Game Length

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dumb. Decrease the length of games by eliminating or shortening TV timeouts or halftime. This is just reducing the amount of actual football people get to watch. I'm guessing they'll cut out 5-10 minutes, then replace it with 5-10 minutes of more ads.

This is why the NFL is king. The games actually start when they say they're going to start (outside of the Super Bowl) and pretty much end when you expect them to.
And they have these same rules. Not sure why you think these are dumb but then champion the NFL.

Reactions: PSYclone22

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Dumb. Decrease the length of games by eliminating or shortening TV timeouts or halftime. This is just reducing the amount of actual football people get to watch. I'm guessing they'll cut out 5-10 minutes, then replace it with 5-10 minutes of more ads.

This is why the NFL is king. The games actually start when they say they're going to start (outside of the Super Bowl) and pretty much end when you expect them to.
College teams run 7 offensive more plays per game than NFL teams, this would probably line things up well.

Reactions: isutrevman

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
From the article:

"College football conducted a field study last season to ascertain the impact of the proposed changes. A running clock after a first down would eliminate about seven to nine plays per game. A running clock after an incomplete pass could eliminate more than twice that number."

The average FBS football game last season stretched 3 hours and 21 minutes, a slight increase from the year before (3:18) and five minutes longer than the 2018 average of 3:16.

YearAverage Game Duration (FBS)
20183:16
20193:16
20203:21
20213:18
20223:21

"That well eclipses the NFL’s average, which normally hovers around 3 hours, 10 minutes. Game lengths in the NFL are much more consistent than college, which can vary greatly and include some four-hour affairs. About one-fifth of FBS games this past year went longer than three and a half hours."

Was surprised by this (and wonder if this stat is truly correct):

"Television commercials don’t impact game time significantly. From 2018-2020, games not televised finished only about two minutes sooner than those televised."

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
These new TV contracts are going to have to sell a ton of ad time to pay schools like Iowa for their over-valued worth. So more and longer timeouts to sell ED meds and crop herbicides.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know this is a thread resurrection but I really wish college basketball had 12 minute quarters and 6 fouls like NBA. That would screw up all time stat records even more than the covid year already has so I'd settle for what they are doing in the womens game with four 10 minute quarters. The other compromise should be overtime gets you a 6th foul.

Our game against WVU where the officials decided to foul out our entire team but not WVU would have basically been an automatic loss if the game was tied.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Why do people want to shorten games? Hell, we spend all day and sometimes into the evening enjoying a handful of wonderful fall days at Jack Trice. Anyone who is bored or unsatisfied with the game is free to get up and leave whenever they want. As for me, the games are too short. Let’s add another quarter.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Why do people want to shorten games? Hell, we spend all day and sometimes into the evening enjoying a handful of wonderful fall days at Jack Trice. Anyone who is bored or unsatisfied with the game is free to get up and leave whenever they want. As for me, the games are too short. Let’s add another quarter.
That's all fine and good, but if they add another quarter then it won't be a quarter, it will be a fifth. Not that I mind a fifth on game days now and then...

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
And they have these same rules. Not sure why you think these are dumb but then champion the NFL.
The NFL does not keep the clock running on incomplete passes. CFB just needs to do things the exact same way as NFL does when it comes to the clock. TV timeouts and the length of halftime are the biggest difference between the two

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am in the camp that would like to see 3 hour football games and 2 hour basketball games.

But I don't like the idea of fewer plays/less action. I realize part of the reason is fewer plays means fewer hits a player takes. Maybe the right approach with CTE concerns.

One change I would have liked to seen, along with those proposed, was reduce the play clock from 40 seconds to 35 seconds.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I don't think most people have an issue with the game length itself, it's the time of the whole production. The amount of media timeouts and the length of them are getting out of hand, and they are only getting longer.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
(this is maybe already suggested) Reduce the length of commercials, then recoup with split screen punts and maybe kickoffs since many are touch backs anyway. Find out how many kickoffs and punts they average per game and reduce that many 30 second ads. I still find it hard to believe games are only 3:18 long -I wonder what Big 12 games were -ours are definitely closer to 4 hours than 3:15 no?

Reactions: I@ST1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
From the article:

"College football conducted a field study last season to ascertain the impact of the proposed changes. A running clock after a first down would eliminate about seven to nine plays per game. A running clock after an incomplete pass could eliminate more than twice that number."

The average FBS football game last season stretched 3 hours and 21 minutes, a slight increase from the year before (3:18) and five minutes longer than the 2018 average of 3:16.

YearAverage Game Duration (FBS)
20183:16
20193:16
20203:21
20213:18
20223:21

"That well eclipses the NFL’s average, which normally hovers around 3 hours, 10 minutes. Game lengths in the NFL are much more consistent than college, which can vary greatly and include some four-hour affairs. About one-fifth of FBS games this past year went longer than three and a half hours."

Was surprised by this (and wonder if this stat is truly correct):

"Television commercials don’t impact game time significantly. From 2018-2020, games not televised finished only about two minutes sooner than those televised."

From attending ISU games I would call bull on that statement. They are endless. Like BC said above tie those TV time outs to the injury time outs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron