Outgoing transfer tracker

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Rus had absolutely horrific PFF grades. I'm not saying they're gospel, but it lined up with what I saw him actually do. I would rather have gone 3 or 4 wide far more often (just an offensive philosophy thing for me) than have Rus in, but if we're insisting on playing a full back all the time (very few teams actually do this from what I can tell) then at least get one that does it well.
PFF also had Breece Hall ranked poorly and Deuce Vaughn as the second coming of Jesus. Rus was a first team all big 12 guys last year

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
The problem is we didn't just use him as a lead blocker. We tried to use him in the passing game with No success. And his lead blocking didn't really help much on all those short yardage situations we failed in.

Imo it would have been better to spread the field with another more athletic receiver rather than clogging the box.
He had as many receptions this year as he did last year, during his first team all big 12 year lmao. Same success as last year!

In college football you have to be able to run the ball, and when our line is as bad as they are, how would a more athletic receiver help? Especially when you have a QB who can’t throw it to the guys wearing the same uniform as him

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Agree with this. I really think Silas will do well somewhere and believe depth is important, but backups are gonna churn in college football fairly often now.

Getting a Hall or Montgomery is a tough ask though. Both guys have been starting running backs in the NFL already, one of which was most comparable as a prospect to Saquon Barkley or Jonathan Taylor.

Need to find a way to be competent on offense without a future NFL stud.
How about finding guys that turn into NFL offensive linemen!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
In this era, expect about 8-10 to leave. Mostly upperclassmen who want to get on the field. The key is not losing your best guys - that is where NIL comes into play.
Agree, but I think our number will be 12-15.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A healthy Brock should be the starter until proven otherwise. A lot went downhill after he got dinged up. Norton has a lot of potential but Brock is a every down back.
Montgomery and Hall - big time power runners that made the right cut, and would wait, depending on where the blocking was. None of our current backs have that skill - I know coaches continue to preach this. Norton can learn this - not sure about Brock.

In defense of JB and CN, our line blocking was awful this year.

Reactions: robahrens

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
A healthy Brock should be the starter until proven otherwise. A lot went downhill after he got dinged up. Norton has a lot of potential but Brock is a every down back.
I think Brock is a 3rd down back or backup at this level. Need Norton or someone else to be the guy.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
A healthy Brock should be the starter until proven otherwise. A lot went downhill after he got dinged up. Norton has a lot of potential but Brock is an every down back.
A lot went down hill too because Brock is a much better pass blocker and receiver than any of the other backs. Norton is a good runner but still has a ways to go in terms of blocking and receiving.

Reactions: BCClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the issue with Silas was much less his size but his ability to run to where the play was blocked.
That and he seemed to struggle as a receiver. I think in ISU offense if a guy isn't going to be the #1 back he needs to be able to catch the ball and pass protect.

• Agree
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
PFF also had Breece Hall ranked poorly and Deuce Vaughn as the second coming of Jesus. Rus was a first team all big 12 guys last year
We're probably gonna have to agree to disagree on that, but Rus repeatedly missed one on one blocks and was a negative in the passing game, too.

Nothing wrong with having a lead blocker at times, but you have to have the lead blocker actually block.

And I take post season conference awards for a fullback in the B12 even less seriously than I take PFF grades.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A lot went down hill too because Brock is a much better pass blocker and receiver than any of the other backs. Norton is a good runner but still has a ways to go in terms of blocking and receiving.
Jirehl has been an elite pass blocker since the beginning. I remember watching him when he got in there on 3rd and longs his first season literally drop blitzing LBs. He’s a lot tougher than what people probably give him credit for.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We're probably gonna have to agree to disagree on that, but Rus repeatedly missed one on one blocks and was a negative in the passing game, too.

Nothing wrong with having a lead blocker at times, but you have to have the lead blocker actually block.

And I take post season conference awards for a fullback in the B12 even less seriously than I take PFF grades.
I thought Rus was solid in 2020 & 2021. This year I don't think his play was as good.

But did Rus regress or did teams have to years of tape two know our tendencies?

Reactions: khardbored

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Brock and Norton, if healthy would take 75%+ of the 2023 carries. Not shocked about Silas. He'd do great in the Fun Belt.

Sanders seems like such an underutilized weapon.. Fast and good hands. Throwing to a RB out of the backfield can be such a weapon against all the deep zone coverages we see. Modern football is putting athletes in space and letting them make plays for you.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Do you know something I don’t know? I figured Norton would be #1 or #2 next year.
Norton is probably 1A and Brock 1B for Spring, my error. Norton moves a pile forward always which I love, not a burner though. That's why I think i'd like to keep Sanders.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022

Would have liked to see us go with more 3 WR/1 TE or 4 WR sets with X, Noel, Stanley, and Hannika out wide. Feel like that gives us more opportunity to move the ball rather than having Rus, Dean and Klotz out there.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Brock and Norton, if healthy would take 75%+ of the 2023 carries. Not shocked about Silas. He'd do great in the Fun Belt.

Sanders seems like such an underutilized weapon.. Fast and good hands. Throwing to a RB out of the backfield can be such a weapon against all the deep zone coverages we see. Modern football is putting athletes in space and letting them make plays for you.
Screen passes to Sanders versus running into a clogged box behind Rus. Yeah that would have worked better in hindsight this year. Manning deserves the heat bc he continued to try what didn't work.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10