Fireball Whiskey Lawsuit

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not a big Fireball fan myself, but I know it's a popular tailgate drink so something to consider next time you buy those mini bottles of Fireball to sneak into the game.

• Wow
Reactions: BACyclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Do they do that in Iowa since they can sell high alcohol content in gas stations?
That's a good point. I have no idea.

Edit:It says Iowa residents specifically can be included in the class action suit, so I'm guessing they sell it in at least some locations in the state.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone buying shooters of fireball actually care if it contains actual whiskey? I don't think that's high on the list of most people buying shooters. Let's be honest, people are just wanting cinnamon alcohol...

I do understand that entire labeling/fraud principle though.
It's not mis-labeled. I see how it could be confusing, but not sure it's fraud. As Sousaclone said, the number of buyers who cared is probably zero. Legally, I think it will be very hard to demonstrate damages.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
It's not mis-labeled. I see how it could be confusing, but not sure it's fraud. As Sousaclone said, the number of buyers who cared is probably zero. Legally, I think it will be very hard to demonstrate damages.
Yeah, I saw this pop up last week and my first thought was if you cannot see the difference between labels reading "Cinnamon Whiskey" and "Cinnamon" with Malt Beverage below it that's on you.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Yeah, looking at the article, I don't think it's mis-labeled either. Incredibly close labels that were definetly a conscious decision to make them appear as similar as possible? Yeah. But I'd have a hard time calling it actual fraud.

I do understand why they at least have to make a little bit of a stink about it.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Yeah, I saw this pop up last week and my first thought was if you cannot see the difference between labels reading "Cinnamon Whiskey" and "Cinnamon" with Malt Beverage below it that's on you.
I don’t think it says “malt beverage” below it; it just says cinnamon.

The other issue had to do with language on the back about flavors. The product description says “malt beverage with natural whisky & other flavors.” Fireball is saying that means natural whisky flavors (but not actual whisky) and other flavors, but the much more natural reading of that (and what I think was intended) was that you’d think there was whisky in it along with natural flavors

Reactions: Farnsworth

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Yeah, looking at the article, I don't think it's mis-labeled either. Incredibly close labels that were definetly a conscious decision to make them appear as similar as possible? Yeah. But I'd have a hard time calling it actual fraud.

I do understand why they at least have to make a little bit of a stink about it.
If we were talking about baby food and deliberate labelling questions then there might be a problem.

This is crappy liquor we are talking about. It would be like saying my brand of cigarettes is deliberately misleading me into spending my money.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
If you are such a whiskey connoisseur that it matters then you probably aren't buying shooters of Fireball.