Tre King Differentiator?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It would be really helpful if he could play the wing some because we aren't getting enough consistency from Gabe and Caleb.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
If he can be what Hassan Ward has been with a jumper. I think this team could go places. Ward has been excellent in passing lanes and rebounding. Just hard to keep him on the floor with 2 pieces that won't even look at the rim from beyond the arc.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Plus let's remember that he has been practicing with this team for over a year. He should be well versed in the defense as well as offense. Not to mention has been coached by this group that helped make Bob Jones a serviceable piece this year. I am so stinking pumped for his debut.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It would be really helpful if he could play the wing some because we aren't getting enough consistency from Gabe and Caleb.
I don't worry about the defensive side at all.

But offensively, against good teams (top 30) we need a 2nd guy who can score (usually from outside). Brockington usually got his, but in the biggest wins last year, there was always someone who went off (Gabe vs Texas, Wisky and Memphis, Hunter vs LSU).

If King can be a guy who can score 20 on nights when Grill & Gabe are having an off night shooting (which is often) then that's a big deal.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I’ve heard Ward’s game isn’t going to translate against P5. Hopefully, Tre King can be that guy in his place.
Man, I really liked watching Ward 'defend' so far. But it appears at least that he's not a scoring threat whatsoever other than a dunk. Bummer. Any chance we can get a 'shooter' to transfer in by semester? Just kidding. ( Pretty scary tho in the UConn game when Holmes, Gabe, and Grill are all in foul trouble or ineffective shooting.)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Man, I really liked watching Ward 'defend' so far. But it appears at least that he's not a scoring threat whatsoever other than a dunk. Bummer. Any chance we can get a 'shooter' to transfer in by semester? Just kidding. ( Pretty scary tho in the UConn game when Holmes, Gabe, and Grill are all in foul trouble or ineffective shooting.)
Bummer? What were you expecting?

Reactions: CyPunch

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Ward just needs to embrace the role of garbage man on offense. Go get that rebound and put back. To be fair, his play has led to quite a few baskets when he extends possessions with tip outs.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think Ward just needs to embrace the role of garbage man on offense. Go get that rebound and put back. To be fair, his play has led to quite a few baskets when he extends possessions with tip outs.

Every team needs that guy - come in, bust your butt on defense, hit the floor a couple times, grab a few rebounds, get a lay-up or a putback. And give the starters a rest. If that's your 7th or 8th guy... that's a luxury. And even more critical on a team that plays Otzball.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Can he grab 10 offensive boards and hit 4 or 5 three's a game? Because that's Four Four type of team right there :jimlad:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Tre's addition does intrigue but hard to say he's a "Differentiator" after not playing college for almost 2 years. Adding another Big Wing who can interchange multiple positions to this defense will only help with the style ISU plays. Plus as other noted, unlike most transfers Tre's been in the system for a long time and the coaches should have a plan to maximize his skills.
To be a difference maker he would need to shoot well from outside to help the spacing. Honestly if any player could be that threat he would be the "Differentiator" to make this a second week NCAA team. I am still intrigued if Eli will get some run later in the year and be that shooter too. One of the King's could be the difference in March.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I guess I am expecting kind of an undersized 4 that can hit a jumper. Maybe something like Watson with a little more size to him and less perimeter skill. Not exactly what we need, but he can't hurt. I'd love to have a really good wing sitting out right now.
IMO Tre King was exactly what we needed vs. UConn.

Adding Tre King will give the Clones a lot of lineup flexibility to go big or have a slasher/athletic PF. He seems like the mirror opposite of Kunc as far as his offensive game goes.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I am very intrigued by what he can bring. I am not expecting much but I hope I am wrong.
It is too bad they don't have a sharpshooting SG ready to join the team at break.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Jaz and Tre fit in that wing position, so I kind of see it as Osi/Robert/Hason in the 4/5 with Jaz/Tre filling in as the depth while also filling the 3 spot along with Watson. That allows for our thin spot at 1 and 2 guard minutes to be Jaren/Tamin and Gabe/Caleb respectively. Basically 4 to fill 2 spots and 6 to fill 3.

I feel pretty good about our ability to be aggressive with that setup

Reactions: CycloneErik