***General Cycling Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Tri cyclist are the most dangerous in any environment....paths, group ride on the road..... whatever, I dont ride with them or near them. If I have to ride with them i let them get way out front and let them stay there. Lastly, their bike handling skills are even worse unless they come from cyclocross or mountain bike background. Theyre dangerous and most have road rash scars to prove my point.
I think the new group of no helmet wearing throttle e-bike riders (often rentals) are now the most dangerous. Most have never ridden and don’t understand etiquette at all, basically riding a moped on the trails. Have been passed by many at full speed on blind curves, while other bikes are coming from other direction, etc.

I want to clarify I’m not talking about riders on pedal assist. Ride with quite a few older riders throughout the year that a pedal assist e-bike has been the greatest thing to keep them riding.

Any person regardless of bike with no etiquette is obviously dangerous.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Tri cyclist are the most dangerous in any environment....paths, group ride on the road..... whatever, I dont ride with them or near them. If I have to ride with them i let them get way out front and let them stay there. Lastly, their bike handling skills are even worse unless they come from cyclocross or mountain bike background. Theyre dangerous and most have road rash scars to prove my point.
Yikes! I’ve ridden a lot of miles with this particular guy, he’s very good on a road bike. It’s not like they’re riding TT bikes around.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
2 people were time trialing down the Great Western trail last night. So frustrating...

One in Aero position wearing a Trek Segafredo jersey with a Specialized TT bike... I was riding with my son on his new road bike and I was on my bagger bike, saw him in my mirror coming and didn't have much time to get out of his way. No on your left, no thank you, just stayed tucked in.

The other one was a female that went flying around me and the oncoming bike yelled at her to slow down.

I guess I don't understand it. There are some decent areas on the south side of Des Moines to go flying down open roads with little traffic, why be an idiot on an open trail that was busy as hell last night. Hell get up early and hit the trail before work.

Mid 20's in a paceline is easy to do. Me and my nephew pulled a line on Ragbrai between the giant slip and slide north of Nemaha to Newell at that speed. I think the 10 miles we averaged 26.2 or so. I'm no racer by any means on a Domane. It's fun. But you need to be very vocal when at the front. I think by the time we hit Newell we had 18 extra people with our group of 4.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
2nd to last day of RAGBRAI one year, riding into Iowa Sh*tty I was told by my friends that I had created a paceline about 50 people long. My only goal was to stay on the front because I wasn't going to tuck in anywhere else

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think the new group of no helmet wearing throttle e-bike riders (often rentals) are now the most dangerous. Most have never ridden and don’t understand etiquette at all, basically riding a moped on the trails. Have been passed by many at full speed on blind curves, while other bikes are coming from other direction, etc.

I want to clarify I’m not talking about riders on pedal assist. Ride with quite a few older riders throughout the year that a pedal assist e-bike has been the greatest thing to keep them riding.

Any person regardless of bike with no etiquette is obviously dangerous.

Lots of the rental scooters on city lake trails. I think they are SUPPOSED to be governored to 12-15 mph but I've had some ether passing me or me passing them that were pushing 20. Probably not a great speed for something that likely doesn't stop that great and in the hands of someone who has likely never even ridden one before.

By scooter I mean these ******* things:

1660072346788.png

Just to be clear, I've no issue with these on busy park trail settings if they are going at 10-12 mph.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Did 12 quick miles last night. Great having more trails completed around Marion.
I usually ride from my house on the NE side to Ely. 35 miles. I pick up the trail by Franklin school and ride by the Mt Mercy complex. With a usual stop at Kickstand. I was the only one there today at 2pm. Haha.

Reactions: wxman1

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
2 people were time trialing down the Great Western trail last night. So frustrating...

One in Aero position wearing a Trek Segafredo jersey with a Specialized TT bike... I was riding with my son on his new road bike and I was on my bagger bike, saw him in my mirror coming and didn't have much time to get out of his way. No on your left, no thank you, just stayed tucked in.

The other one was a female that went flying around me and the oncoming bike yelled at her to slow down.

I guess I don't understand it. There are some decent areas on the south side of Des Moines to go flying down open roads with little traffic, why be an idiot on an open trail that was busy as hell last night. Hell get up early and hit the trail before work.

Mid 20's in a paceline is easy to do. Me and my nephew pulled a line on Ragbrai between the giant slip and slide north of Nemaha to Newell at that speed. I think the 10 miles we averaged 26.2 or so. I'm no racer by any means on a Domane. It's fun. But you need to be very vocal when at the front. I think by the time we hit Newell we had 18 extra people with our group of 4.

Saw the same guy last night as that's where we rode and he was flying thru the trail north of WWP. I tend to ride 15-20mph so I pass people but I always ding my bell and then let them know one more will be passing.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Related note, anyone know if and when they plan to repave the Great Western Trail? That one and the Neil Smith trail are running some kind of competition to be the bumpiest trail.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Related note, anyone know if and when they plan to repave the Great Western Trail? That one and the Neil Smith trail are running some kind of competition to be the bumpiest trail.
Nothing yet. Warren county was sure happy to bend over backwards for Microsoft and the new Veterans Parkway road, but not willing to put anything back into the trail.

When you head south from the Chicken the trail has weeds falling across it along where they took out all the trees for Veterans Parkway. South of Cumming is almost completely unrideable. I haven't yet made my once yearly ride all the way down it for that reason. I got halfway down earlier this year and decided to take gravel.

I'm all about new trails and more trails, but they need to take a break and maintain some around the state.

Look at Cooper to Yale on the Raccoon Trail... Prime example. No one wants to ride up to Jefferson cause that stretch is terrible.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Can you share your Pactimo discount code, or how does that work?
My @ss continues to kill me as soon as I hit 20 miles. Feel like I should finally break down and get some high quality bibs, rather than the cheapo ones off Amazon.
As soon as I have it I will certainly share it!

There's no replacement for good bibs/shorts

Reactions: DSMCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Weird weather here in Mpls. 60's, mostly cloudy with high dew point that feels chilly. Thinking long sleeves for Sunday afternoon ride but will feel dumb if sun actually comes out and temps rise like forecast. Will ponder over more coffee.

Update: Weather was almost perfect! Sun came out, 72 degrees and, shockingly, not windy at all! 38 miles, DND. Butt might be a bit sore since that's a long ride for me. Miller time. Okay, I don't drink Miller but I'll drink something.

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Weird weather here in Mpls. 60's, mostly cloudy with high dew point that feels chilly. Thinking long sleeves for Sunday afternoon ride but will feel dumb if sun actually comes out and temps rise like forecast. Will ponder over more coffee.

Update: Weather was almost perfect! Sun came out, 72 degrees and, shockingly, not windy at all! 38 miles, DND. Butt might be a bit sore since that's a long ride for me. Miller time. Okay, I don't drink Miller but I'll drink something.

Just got to Crosby with plans to hit some red dirt, Mesabi and Paul Bunyan. The temp up here is so nice. Almost forgot how to ride and not be drenched in sweat.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just got to Crosby with plans to hit some red dirt, Mesabi and Paul Bunyan. The temp up here is so nice. Almost forgot how to ride and not be drenched in sweat.

^Truth. Been hot and high dew points here, I'm used to being kinda wiped out after rides. Legs are feelling it some but body doesn't feel so beat. Not battling a headwind was also a treat I could get used to again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hate people that refuse to ride trails. I’m not against people riding on the street when trying to get somewhere or anything but I hate when there is a perfectly good trail they refuse to use.

We have a great trail system in Urbandale and I still see people riding down Meredith when there is a great trail right there. I love riding the trails in Urbandale and do have to ride the street by my house as there isn’t an exit from the trail by my street but I think it’s important to minimize it. There’s a reason they built the trails and that is to keep people safe and not cause conflict points. People still need to treat bikes with care but I’m a lot less sympathetic for those that avoid the trails.
Before COVID when I would often bike 15 miles one way to work I took a lot of trails and bike lanes but I gave up on the trail on one stretch of the route. The trail is on the west side of the street and was fine when I was heading south since any cars coming out of the side street would be looking left to see cross traffic before turning right and see me as well. But when I was heading north so many drivers would look left at the stop sign and never look right before turning right. I got nearly hit an unacceptable number of times. It was frankly safer for me to ride in the street for that stretch especially since there weren't as many side streets along that side of the street because it parallels the river.