2023 Oscar Nominations

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There is a magic to capturing something “real” in a lens that still can’t be recreated with green screen. Maverick was such a wild ride because the action seems real, you are there. The original 80s Top Gun used great real footage but when watching it now you’re constantly aware it’s edited footage. Maverick looks real (because it mostly is real) and you feel like you’re in the aircraft because the tech to shoot a hi res film has gotten so small. I could watch behind the scenes stuff for Maverick or Fury Road all day, it’s nuts what they did.

Maverick's aerial director also did Devotion. Highly suggest that one as well. He was at Airventure last summer and showed some clips. Mentioned how they had issues at first getting the belly shots as the lens would get covered in oil from engine. They ended up buying dog bowls and rigging a contraption with a line to the cockpit so when they wanted to actually get video the pilot would pull the string, the bowl that was protecting the lens from the oil would fall away and they would get the clear images they needed.

Reactions: Angie and HFCS

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have seen “The Banshee’s of Inisherin” and “All Quiet On The Western Front” of the nominated movies. Banshees was good, probably be even better after a second watch (just like “In Bruges” was), but All Quiet imo, is a top 5 war movie ever made. I’ve never seen the original though. The story telling is phenomenal. I need to read the book, but the movie is just masterful story telling and a must see for everyone. It truly depicts the complete unnecessary reasoning and horrors of war.
Definitely not movies that leave you feeling happy, but excellently done.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Brendan Fraser will win Best Actor. Lock it in right now. Incredible Hollywood career arc.
He's not a slam dunk by any means. I would put Farrell ahead of him and possibly Butler. I would vote for Fraser but he has been in this 'it's his time' 'what a great story and comeback' and 'what a performance' loop for months...and he's not winning the big awards so far. Doesn't mean he can't win the Oscar. I personally don't think he will.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As usual, there were some shocks and snubs in major categories. Overall, I like the noms but honestly, I thought this year was just 'ok' with great movies.

I LOVE all the adoration for Everything Everywhere All At Once. We saw it way back in May I think and knew it was going to be up for a ton of awards. Ke Huy Quan is a lock to win supporting actor and I find that to be just the most awesome of things. I grew up loving him as Data and Shortround. Just a good comeback story. I think Yeoh wins too but could go to Cate the Great in Tar.

No one has heard of the movie Causeway but Brian Tyree Henry getting a nomination is glorious.

Andrea Riseborough's campaign is going to be talked about for years. She literally didn't get nominated in ANY other group like the BAFTAS or Golden Globes or SAG the entire year but got nominated for Best Actress for the biggest...the Oscar. This campaign was all ground support and word of mouth from major celebrities. Cate Blanchett and others wouldn't stop saying how Andrea's performance isn't just one of the best of the year but of all time. She just kept gaining more steam and she made the cut. Fascinating story. Movie looks great too.

The riseborough nom is bizarre. Who has even see the movie? For the record I loved her in ZeroZeroZero so it’s nothing personal.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
He's not a slam dunk by any means. I would put Farrell ahead of him and possibly Butler. I would vote for Fraser but he has been in this 'it's his time' 'what a great story and comeback' and 'what a performance' loop for months...and he's not winning the big awards so far. Doesn't mean he can't win the Oscar. I personally don't think he will.
He wasn’t going to win the golden globe no matter what after what the Hollywood Foreign Press did to him. I’m looking forward to watching “The Whale” soon to see his performance.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wish they'd add a sarcastic award for --

"Oscar-bait film that failed to garner any interest from the Oscars"

• Love
Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
He wasn’t going to win the golden globe no matter what after what the Hollywood Foreign Press did to him. I’m looking forward to watching “The Whale” soon to see his performance.
he's great. so are sink and chau. but movie overall is just ok.

i thought the same with Banshees. I liked it, didn't love it. Acting is phenomenal and if any of them win it's deserved. but i don't get the fuss of all the awards.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I prefer my Brendan Fraser in caveman archetype he pioneered. Blast from the Past is his best performance and it's actually a very good film. Also my favorite Christopher Walken.

"Oh Adam, it would be wonderful if you could meet a girl. One who's not a mutant and hopefully comes from Pasadena."

Never cared for him as Indy Jones type, give me the awkward caveman guys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron