Mulky. Swerving the whole thing going watch spring VB in MN

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
There was a post suggesting Robyn Fralick as one of the rising stars to replace BF if he retires. Robyn Fralick has just been hired as Spartans head coach

• Informative

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
I would say that Bluder and Jensen way outcoached Staley and I'm glad that there is finally some attention on their coaching. As attention seeking as Mulkey is we can't deny she is an excellent coach. Two years ago LSU went 9-13. Think Iowa will pull it out because of the better athletes but we shall see what Mulkey has up her sparkly, ruffly sleeves.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cupped

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I would say that Bluder and Jensen way outcoached Staley and I'm glad that there is finally some attention on their coaching. As attention seeking as Mulkey is we can't deny she is an excellent coach. Two years ago LSU went 9-13. Think Iowa will pull it out because of the better athletes but we shall see what Mulkey has up her sleeve.
And it’ll be a decorated sleeve.

Reactions: madguy30

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I was surprised how rough that game looked. Also surprised Iowa kept having success throughout enough to pull it out. I'm going to have to take Iowa over that other nasty coach. Don't care too much either way though.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Iowa's half-court offense is so much more fun to watch than Iowa State's. Constant movement and attacking vs making sure the opponent has their D setup before forcing a bad shot late in the clock.
I’ve lived in IC for 25 years but I hate EIU athletics as much as I did the day we moved in. Having prefaced properly, that was a fun game to watch and as much as it pains me, you have to tip the hat to Bluder, Jensen and Clark. The inbounds play they ran at the end of the first half for a wide-open three by Marshall was a thing of beauty!

USC was pure power - go to the rim and get EIU in foul trouble. Iowa had a defensive game plan, stuck to in and weathered the storm, getting just enough stops to pull it out! Reminded me of ISU vs Baylor in the Big XII championship game when Carlton was a senior!

Clark just keeps surprising - we knew she could score back in her Dowling days, but the leadership and well spoken postgame interview were beyond her years. I’ll go to my grave believing ISU had inside track and blew the recruitment, but we had plenty of company in improperly assessing her ability to play within a team!

Finally, Jan Jensen is an incredible coach. USC just kept running out giant McDonald’s All Americans and lumpy Czinano still scores on them! Heck, the O’Grady girl “held her own”.

You have to give credit where credit is due - I don’t like them, but they’re fun to watch and good for the game most of us love!

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
lol. I don't think you watched the game last night, did you?
Lol. The only reason Pollard wouldn’t hire Staley is because she wouldn’t take a pay cut from her $3 Million per year salary.

just because you guys are biased for your hatred of iowa, don’t make yourselves look stupid. She’s one of the best coaches in the game.

Reactions: tavrncy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lol. The only reason Pollard wouldn’t hire Staley is because she wouldn’t take a pay cut from her $3 Million per year salary.

just because you guys are biased for your hatred of iowa, don’t make yourselves look stupid. She’s one of the best coaches in the game.
Yeah anyone who wouldn't want her is crazy. Those people wouldn't sign up for the success that program has had since she started coaching because one game where they looked overmatched by an amazing player? They were still in the game the whole time.

Reactions: tavrncy

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
The only reason Pollard wouldn’t hire Staley is because she wouldn’t take a pay cut from her $3 Million per year salary.
That’s crazy money for a sport that doesn’t break even at most schools, but she has won a pair of nattys. Bluder makes $1.3M and will get a whopping 15% raise for tournament advancement - probably deserved. Kenny Brooks at VaTech makes $625K base, quite a bargain for what he’s accomplished. Our own Bill Fennelly can earn up to $1.1M with incentives - no comment!!! Add in whatever they’re paying Billy and the family business is lucrative…

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Is Staley really this bad of a coach? She hasn’t made any adjustments or anything.

Does she just recruit really good…. and that’s it?
Staley really thought she could just roll out the biggest and most athletic team and they’d win her another natty. It worked for 36 games but if she was somewhat competent they would’ve won it. Kudos to the Iowa coaching staff for a great game plan and the players for executing flawlessly.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I was surprised how rough that game looked. Also surprised Iowa kept having success throughout enough to pull it out. I'm going to have to take Iowa over that other nasty coach. Don't care too much either way though.
Someone posted earlier on about the lineup of officials, commenting that it promised for a very rough final four. Very physical. No whistles.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
I’ll go to my grave believing ISU had inside track and blew the recruitment, but we had plenty of company in improperly assessing her ability to play within a team!
In the 2020 recruiting thread there were some people speculating that CC had chemistry issues with our incoming freshmen. Seeing as one of those freshmen transferred to Iowa it would seem the "chemistry issue" was with the coaches.

(Side note: 4 years later that thread is both sad and hilarious)
Finally, Jan Jensen is an incredible coach. USC just kept running out giant McDonald’s All Americans and lumpy Czinano still scores on them! Heck, the O’Grady girl “held her own”.
Quoting from reddit:

"It's because her coaches are using the fundamentals from when women used to play 6 on 6. You only got 2 dribbles so you had to make them count. They use the techniques they learned when they played and apply it to the post positions now."

• Funny
Reactions: ICCYFAN

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
In the 2020 recruiting thread there were some people speculating that CC had chemistry issues with our incoming freshmen. Seeing as one of those freshmen transferred to Iowa it would seem the "chemistry issue" was with the coaches.

Quoting from reddit:

"It's because her coaches are using the fundamentals from when women used to play 6 on 6. You only got 2 dribbles so you had to make them count. They use the techniques they learned when they played and apply it to the post positions now."
Your logic doesn’t work. Clark not feeling chemistry with the TEAM has nothing to do with an INDIVIDUAL transferring to Iowa. And making the giant leap to "the coaches" is well beyond any logic that can be applied.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

Quoting from reddit:

I’ve done a 180 and probably wouldn’t fare well in that thread - I saw CC with Dowling lose to City High with three future D1 players (including Aubrey) when they were Seniors. CC was selfish and whined non-stop. I thought we had scored a coup with four top 100 recruits, headlined by #12 rated Lexi, and had no need for CC. Of course I don’t get paid to evaluate and nurture girls basketball talent.

I know Ashley and Aubrey weren’t interested in playing with Caitlin coming out of HS - heard it straight from the best player in ISU history on a visit to the family business shortly after they’d been on a Team USA squad together. A great coach would have been able to convince his resident star that having another would benefit both, but that didn’t happen. Now we can only dream of what might have been.

Postscript: Obviously there’s no guarantee CC wouldn’t have selected EIU anyway, but I’m of the opinion we had a great chance to land her if we’d gone in with both guns blazing.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
That’s crazy money for a sport that doesn’t break even at most schools, but she has won a pair of nattys. Bluder makes $1.3M and will get a whopping 15% raise for tournament advancement - probably deserved. Kenny Brooks at VaTech makes $625K base, quite a bargain for what he’s accomplished. Our own Bill Fennelly can earn up to $1.1M with incentives - no comment!!! Add in whatever they’re paying Billy and the family business is lucrative…
Billy makes $165k
Steyer makes $185k
Schaben makes $163k
Total - $513k

Jan Jensen makes $235k
Abby Stamp makes $135k
Raina Harmon makes $140k
Total - $510k

Bluder's daughter makes $55k per year

• Informative

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Your logic doesn’t work. Clark not feeling chemistry with the TEAM has nothing to do with an INDIVIDUAL transferring to Iowa. And making the giant leap to "the coaches" is well beyond any logic that can be applied.
I know Ashley and Aubrey weren’t interested in playing with Caitlin coming out of HS - heard it straight from the best player in ISU history on a visit to the family business shortly after they’d been on a Team USA squad together. A great coach would have been able to convince his resident star that having another would benefit both, but that didn’t happen.
Hmm...the plot thickens

Also from the 2020 recruiting thread, this:
Other than Lexi, who I expect have lots of PG time, no one will need to play 30 minutes a game or carry the team or anything. We will have tons of guards.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Watching the WNIT championship, how did Kansas almost score 100 on us? I know they had some players shoot way above their percentages but did we just not play defense?