Game Length

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
We’ve gone this far and we have yet to say minimize stoppage due to reviews, shorten time allowed for reviews.

Yep, there's a lot they could do with replay that would shave time off each game.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm very sad as a long time lover of college football that I am more and more gravitating towards favoring NFL. Game time tonight was not much over three hours and that was with probably a 10+ minute break for the Tua injury. NFL is so much more dialed in on what fans want than the NCAA but it'll never change

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Just out of curiosity, I tracked Vikings/Bears today.

2:30 media timeout after every possession, with two exceptions -- late in the 2nd qtr (one play after the 2-minute earning), and late in the 4th (on the last turnover).

With quarter breaks, that's 18 timeouts of 2:30 each for a total of 45 minutes, plus a 13-minute halftime (for a total of 58 minutes). They also did two split-screen :30 breaks on team timeouts.

Big 12 games have 16 breaks that total somewhere around 50 minutes, plus a 20-minute halftime (for a total of 70 minutes).

That 12-minute difference just in media breaks and halftime makes up most of the difference between college and NFL game length.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Media time outs were ridiculous last night, cut them back to at least 2 minutes. Or as daughter suggested have them have a commercial box while the game is on. Lost track of how many media time outs were in the second half.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The lack of scoring helped keep the game moving. But yes, it was annoying looking down on the field and always seeing 2:55 on the media TO clock.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The ref last night was winding the play clock several times with around 10 seconds still on the timeout clock.
I don't remember which game it was but the ref was not only not waiting for the chains to move before starting the game clock after a first down, he wasn't even waiting for the ball to be placed - starting the game clock anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds before the ball was set and the ref was out of the way.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The lack of scoring helped keep the game moving. But yes, it was annoying looking down on the field and always seeing 2:55 on the media TO clock.
That’s what pays for the increased TV contracts. I’ll bet the Big whatever will have even longer delays to annoy the drunks in Iowa city.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't remember which game it was but the ref was not only not waiting for the chains to move before starting the game clock after a first down, he wasn't even waiting for the ball to be placed - starting the game clock anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds before the ball was set and the ref was out of the way.

I've noticed that becoming more common in the Big 12, but more so on OB plays than first downs.

With some crews, the clock barely stops.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Clock rules may be changing:

Dumb. Decrease the length of games by eliminating or shortening TV timeouts or halftime. This is just reducing the amount of actual football people get to watch. I'm guessing they'll cut out 5-10 minutes, then replace it with 5-10 minutes of more ads.

This is why the NFL is king. The games actually start when they say they're going to start (outside of the Super Bowl) and pretty much end when you expect them to.

Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I think 2 and three are solid. 3 will speed it up the most. There isn't much icing the kicker with double TOs so that would not do a whole lot. The negative of this is, if they don't cut the length of the TV timeouts, they will make the TV ones seem even longer yet. An easy thing I think they they could do, is anytime there is an injury staff takes the field, it's an immediate 2-3 minute TV timeout. That would do quite a bit along doing that with all reviews because they never finish those within a couple minutes.

• Agree

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Let's not address the 45+ minutes of media timeouts per game. No, no, no -- the game is too long because the clocks stops for 4 seconds on first downs. It also barely stops on OB plays, even.

• Winner