***Official 2022 World Cup Thread***

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
To be fair... that's better quality than it was 20 years ago.
Yes, it is definitely.

IMHO MLS actually should have followed J-League model.

When J-League was founded they purposedly signed players who were also good “teachers”, not just aging superstars. They ended up signing Zico, Pierre Littbarski, etc who were excellent teachers for Japanese players. Same with the coaches they hired.

MLS chose (and until recently, still choose) the glam route without looking at the knowledge transfer aspect. They ended up with Lothat Matthaeus, Stevie Gerrard , Rafael Marquez and Frank Lampard.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
D2bymjaWsAAWsUT.png

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Poland opened employing the "angry swarm" mentality. France handled it and has responded with a "Hey, have you seen how fast we are?" attitude.

This one looks to be fun.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Mbape basically answers the question of “what if all the wide receivers in football grew up playing soccer instead of football”

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Stupid sexy Giroud, it must be nice to have a person that just wants to score goals.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Long term, I think it would greatly benefit US soccer if they went forward with a relegation system similar to the rest of the world. It probably will never happen as MLS owners have put too much money into growing the league and they don’t want to risk losing money.

Having multiple tiers would allow for additional professional teams across the country. The potential to get to the top league would make it easier for the cities to get behind their teams and support them, consequently getting more people involved and caring about soccer etc.

Imagine if places like DSM, Omaha, Milwaukee, and on and on had professional teams that had a chance to make it to the MLS.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Long term, I think it would greatly benefit US soccer if they went forward with a relegation system similar to the rest of the world. It probably will never happen as MLS owners have put too much money into growing the league and they don’t want to risk losing money.

Having multiple tiers would allow for additional professional teams across the country. The potential to get to the top league would make it easier for the cities to get behind their teams and support them, consequently getting more people involved and caring about soccer etc.

Imagine if places like DSM, Omaha, Milwaukee, and on and on had professional teams that had a chance to make it to the MLS.

I don’t quite understand the soccer system. I think what would really help is if we could get a premier league team in America. Like a New York team. And if they get relegated they go back into MLS with a way to qualify. I know it will never happen. Just think it would be cool

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I'd love the idea, but I don't think there's enough money (or talent, currently) to support another level of soccer in the US below the MLS. Between college and pro sports, our sports fans are already stretched to the point of dwindling attendance in some areas.

MLS is getting better, but the talent overall is a pretty large step down from most country's systems. While the support has been growing, we still have a significant portion of our population that will always be rooting against the sport's success.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I'd love the idea, but I don't think there's enough money (or talent, currently) to support another level of soccer in the US below the MLS. Between college and pro sports, our sports fans are already stretched to the point of dwindling attendance in some areas.

MLS is getting better, but the talent overall is a pretty large step down from most country's systems. While the support has been growing, we still have a significant portion of our population that will always be rooting against the sport's success.
Good points

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron