2023 Oscar Nominations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As in movies what everyone was saying 'ohhhhh, this is gonna be an awards contender for sure...' but then nothing happened?

Babylon
Armageddon Time
Empire of Light
Amsterdam
White Noise

Babylon and Amsterdam seems like very strong contenders there.

Hollywood *loves* movies about Hollywood. Meta films like these...

Sunset Boulevard
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
The Artist
L.A. Confidential
Mulholland Drive
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
La La Land

Babylon
being more-or-less immediately forgotten is odd given that fact.

Some films might flop at the box office but gain some long-term notoriety based on awards season, either giving them a short-term second wind or a long-term legacy where people keep coming back to them because Wikipedia said it won some awards. Doubling insulting to have no life and no afterlife.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood....so true. Hyper-narcissism. It is like an annual battle between the Hollywood homages and the movies with fancy, sophisticated british accents that impress so easily.
Cecil B. Demille lifetime Acheivement award has to be Jeffery Epstein posthumously...presented by Tom Hanks.
Rust should be in contention for best actor nominee.

I certainly do not know what is going on in media or who is pulling strings....but a motion picture award show recognizing...oh, I don't know, maybe the amazing production value of Top Gun Maverick would rate higher than most Bachelor or Masked Dancer episodes.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Babylon and Amsterdam seems like very strong contenders there.

Hollywood *loves* movies about Hollywood. Meta films like these...

Sunset Boulevard
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
The Artist
L.A. Confidential
Mulholland Drive
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
La La Land

Babylon
being more-or-less immediately forgotten is odd given that fact.

Some films might flop at the box office but gain some long-term notoriety based on awards season, either giving them a short-term second wind or a long-term legacy where people keep coming back to them because Wikipedia said it won some awards. Doubling insulting to have no life and no afterlife.

I haven't been to the theatres in forever like a lot of people, but I ended up going for a date to see Babylon. Woof.

I'm going for Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. I thought that was a great movie, only thing I'd change is the hotdog part, that was a little too much.

• Love
Reactions: dahliaclone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I haven't been to the theatres in forever like a lot of people, but I ended up going for a date to see Babylon. Woof.

I'm going for Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. I thought that was a great movie, only thing I'd change is the hotdog part, that was a little too much.
Hotdog fingers! Playing piano with your feet! That’s gold, Jerry, gold!

Reactions: dahliaclone

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Just watched The Banshees of inisherin. Boring AF.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Finally got around to Elvis last night. Wife and I both thought, hey, we’ll start it at least, watch a little bit until we get bored, catch the rest later.

But dang it if Baz Luhrmann’s colorful, frenetic, nonstop style didn‘t suck us in, along with a terrific performance by Austin Butler, and we were along for the ride of the whole thing. It’s not perfect, but it’s good, and my wife is now convinced Butler is a lock for Best Actor (even though this is the only nominated performance we’ve seen so far).

It’s too long, it makes some odd choices on what parts of Elvis’ life to focus on and wgat parts to ignore, the decision to make it about Colonel Tom as much as it is about Elvis is questionable - it’s not winning Best Picture. But it’s better than I expected. I didn’t even think Hanks’ performance was bad! He actually did a decent job in the role - it’s just so unlike “Tom Hanks” visually and character-wise that I can see people getting turned off by that. Colonel Tom was an a-hole.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Sounds like I’m in the minority but Everything Everywhere never grabbed me. Wife and I stopped watching 2/3 of the way through.
All Quiet was excellent.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have seen “The Banshee’s of Inisherin” and “All Quiet On The Western Front” of the nominated movies. Banshees was good, probably be even better after a second watch (just like “In Bruges” was), but All Quiet imo, is a top 5 war movie ever made. I’ve never seen the original though. The story telling is phenomenal. I need to read the book, but the movie is just masterful story telling and a must see for everyone. It truly depicts the complete unnecessary reasoning and horrors of war.
I would definitely read the book. I don’t think seeing the movie will lessen the book at all.

I think All Quiet was a great movie, but personally I preferred 1917.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would definitely read the book. I don’t think seeing the movie will lessen the book at all.

I think All Quiet was a great movie, but personally I preferred 1917.
1917 was impressive and the continuous filming was striking and novel, but it didn't leave a lasting impression on my emotions in the way that I think a great war movie should.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Finally saw All Quiet tonight. It's hard to describe my thoughts on that one. A powerful portrayal of the senselessness of war that leaves you a bit speechless to convey the feelings. Disgust. Sadness. Anger. Coupled with the knowledge that we have learned and changed little in a hundred years of "advancement".

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
1917 was impressive and the continuous filming was striking and novel, but it didn't leave a lasting impression on my emotions in the way that I think a great war movie should.
I thought 1917 was ok but forgettable honestly. Dunkirk to me was 100x better.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Sounds like I’m in the minority but Everything Everywhere never grabbed me. Wife and I stopped watching 2/3 of the way through.
All Quiet was excellent.

I don’t blame you at all for this. It is a very strange and off-putting film for most “conventional” movie-goers. My parents usually try to watch all the Best Picture noms after the Oscars come and go, but I will be telling them to stay the hell away from this one.

That said, I found it to be a profoundly affecting film once you get past the absurdity of it all and accept it for what it is.

But then… if I’m too afraid to recommend this movie to my parents, I’m betraying the core message of this film. … damn.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I prefer my Brendan Fraser in caveman archetype he pioneered. Blast from the Past is his best performance and it's actually a very good film. Also my favorite Christopher Walken.

"Oh Adam, it would be wonderful if you could meet a girl. One who's not a mutant and hopefully comes from Pasadena."

Never cared for him as Indy Jones type, give me the awkward caveman guys.
Then you must have been a fan of Bedazzled. :)