Penn State dual preview

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Which is most PSU fans since the sport was only invented about 10 years ago
You see that twitter thread about someone talking about who would be the blue bloods of wrestling? Wrestling nomad drops Iowa, OkSt and PSU. Then goes onto say PSU wasn't a blue blood until 2007 LOL.

Cyfan2901

Dec 18, 2022
You see that twitter thread about someone talking about who would be the blue bloods of wrestling? Wrestling nomad drops Iowa, OkSt and PSU. Then goes onto say PSU wasn't a blue blood until 2007 LOL.
I was looking at their history last night. About half of individual champs are from the past decade. Goes to show what you can do when you fully invest in a sport.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I was looking at their history last night. About half of individual champs are from the past decade. Goes to show what you can do when you fully invest in a sport.
100% their last decade is the definition of a Dynasty. Unreal to watch. The crazy part about their run is how different they went about it then when Iowa was on their dynasty run. Not saying PSU guys aren't bad bad men on the mat but they wrestle with such calmness. Iowa when they were on their run it was smash mouth punch you in the face over and over again

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It sucks that he's doing it at Penn State, and obviously I'd prefer ISU run off 5 or 6 championships, but I'd take some pleasure in Cael winning 16 titles and besting Gable again.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
100% their last decade is the definition of a Dynasty. Unreal to watch. The crazy part about their run is how different they went about it then when Iowa was on their dynasty run. Not saying PSU guys aren't bad bad men on the mat but they wrestle with such calmness. Iowa when they were on their run it was smash mouth punch you in the face over and over again
I was too young to watch Iowa's dynasty closely, but it seems like the athleticism and skill level has jumped quite a bit since those years. You can't beat people with intimidation, conditioning, and a straight ahead style now. Penn State, more than anything, has had a ton of talent, and they are comfortable wrestling a variety of styles.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
There is a link to Nate Carr's audio broadcast of tonight around here somewhere. I am sure someone will post it. That way we don't have to listen to the bad guys radio people.
I have been listening in on the Varsity App for a lot of the Cyclone stuff. Love to hear Nate over most of those other guys. Unfiltered and with great background. It is so pure Nate.

Cytasticlone

Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Don't make fun of new fans and expect them to become old/supporting fans. It would be helpful to post rules and explanation, even videos, to help understand the ever evolving rules which might explain what happened.
Do these "101" videos exist anywhere already? Maybe a Youtuber I should check out? I've slowly pickup up some things the past few years but would love some more in depth info/analysis/explainers. I get team and match scoring and what a basic takedown is, but i'm still foggy thinks like the actual takedown criteria. One example I would like explained is when someone's in on a shot and it seems like nothing has changed, but they indicate a takedown. Have they worked further up on the bottom wrestler or gained control somehow that I'm not seeing? Demo videos of some of those scenarios would be great to see.

Reactions: stuclone

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Do these "101" videos exist anywhere already? Maybe a Youtuber I should check out? I've slowly pickup up some things the past few years but would love some more in depth info/analysis/explainers. I get team and match scoring and what a basic takedown is, but i'm still foggy thinks like the actual takedown criteria. One example I would like explained is when someone's in on a shot and it seems like nothing has changed, but they indicate a takedown. Have they worked further up on the bottom wrestler or gained control somehow that I'm not seeing? Demo videos of some of those scenarios would be great to see.
101 is don't ever listen to a hawkeye fan that says something is stalling ;) But on a serious note I'll for sure do some digging on YouTube to find you some videos. Honestly, with how questionable somethings are now it is confusing for experienced fans to know.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
I was too young to watch Iowa's dynasty closely, but it seems like the athleticism and skill level has jumped quite a bit since those years. You can't beat people with intimidation, conditioning, and a straight ahead style now. Penn State, more than anything, has had a ton of talent, and they are comfortable wrestling a variety of styles.
When periods went to 3 -2-2 minutes instead of 3-3-3, that took conditioning out the door as an Iowa advantage.

That and I was watching some Bruce Baumgartner matches a few months ago, and how the refs called stalling was no joke back then. In 1982 Real Woods would have been dq'd wrestling on top of Swiderski like that.

Cyfan2901

Dec 18, 2022
When periods went to 3 -2-2 minutes instead of 3-3-3, that took conditioning out the door as an Iowa advantage.

That and I was watching some Bruce Baumgartner matches a few months ago, and how the refs called stalling was no joke back then. In 1982 Real Woods would have been dq'd wrestling on top of Swiderski like that.
That Real Woods match was so frustrating. Casey got a stalling call 2nd period. Then the 30 seconds or so of the 3rd Woods is dancing away from him the entire time. Makes no sense

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yonger gets to Deans leg tomorrow and it has to feel like lifting a fly after what he just went through
Yonger definitely needs to come out with his hair on fire. Getting up 2-0, 4-1, or better in the first makes it a lot harder for opponents to choose up if they get the option in the second.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017

Also, if an ISU guy rode out a hok like that without any real indication to turn him, the booing would've been deafening.

Reactions: jdolson27

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Every team is a reflection of its coach. Every team.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
That Real Woods match was so frustrating. Casey got a stalling call 2nd period. Then the 30 seconds or so of the 3rd Woods is dancing away from him the entire time. Makes no sense
A few years ago I felt like the overuse of stall tactics was killing the sport. Its gotten somewhat better, but still room for improvement. It also used to be that some styles (Iowa, mostly) were mostly about locking up and pushing opponents off the mat, which can be little better than stalling.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A few years ago I felt like the overuse of stall tactics was killing the sport. Its gotten somewhat better, but still room for improvement. It also used to be that some styles (Iowa, mostly) were mostly about locking up and pushing opponents off the mat, which can be little better than stalling.
It can also be dangerous when you repeatedly lock someone up and push them off the mat. Getting a little momentum with a little heel trip and taking them forcefully to their back off the edge can result in the head coming down on the hard surface off the edge of the mat. This can be bad on a underlying wood floor and catastrophic on concrete.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
I'm not sure if all of the duals have to start at 125 but I think it'd be cool to start at 157 and end with Paniro v SVN or start at 285 and end at 197 with Bastida v Dean