Fireball Whiskey Lawsuit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I don’t think it says “malt beverage” below it; it just says cinnamon.

The other issue had to do with language on the back about flavors. The product description says “malt beverage with natural whisky & other flavors.” Fireball is saying that means natural whisky flavors (but not actual whisky) and other flavors, but the much more natural reading of that (and what I think was intended) was that you’d think there was whisky in it along with natural flavors
Here is a picture I found with both labels. It's kind of fuzzy but it says Malt Beverage below Cinnamon.

WTUE6FMWK5DRPGHP4O3BDY75UA.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: ESciGuy

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I don’t think it says “malt beverage” below it; it just says cinnamon.

The other issue had to do with language on the back about flavors. The product description says “malt beverage with natural whisky & other flavors.” Fireball is saying that means natural whisky flavors (but not actual whisky) and other flavors, but the much more natural reading of that (and what I think was intended) was that you’d think there was whisky in it along with natural flavors
Yes, someone was probably confused about the "natural whisky and other flavors," but who was damaged or otherwise hurt by his or her confusion?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Yes, someone was probably confused about the "natural whisky and other flavors," but who was damaged or otherwise hurt by his or her confusion?
I can’t think of anyone who would individually. Although I’d say the same thing regardless of how much the “whiskey” was. If I was going to make a damages argument, I’d probably say that their damages were however much they spent on the fireball because they intended to buy whiskey and were tricked into buying something else (so what, 99 cents?).

I think you could also argue that the public and companies as a whole are harmed when other companies do this because it decreases consumer trust in what they’re buying. But that would just result in fireball changing the packaging; it wouldn’t be a payday for the plaintiff.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Honestly, I've never looked closely enough to notice.
That is basically what the lawsuit is about. Saying they are deceiving people by making 2 versions and making them both out to be the same thing.

And if you are not really looking and paying attention you dont realize which is one is which.

In the grand scheme of things I get the lawsuit, but it also feels like kind of a frivolous reason to sue someone too.

• Agree
Reactions: Sousaclone

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
That is basically what the lawsuit is about. Saying they are deceiving people by making 2 versions and making them both out to be the same thing.

And if you are not really looking and paying attention you dont realize which is one is which.

In the grand scheme of things I get the lawsuit, but it also feels like kind of a frivolous reason to sue someone too.

Yeah, the lawsuit is about extracting a nuisance settlement. The only (potential) winners are the plaintiff lawyers.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Can we throw Templeton Rye on that suit? Don’t they put crap in to make a certain flavor?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There are actually a wave of these “false advertising” lawsuits happening now. Law firms are filing class action lawsuits hoping brands will settle rather than fight it. This lawsuit is following the same playbook it looks like.

https://reason.com/2022/10/20/texas...ing-trend-of-cynical-false-labeling-lawsuits/

Ya this was totally a frivolous lawsuit to make a quick buck.

When I first read this I thought it was going to say the shooters contained no alcohol. That would have been much funnier.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I would rather listen to "Fireball" on a continuous loop than drink that cinnamon swill.

Like, MUCH rather.
Back when Pitbull was all over TV promoting various products, my son and I thought he was missing out by not creating a trendy concoction from all his popular commercials/songs.

Just mix up some Bud Light, Dr Pepper, and Fireball. Call it a “Pitbull.”

Then probably have your stomach pumped. :p

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Back when Pitbull was all over TV promoting various products, my son and I thought he was missing out by not creating a trendy concoction from all his popular commercials/songs.

Now that's an idea we would have totally tried out in college!

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Not sure that's any worse than the Jagerbombs I did in college. Holy crap was I stupid.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The only time I ever have fireball is when I'm already intoxicated and someone else starts pouring shots of it, and I always regret it.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Class action lawsuits are such bull ****. Just a way for lawyers to make a **** ton of money, while the rest of us get a $5.00 check.